AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2003, 09:24 PM

Anyone tried an alpha 8045 on the northbridge?

I know this is absolute overkill but I have an apha 8045 heatsink that doesn´t do anygood anymore since I am watercooling. I don´t know if the holes fit thise huge heatsink though. Guess it´s to heavy to try to use arctic adhesive to make it fit.

One benefit of this solution would be that I barely should need a fan on it
Old 1st February, 2003, 09:37 PM

I myself would be more concerned with the weight/side stress that it will put on the nb.........
I used the center of a dual fan slot A hs( talk about value, this cost $18 and I have cut it up to get a bunch of hs's - using just the "ends" ), the holes on the model I got lined up PERFECTLY with the nb holes, so I through bolted it( plastic washers against the board), and even used one of the brand new ball bearing fans that came with it........ and it is not too tall, heavy or loud.

Good Luck.

muzz

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2003, 11:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

I don't think it's safe to use this kind of heatsink in the northbridge!! Too much weight and also, probably the size is too big!
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd February, 2003, 01:49 AM

I had a socket A cooler glued to a Slot 1 P3 core using AS epoxy, once its stuck it will not fall off....

If you ever try to remove it you will probably pull the NB off... so you need to be sure before you glue it.

TBH I think anything that big is total overkill.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 01:59 AM

Yes I know, but it feels like wasting such great hardware by just letting it pick dust. I think I will pass on it though since I has to move my pc now and then.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 02:18 AM

Damn, it´s so hard finding a good chipset cooler for my 8rda+

Have anyone heard of this, it should be farely quit NORTH Q SILENT ICE

dimensions 70x70x77

or

Titan D5T

80x80x60

I was also thinking of getting a zalman NB32J chipset cooler for the southbridge. It should be enough with a passive cooler for that?
Old 2nd February, 2003, 02:30 AM

If you are going to epoxy it on a 40mm ow profile hs with a good sunon 7.4k fan will do fine ( I had that on my other board), or you could get a socket7 hsf..... and take out the clip- thats about the same size as the hsf I have on mine now.. not heavy, not too loud, cheap, readily available,come in different depths, and should be as good or better than a more expensive Iceberg style.

I don't know how handy you are with tools, or what you have even.. so it takes away a few ideas.

IMO if you are going to AS epoxy it on a socket7 hsf should be mint.... or you could cut a few fins off of it, drill a couple holes and through bolt it if you are good with tools( and have them).

Lot of options...........

Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life.........

I have a pool and a pond........ pond would be good for you though.

Last edited by muzz; 2nd February, 2003 at 02:32 AM.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 05:16 AM

I've personally found that the NB is extremely easy to cool if you haven't done a VDD mod and you just have some sort of airflow. I put AS3 under mine and got temps in the area of 50+c, but as soon as I tore the fan out of a crystal orb and stuck it on the heatsink, temps dropped to barely above ambient.

This week I'll be getting a Zalman NB cooler plus a 5.9CFM Papst 40mm 6k rpm, that should be easily sufficient, and probably better than the current one because of the optimal setup of the pins compared to the solid lump of aluminium that absorbs most of the heat on the default cooler.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 03:14 PM

Great you are getting the zalman nbj passive chipset cooler? So 40 mm fans will fit on it? I measured my mainboard to night and it seems really tight to fit 80 mms coolers on them.
Old 2nd February, 2003, 03:55 PM

Does a 50 mm fan fit on the zalman?