AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2001, 08:50 PM

8KHA+ Overclocking with duron 800

I got my 8KHA+ a couple of days aggo and apart from some problems with the operating system installation (all my own stupid fault) everything went fine.

Heres the full spec

8KHA+ rev 2
Duron 800
Taisol 760 (33 idle 45 load)
2 x 256mb Crucial DDR
Elsa Geforce3 (no overclocking)
45gb IBM 75 XGP
2 year old Awowana/advance 300watt psu (from my P3)

As you can see im running a old PSU that isnt AMD approved.

Last night i tried various settings and these are the fastest i obtained were
8x135 = 1080 mhz with 1.8v and 2.7v
7x147 = 1030mhz with 1.8v and 2.7v

Memory was set to turbo and setting it to standard and increasing voltage didnt help the no boot problem.

I had the highest benchmarks with 1080 mhz, sandra memory was 790/945 and i got 6344 in 3d mark 2001.
On this setting i folded whyle running 3d mark and then using the net for aroung three hours, so i assumed it was stable.

Its also worth mentioning that i didnt turn off my PC to change the bios, i rebooted it.

Then this morning i turned on and it wouldnt post, needless to say i was disapointed.

I then booted at standard settings and everything was fine. I then rebooted and replaced the previous nights overclock and it failed to post again. After running the machine for 30 min on standard settings i rebooted and tried the overclocked ones and it booted and ran as before.
I then turned it off and i wouldnt boot.

It seems that It wont post from a "cold" start with those overclocked settings. Infact it wont post at 133x6 = 800 on a cold boot. It will however post at 100x10=1000 from cold. Thats how im running it now.
The speed of the memory dosent seem to be a factor as it boots every time with the ram clock set to 133 and turbo settings.

So.. is this non post due to my poor PSU, or could there be another cause. Maybee something to do with the boot sequence being diferent after a restart ?
Could it be that the duron dislikes 133mhz fsb ?
If anybody has any ideas on why i cant post at 133mhz fsb please post.

I want to run at the higher fsb as it seems to give a huge performance boost. My sandra memory score is far lower at 100fsb even though the memory is clocked at 133. Ive lost 1000 points in 3d mark through the reduced CPU speed and memory bandwith and its frustrating to know that it ran for several hours at those faster settings.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!