AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2001, 01:50 PM

We may have a VIO Mod 8KHA+ guys!

Well....go here and scroll down 1/4 of the page to the section "For Extreme Guys" and there's a link to the vcore mod and at the bottom of that page this guys details a VIO mod that "he hasn't tried yet"

Anyone know enough about the circuitry on these boards and electronics to know if this is a plausible solution?

Check it out...http://xoverclocker.com/

Epox guys....does this seem plausible??

1800XP @ 1.79 at 2.03v on liquid
Epox 8KHA+ Running 11.5x156
Visiontek GeForce3 Ti500 @ 280/615 - 72 watt Pelt
256 Megs Corsair XMS2400
Win2K Pro
3DMark2001 - Exactly 10,000 Default
http://gamershq.madonion.com/product...&dprid=1977730
Quake3 FPS - Plenty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 02:49 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Ewww, that VCore mod is fugly. I'm a little surprised it works. I think I've a better way of doing VCore, but I won't post it as I can't test it out, not having a EPoX board.

Can't help you with the VIO though.

AidanII
Old 22nd November, 2001, 03:10 PM
EPoX Tech

In PSU's with a potentiometer it should be possible to tweak the VIO with the pot of the 3.3v line.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 03:11 PM

I think we need to have Epox Tech check this out!!!! or maybe some guinea pigs want to try it!!!!

Roadrunner have you resolved your random reboots with your Vcore set to V2.3. I see over in the amdmb.com/epoxforums that you said "that you can reach 2.3volts". Stable/or not!!!!

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 03:50 PM
EPoX Tech

Just running an oscilloscope around that area and simulating a 1k ceramic does give a higher VIO, but I wouldn't recommend any guys removing and replacing SMT for giggles - it may all end in tears (ask dimmreaper about his GFX card).

The PSU tweaking method seems a little less invasive on the mainboard.

As ever these things are obviously carried out outside of the warranty.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
In PSU's with a potentiometer it should be possible to tweak the VIO with the pot of the 3.3v line.
Greeting EPoX Tech & to every AOA forumer's here,

I do own a 8KHA+ w/ a vI/O of 3.1~3.2v, i tried increasing the 3.3v line w/ the pot on my PSU but that doesn't help much so i increase abit more to 3.45v, still no good so increase abit more but the PSU will not function at all when i think above 3.45v, maybe i really need to mod the MB vI/O, simply relying on the PSU doens't really work becos i think my PSU have over voltage protection.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTY Paul.K,

I'm Omrons from 1 of the overclockers forum, nice to meet you here.

I think not all MB build the same when come to highly o/c~king, my previous 8KHA+ went dead due to some conductive material that seep beneath the northbridge & causing small light spark on the northbridge, though it's completely dead but it happen not to be a o/c~ble type, max after mod vI/O can't go above 2.05v & @2.05v it's simply not usable at all @ 1.53~1.76 GHz/2.05v, what i mean is under load will cause it to lock-up, but then i happen to bought a new 1 & this new 8KHA+ is able to sustain up-to vcore of 2.2v & w/o any hidup @1.53~1.76 GHz @2.15v though currently running @1.8 GHz using 2.16v for normal use, maybe somehow it's just pure luck, agreed?

Anyway, anyone tried the vI/O mod already, does it work? if it work do feed back cos mine need to warm up for 1 minute or press 2~3 time reset button to get it mid stable @1.8~1.81 GHz @ ambient of below 28C.

BTY, this 8KHA+ is stable & fast, the stability is just like my previous K7T Turbo LE.

Anyway, been quite busy so won't post much in either any of the forum.

Omrons.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul.K
I think we need to have Epox Tech check this out!!!! or maybe some guinea pigs want to try it!!!!

Roadrunner have you resolved your random reboots with your Vcore set to V2.3. I see over in the amdmb.com/epoxforums that you said "that you can reach 2.3volts". Stable/or not!!!!

Paul.K
Paul...actually...the highest vcore I can run stable is 2.03..not 2.3. Anything above 2.03 and the system reboots under any significant load. The comment I made about the 2.30v is that I can read that in the bios by cranking the 250k ohm pot I put in. I just wish my mobo would enable me to run a processor that high. I wouldn't even try to boot Windows since I know it can't do it 2.1 or better already.

256 Megs Corsair XMS2400
Win2K Pro
Quake3 FPS - Plenty
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Just running an oscilloscope around that area and simulating a 1k ceramic does give a higher VIO, but I wouldn't recommend any guys removing and replacing SMT for giggles - it may all end in tears (ask dimmreaper about his GFX card).

The PSU tweaking method seems a little less invasive on the mainboard.

As ever these things are obviously carried out outside of the warranty.
how much higher on the VIO when you did that? 3.5-3.7?

