AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2001, 06:43 PM

Hi guys, me and my 8KHA+ are ready to join the ranks!

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I’ve read some of your posts with absolute interest – great forum you’ve got here. Having Epox Tech makes it all the more interesting.

Thought I’d introduce myself with a rundown of my new system and some opinions of my new Epox.

I'm running an 8KHA+ at 166 FSB with fastest memory settings on a single stick of 256Mb Crucial 2100 DDR @ 2.8V.

It was SO easy to hit this FSB.

This motherboard is extremely stable, although I think that this is as much a testament to the KT266A as it is to Epox. Some people are running in the 170's stable with this board but have got the DDR set @ 3.0V and above - too high for my liking.

Even though the Epox is 100% stable in my tests at these insane FSBs, there is an issue with resetting the machine over 155. It powers on and shuts down 100% fine, but soft reset means you'll have to hit the reset button to bring it back to life. I've also heard some people receiving bad bios chips causing boot problems at default speed, although Epox replaced them immediately. Mine had "L" on the chip and works great, but you might want to check before buying.

Note, however, I realise that boot problems at a given speed can also be due to insufficient power, PCI card limitations or bios code issues. For the latter I've heard the new 11/02 bios helps out a lot.

Any more info on these points would be appreciated. For instance, I have a Macron 300W PSU, 165W combined. Would a new Sparkle PSU solve my reboot issue over 155FSB? The new bios changed nothing; so I think it must be hardware related.

Still, hitting the reset button once in a blue moon is a small price to pay for 166 FSB. The memory scores are both approx. either side of a 1000 with a Duron 800@1000 at this speed.

People who are having memory issues with the new XP as opposed to the old Thunderbird in Sandra, apparently a new version of Sandra is to be released making better use of the XP’s support for DDR ram and the KT266A. It very much looks like the standard test needs changing for XP processors, but only time will tell. This issue has happened on all KT266A motherboards (someone correct me if I’m wrong), and I’m sure it will be sorted out soon.

Read here:

New Sandra

I've ran prime95, memtest86, 3Dmark loop and done binary checks on copied files from different IDE devices. All tests pass at 166 with no lock-ups. That's what I call stability!

Here is memtest, a program VITAL to those overclocking RAM:

Memtest

Some points about the 100/133 jumper:

I've got the jumper set to 100 FSB, but the bios set to 166 FSB on my 8KHA+.

From what I can tell, the truth is the jumper is only to allow the CPU and memory to boot before the bios gets a chance to take over. True soft boot jumper-less motherboards like the Abit KT7A have the bios take control right from the off so don't require this jumper.

Once the computer has booted, the bios takes complete control of the settings and the 100/133 jumper no longer plays a part.

As mentioned above, I'm running 166 FSB (??PCI 41.5, AGP 83??) with DDR 2.8V. I’m a bit worried about the PCI / AGP speeds at this setting. Even though I’ve read all the posts about the 1/5 divider that should be kicking in at 160, can anyone steady my nerves about running my system and devices at this speed? Will I be ok? Have others ran motherboards at these speeds for long lengths of time?

This post might read like a bit of a long winded rant, but I've just sat here and blurted it out with no proof reading - sorry! I am new after all.....................

Last edited by spirits247; 22nd November, 2001 at 09:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:00 PM

Welcome to the board (says a total newbie)

Im also running a new 8KHA+ although ive not had the same sucsess youve had, probably due to my poor PSU.

One interestin point was what you said about the 100/133 mhz jumper. As im running a duron i set it to 100.

I then overclocked to 133 and problems getting the PC to boot, although once booted it was stable.

I set the jumper to 133 and it wouldnt post, what happens with your machine ? Are you running a duron 800 too ?

I think i might try upping the DDR voltage as i didnt venture above 2.8v, i also might take a stuck of ram out (im also running crucial DDR)

Thanks allot for the informative post as youve given me some ideas.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:21 PM

Hi there!

First of all yes, I'm running a Duron 800@1000 (166*6.5)

I can't boot with the jumper at 133, but at 100 it's fine.
I think this is because the 100FSB Duron is trying to boot at 133*8=1064 (ie it's default multiplier) at default voltage (1.65) before the bios has a chance to take over the settings, thus pushing it beyond spec and freezing.

