AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2001, 09:48 PM

Safe Voltages?

Hi there,
Just wanted to know whether these voltages were OK?

my 5v goes to 4.84v under load and 4.87-4.89 idle
and my Vio (not sure whether thats 3.3v) is at 3.23 under load and 3.25 idle,

VDIMM is at 2.62 under load and 2.63 idle

Are these safe voltages?

I'm running my athlon XP 1700+ and epox 8kha+ on a 250watt PSU... LOL

I opened up the case of the PSU (to see if there was any adjustable POTS... there was none unfortunatly) and on the circuit is had a ATX 2.01, what does this mean?

Not sure whether to get a 300watt, I wont be getting any add-ons for my PC now, seems to be fine atm (I think)
Havent had any reset issues but I run my system at stock speed so I have no idea what it would be like under o/c conditions
Old 22nd November, 2001, 11:17 PM

Ok now im cursed, my system is randomly locking up in windows i.e mouse pointer and keyboard freezes and when it does my cpu fan goes faster as if its under load, Im not sure about the PSU really, I think the voltages im gettin are quite good and my CPU temp is always 43-50c idle and load, I've had the board and CPU around 2 weeks and I've never got this before!!! Im running WinME btw...
I really don't wanna order a new PSU unless its definatly that which is the problem, as my budget is very very tight after buying this stuff.
What beats me is why its doing this now and not when I got the stuff new...
Since I've been gettin these lockups I've done the following...
Installed a new BETA bios which I found here....
http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=76356

No idea what it exactly does at the moment though....

It froze an hour ago with that so I went back to the most recent official BIOS and its still giving me the same grief

Also I've installed a new floppy disk drive as I havent had one installed for months now and I needed one, but surely this wouldn't affect the rest of the system???

Need help urgently ppl!
Cheers
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:22 AM
eobard

My 5v line craps my system out at 4.835v or less so the 5v line could be your problem, although I'm not using a EPoX board so there could be other things too. Sorry that isn't much help.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Sounds like the PSU is wussing out to me.

Try dropping the CPU multiplier and Vcore some, this will reduce the ammount of power consumption. Leave the FSB as is for this little experiment. See if your crashing problem goes away. If it does, then a new PSU will probably help. If it doesn't go away, the problem might be elsewere, possibly even software. Odds are that a 250W PSU is just way too small. A generic 300W PSU was too small for overclocking with my 8KHA+ . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 23rd November, 2001 at 01:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 10:56 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for the replies, I've ordered a 350watt Sparkle PSU so i'll let you guys know how I get on with it
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:08 PM
EPoX Tech

As it is always to state -

The prime importance with any PC system is balance. One needs to run a system whereby the mainboard is good enough for the PSU which is backed up by enough memory which has a comparable amount and quality of storage media both fixed and unfixed.

Underneath this needs to be a power supply which is sufficient in every way to power everything correctly.

A 250W PSU may be okay in a Celeron based system but is never going to be adequately balanced in relation to a DDR Athlon system based on a multiphase power solution.

Whenever anyone builds a system, there are always so many factors to take into a account. I see many people running Athlon XP with GF2MX200 and think to my self - why spend $220 on a CPU, $120 on a mainboard and only $35 on a graphics card.

If a system is out of balance, something will always be lagging and ultimatley causing the end user concern.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Gibber
Hi there,
Thanks for the replies, I've ordered a 350watt Sparkle PSU so i'll let you guys know how I get on with it
The Sparkle 350 is a very nice PSU, I'm running one with my 8KHA+ as I type this. You might want to consider tweaking the trimmer pots inside when you get it. My +5V rail was just a hair below spec(though very constant), so I tweaked it a bit, currently at +5.1V under 100% load, this alone was worth 2MHz FSB. My Sparkle didn't have a "warrantee void if broken or removed" sticker across the seem of the enclosure either, so you won't have to void that warrantee for a better OC.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:27 PM

Hi there,
I never managed to order a 350watt Sparkle in the end
The company who I ordered it off do not supply them any more so I'm on the look out for another good PSU for my computer,

I made a new thread here regarding a new PSU:

Best PSU for EPoX 8KHA+ ?

Regards
Mark