AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th February, 2003, 04:20 AM

Cant get DDR400 detected higher then DDR333

Here are my settings in the BIOS, currently no overclocking on a 2100+ CPU. Latest BIOS is installed.

System Performance is set to Expert
CPU Clock Ratio to Default
FSB 133MHz
CPU Interface is set to Aggressive
Memory Frequency is set to By SPD
Memory timing is set to Turbo

I have NO stability issues but would like to have my memory detected as DDR400 (OCZ). Is this not possible without actually overclocking my unit (changing the FSB). Setting the Memory Frequency to anything above 125% (166MHz) makes the unit not boot, I need to remove RTC battery to reset BIOS defaults.

Changing my system FSB or CPU Clock Ratio will make the 2100+ default back to 1500+ settings. To fix this I figure I would need to get a 2800+ or "fix" my 2100+ so that I can overclock it. Is my assumption correct... anything else I can do ?

Thanks.
Old 4th February, 2003, 04:48 AM

Try taking out the Jclk jumper. Have you tried holding down insert and tapping del on reboot when bios settings fail?

Have you tried manually setting things up the way you want? Rather than trying to get it to recognise it itself?

If you set the memory at 100% and FSB to 200Mhz then DDR400 will be displayed. Just as if you have pc2100 and run synch (100%) with the FSB at 166. To achieve this you must change the CPU to a lower value.

If you cant set it up manually, only then do you have a problem.
Old 4th February, 2003, 05:23 AM

I'm having the same problems as ErorZ, except my settings are set at optimal and I'm using Corsair DDR400 XMS. How does one go about manully setting the the memory specs. I tried installing XP Pro on my computer this weekend and was unsuccessful. I talked to the the tech support of the internet seller where I bought the XP Pro from and after a lengthy discussion he decided that my memory was bad. Now how do you tell if the memory is bad or is it just that my 8rda+ can't read the memory I have right?

captkirk
Old 4th February, 2003, 10:42 AM

Re: Cant get DDR400 detected higher then DDR333

Quote:
Originally posted by ErorZ
Here are my settings in the BIOS, currently no overclocking on a 2100+ CPU. Latest BIOS is installed.

System Performance is set to Expert
CPU Clock Ratio to Default
FSB 133MHz
CPU Interface is set to Aggressive
Memory Frequency is set to By SPD
Memory timing is set to Turbo

I have NO stability issues but would like to have my memory detected as DDR400 (OCZ). Is this not possible without actually overclocking my unit (changing the FSB). Setting the Memory Frequency to anything above 125% (166MHz) makes the unit not boot, I need to remove RTC battery to reset BIOS defaults.

Changing my system FSB or CPU Clock Ratio will make the 2100+ default back to 1500+ settings. To fix this I figure I would need to get a 2800+ or "fix" my 2100+ so that I can overclock it. Is my assumption correct... anything else I can do ?

Thanks.
You may have to up the dim voltage and try chnaging the mem timings manually, although I dont think you'll get much of a performance gain from doiing this, my fsb is usually at 166 same as memory but when I up the memory but not the cpu i actually lower performance
Old 4th February, 2003, 04:38 PM

Maybe the SPD rom on your RAM stick is not progammed correctly by the manufacturer.
I read in a recent article (German C't magazine) that most SPD roms of DDR400 sticks do not present the correct timings to the mobo. So you have to set them manually.

Max
Old 4th February, 2003, 06:39 PM

That would make sense being that my Memory Frequency is set to By SPD, and its being detected as 166MHz DDR333.

Setting it manually to 125% of 133Mhz (BUS speed) also makes it 166MHz and detected as DDR333.

Setting it to anything above 125% however makes the machine no longer boot. Only way to fix it is removing the RTC battery to reset the BIOS.
Old 4th February, 2003, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterAtArms
Try taking out the Jclk jumper. Have you tried holding down insert and tapping del on reboot when bios settings fail?
Have you tried this yet?
Old 4th February, 2003, 11:32 PM

yup, nogo

Took out the JCLK jumper, changed the memory settings and same thing happened. Very long beep, pause, very long beep, then an alarm type beep start and doesn't stop, but the very long beep continues at the same interval while the alarm beep is sounding. C1 error also appears. Only way to boot up again is to remove the RTC to clear the BIOS.

Tried holding Insert and tapping on Del multiple tmes, after an error appear, before an error appeared, after cleaing CMOS, after changing settings... none of which seem to produce any effect.

After clearing the CMOS, default settings are 1500+ CPU and DDR333 is detected, changing my FSB to 133 will get me 2100+ but will cause my memory to be detected as DDR200 until I tweak the settings as stated above.

All attempts to set memory higher then 166MHz (IE having it detect as DDR400) have caused the unit to not boot)

Last edited by ErorZ; 4th February, 2003 at 11:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2003, 12:44 AM

ummm

Seems I lied, I DON'T have the latest BIOS. Ill try it tonigh as it seems to fix a problem with error C1, when "overclocking" memory... Only problem is im not overclocking my memory as it is DDR400 !!! I'll try it and let you all know.

Latest BIOS dated 1/29/2003 ftp://ftp.epox.com/motherboard/suppo...S/8RDA3129.exe

Description
1/29/2003 - 271KB
Update ROMSIP & BPL (V2.84). Changed AGP Aperture Size default from 32MB to 64MB. Solved hang-up at post C1(h), when memory over clock. Added IDE DMA transfer function support.
Old 5th February, 2003, 01:09 AM

Um you are clocking to 166Mhz, fine. Then you want to jump to 200Mhz? Ok I did the same, but you may not be so lucky. I only made the jump to 200Mhz after I put cooling on the MOSFETs, so I can't say 200Mhz works for my board without the MOSFET cooling or NB 60mm fan because I simply have not tried it without.

One thing to note is that before learning the insert trick (which works for me) I had to make an intermediate overclock of my CPU to 2250Mhz @ 1.85v and then got to 2339Mhz @ 1.925v. If I tried to jump straight there it would sound the bios alarm.

You may do well to take it easy and try to "overclock" past 166 at maximum 5Mhz at a time. Then immediately run 3dmark to check for stability.

This total bios failure is symtomatic of making too large a jump and overclocking way past what the board will be stable at.

I hope you heed my advice since I offer it soley because you asked for it!

Last edited by MasterAtArms; 5th February, 2003 at 01:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!