When you use the 100FSB jumper, it boots at 100*8=800 at 1.65V which is fine, then the bios takes control and bumps everything up to where you want it .

Surprised about your problem. With 2 sticks of DDR ram typically you should require 0.1V higher settings than I'm using for the same FSB. At 133, the default setting of 2.5V should be fine, 2.6 absolute max!

Ok let's work through this. Is your Duron unlocked?

What is your power supply, more importantly its combined power on the 5 and 3 volt rails?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:52 PM

Hi

My duron is unlocked with conductive paint and ive multiplyers from 6 to 15 avalable.

Ive tried getting it to boot cold at 133x6 with the voltage at 1.8v and with the memory at 3v but it still wouldnt boot.

I now think that either i have a bad bios (it says N+ on it) or that my PSU isnt up to the job, and that seems allot more likely than bad bios.

On the top of my PSU it says +5v @ 35A and 3.3v @ 14A so those wattages combined are 221.2, dose that mean im definately underpowered ?

As your running a duron im assuming (for now) that my chip dosent have a problem with high fsb as yours runs Ok at 166.

Im going to try with one stic kof ram now, but i dont think it will help.

Thanks for the help.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:53 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Hi, I'm a newbie too.

I'm running an Epox 8KTA2 (KT133 chipset, ick!) and an Athy 1000. Be getting my Ti200 tommorrow, I knew that cross-country would come in handy

I'd only worry about the 5V rail personally. Dimmreaper and Epox Tech are both very knowledgeable about these sort of things so they may have some other ideas.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:58 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Hi

My duron is unlocked with conductive paint and ive multiplyers from 6 to 15 avalable.

Ive tried getting it to boot cold at 133x6 with the voltage at 1.8v and with the memory at 3v but it still wouldnt boot.

I now think that either i have a bad bios (it says N+ on it) or that my PSU isnt up to the job, and that seems allot more likely than bad bios.

On the top of my PSU it says +5v @ 35A and 3.3v @ 14A so those wattages combined are 221.2, dose that mean im definately underpowered ?

As your running a duron im assuming (for now) that my chip dosent have a problem with high fsb as yours runs Ok at 166.

Im going to try with one stic kof ram now, but i dont think it will help.

Thanks for the help.
You can't just add them up like that, because it doesn't work that way. For instance, my Antec adds up to 196, but on the box it says 160. Here's what I'd do. Download MBM5.1 from our File Download Center (www.aoafiles.com). It's under CPU Apps. Then run it and tell us what it displays for the 5V wire. It should be pretty close to 5.00V. I believe +-.25V is the maximum deviation, although I prefer to be within +-.1V.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:04 PM

LOL

I just downloaded MM5 and i was posting as it downloaded. Ill post back in a minute with all the voltages.
I suspect that the 5v is running very low.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:09 PM

Superman is right!

Your PSU should be ok for a Duron.

My 300W Macron has:

+3.3V = 14A, +5.0v = 30A, combined 165W.

My 5V line runs as low as 4.81!, but everything is rock stable - I can run 3 benchmarks simultaneously or 3dmark all day without problems.

Last edited by spirits247; 22nd November, 2001 at 10:12 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:10 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
LOL

I just downloaded MM5 and i was posting as it downloaded. Ill post back in a minute with all the voltages.
I suspect that the 5v is running very low.
Cool, that would be my suspection also. 3V on the vDIMM is quite high and may be drawing a bit of power.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:12 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by spirits247
Superman is right!

Your PSU should be ok for a Duron.

My 300W Macron has:

+3.3V = 14A, +5.0v = 30A, combined 165W.
You must remember how much he overclocked the memory and he probably has a ton of crap like cd-roms and the such. I think the 5v rail will give us a definitive answer.

EDIT: On oc.com (and on this forum once in a great while) Jon runs his at 4.76V with no problems. It all depends on like it seems. If mine goes below 4.9V I get problems.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:20 PM

Right ive installed and rebooted.

The +5v seems to fluctuate allot.

The lowest it went was 4.87 and the highest was 4.92, is this normal ?

The +3.3v reads 1.52v so i assume that thats a error (isnt it ?)

Ive tried a variety of voltages on the DDR and it dosent seem to make any diference what it set it to.

Also i can run 10x100fsb and 133mhz memory with stock voltages
Im sure that its the high fsb thats the problem, or to be more specific it causes something else to fail.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:25 PM

The 5 voltage looks ok to me. Mine fluctuates between 4.87 and 4.81 @ 166 FSB. No stability problems like mentioned above. I've also got LOADS of crap installed in my system - 2 HDs, CDRW, DVD, 2 case fans and 3 cards.

That 1.52 voltage sounds like a 4x AGP voltage - have another look!

Last edited by spirits247; 22nd November, 2001 at 10:27 PM.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:25 PM
Systems Administrator

More Mhz = More Power Draw

Not sure about if fluctution is bad. As for FSB, once you get over 160mhz, you're PCI devices are roughly back in spec again, the clock generator makes the PCI devices run at 1/5 divider starting at 160mhz. I'll let Dimmreaper and Epox Tech pass judgement on this

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd November, 2001, 10:32 PM

I had to setup MM5 for my board the 3.3v is exactly at 3.3 so i cant see a problem there.

I dont think that cooling is a problem as it wouldnt boot from a cold start when the CPU wasnt heated up, but it did boot after a restart when everything is warm.

Could it be that i need to warm my PC up to get it to boot at higher speeds, should i do a hairdryer mod ?

Has anybody else got any idea on what i can try ?

Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:01 PM

Things are getting stranger and stranger.

Im now running at 8x133=1066mhz

I ran at stock settings 8x100 and ran ten lots of sandra CPU benchmarks till the CPU temperature leveled out at 37c then rebooted and changed the Multiplyers and it posted fine at 1066. Im running 1.8v and 3v

Im now going to try to crash it by folding whyle playing games and running 3d mark.

If it wont crash then ill try letting it cool down and then ill heat the CPU and PSU with a hairdryer and then ill try to boot again

I think i might have set the memory timings to normal rather than standard this time, maybe that has something to do with it ?

Has anybody got a explanation of these odd effects as my heat related explanation seems ridiculous.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:14 PM

You may have a good Duron, but I'd be very surprised if it can run at 1066 and still pass prime95 with 1.8V.

Mine crashes out at 989!

Please try the following:

What bios are you running? 11/02 I hope

Next try resetting the CMOS jumper. Pull the power cable out the back of the machine, place the jumper in the clear position for a minute, put back and power-up. Immediately enter bios.

Set all your settings back to optimal, and make sure the auto detect dim/pci is enabled (under frequency/voltage). This helps reduce EMI by shutting down unused slots.

Try 133*7, 1.8V, 2.6V DDR normal then all fastest timings since you've got crucial.

Then try 150*6.5 next (975), 2.8V DDR (for 2 sticks) with turbo, CAS 2, 4 way and 8 burst (ie fastest) memory timings like above.

Tell me what happens.
Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:30 PM

Im going to try to find prime95 now as i want to know if im realy running stable at this speed or if its just a fluke.

I did have it running at 135x8=1080 and i couldnt crash it last night.

Its just this not posting thing thats i dont understand.

Ill try all the stuff you suggested and ill post back when i have.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:39 PM

I ran the prime 95 torture test and the CPU failed.

Im now going to turn off and try the settings you suggested.

Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

WELCOME spirits247 and Holst! Hope you find all you need to feel right at home and yes our EPoX Tech is a treasure!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:48 AM

Ive tried the stuff you suggsted spirits

At 133x7 1.8v it boots fine at standard memory settings adn at turbo settings at 2.8v

It also passed prime95 with these settings

At 150x6.5 it wouldnt boot
I then tried 150x6 and still no post.
Then i tried 145x6 and it posted
Then 147x6 and it posted
Then 148x6 and no post
Then 147 x 7.5 and it posted
Then 147 x 7.4 and highest memory settings and it posted

Im now running prime95 at 147x7.5 and its passed the first two tests, so i think its stable.

I also turned off, unplugged the power and the nrebooted and it worked at 147x7.5

Thanks for all your help, I wouldnt have got so far without your advice.