256 Megs Corsair XMS2400
Win2K Pro
Quake3 FPS - Plenty
Old 22nd November, 2001, 04:26 PM
EPoX Tech

With the Delta 460W PSU I managed a wonderfully stable 3.68v, but a Channel Well 325W achieved also 3.64v before flaking out.

Channel Well is a very respected PSU for a good value price.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 05:09 PM

Welcome to the AOAforums Omrons, glad to see more people from the overclockers forums joining in on the discussions posted on these set of forums.

I'll tweak my 400Watt Sparkle PSU tonight and see how high my 3.3, 5, and 12 volt lines will go..........

Maybe this might help me overclock my AGNGA XP1900+ to 1800Ghz stable on prime95.......

Paul.K

P.S.
Quote:
Paul...actually...the highest vcore I can run stable is 2.03..not 2.3. Anything above 2.03 and the system reboots under any significant load. The comment I made about the 2.30v is that I can read that in the bios by cranking the 250k ohm pot I put in. I just wish my mobo would enable me to run a processor that high. I wouldn't even try to boot Windows since I know it can't do it 2.1 or better already.

Roadrunner roger That!!!!!!
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Old 22nd November, 2001, 05:48 PM

I have just adjusted my VIO through PSU (PC Power and Cooling 450w)
It actually works, getting 3.67-3.69 in bios :-)

How high can I adjust without damaging my board?

Thanks
Old 22nd November, 2001, 05:53 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Caper
I have just adjusted my VIO through PSU (PC Power and Cooling 450w)
It actually works, getting 3.67-3.69 in bios :-)

How high can I adjust without damaging my board?

Thanks
I wouldn't go any higher than that personally.

Remember that the purpose of VIO increase is to make the northbridge more capable of running faster. So VIO modding is for higher FSB overclocks rather than higher internal CPU core speed overall.

It may strengthen the VccCore signal however (without increasing the voltage) which is excellent.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 06:03 PM

Wow, that was a fast reply :-)
Haven´t tested if this makes higher fsb settings stable but I will surely try.

Thanks.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 06:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

Quote:
With the Delta 460W PSU I managed a wonderfully stable 3.68v, but a Channel Well 325W achieved also 3.64v before flaking out.

Channel Well is a very respected PSU for a good value price.
so the deltas have pots?! i might do some warranty-voidage on mine soon, then.

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 03:29 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
I've been doing this for a while. While what the BIOS reports as the VIO does increase, no high FSB stability was gained.

I'm not 100% positive myself that what the BIOS calls the VIO is the VIO, and this is why, I'd like a few others to try this with there systems to confirm as well:

If I set my AGP card to 4X I should, and do, get a Vagp reading of 1.5V

If I set my AGP card to 2X I should get a Vagp reading of 3.3V, however I get less than that. Even if my PSUs +3.3V is turned way way up to 3.7V I get a Vagp reading of 3.26V when in 2X mode, not cool!

What the BIOS reports as the VIO is always equal to what my multi-meter reads when on the ATX +3.3V line at the same time.

I'm thinking this Vagp reading while in 2X AGP mode is the actual VIO and that what the BIOS calls the VIO is in reality just the PSUs +3.3V lines. (However interestingly, I have picked up voltages equal to the PSU's +3.3V rail on periferal cards throughout the system).

Anybody care to confirm my findings with there board?

Just remember fella's this is all just me speculating at this time, I could be way off base on this one.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 23rd November, 2001 at 03:33 AM.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 03:37 AM

Quote:
ask dimmreaper about his GFX card
Hey, I got my card at 220/202 up from my previous of 204/200 up from the defaul of 175/183, so it's all good

But EPoX Tech does make a good point! Don't dink with stuff unless:

1)You know exactly what your doing.
2)You are prepared to fix the part afterward.
3)You are prepared to throw the part away if it proves unfixable.
4)You know exactly what your doing! This one needed to be repeated.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2001, 03:45 AM

R263 looks to be a part of the 2.5V memory power supply. I think folks my be looking in the wrong place. I'll check in to it some more though.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2001, 11:04 AM

Hey guys,

I too last night tweaked my Sparkle 400Watt PSU. I got my Vio 3.3 rail up to 3.65volts and also tested to see if I could reach 1800Mhz stable by increasing FSB. However to my disappointment it was not stable.

So adjusting your 3.3 v rail above 3.3 will in my opinion have very little effect in increasing your overclockability.

Paul.K....
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium

Last edited by Paul.K; 23rd November, 2001 at 11:06 AM.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:19 PM
EPoX Tech

I have unfortunatley concluded similarly and have not been able to make any gains fgor you guys.

I am still not in particular favour of SMT resistor replacement however due to its very nature of riskyness and people possibly burning tracks etc and destroying their mainboard.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 04:54 PM

I dont think I'm brave enough to try the VIO mod......
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium