AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:26 AM

Unhappy EPOX 8KHA+ HIGH PING with Online gaming with cable modem

Before I purchased the new EPOX 8KHA+ I had a EPOX EP-MVP3G2 with a VIA chip set and a AMD K6-III 450 with 256MB of ram. I was connected to time warner cable and it played on line games flawlessly with very low pings. Well it came time to upgrade so I purchased a AMD XP 1500 cpu with 256 of DDR PC2100 ram and a new EPOX 8KHA+ motherboard. Well when I tried to play the same games my ping was very high and I had alot of ingame lag. So I figured something was wrong with the cable but just to be sure I hooked up my old computer and bang my connection was lighting fast again and the games I played Counter-strike and Mechwarrior 4 where lighting fast again I mean really low pings between 70 and 120. So when I hooked up my new system with the EPOX 8KHA+ and 1500 Athlon XP bam again by ping went up and ingame lag started again. I am running windows 98 SE and cant figure out what is going on. I know its not my cable connection and it has something to do with the new system. Does anyone have any idea on what can possibly be going on is there some strange new setting with this board to make it work.
I used exact same hardware I had in the first computer only difference is the mobo and ram and CPU.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KTV_Striker
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Try swapping the NIC from your old comp. to your new one and see if you get the low pings again.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 09:15 AM
Mr Swede

I can't belive this has something to do with the EPoX board.
I play a lot online too and didn't see any difference in ping when I switched mobo+cpu.
It must be something with your configuration. Try what Superman said, switch nic and do some tweaking of your system.
A nice tweakguide can be find at 3D Spotlight
Old 23rd November, 2001, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

The mobo most likely will not make a difference, but it all comes down to settings. try a different nic, and go to www.cyberwizardpit.com and dl one of their internet tweaks....
Old 23rd November, 2001, 11:16 AM

I have to agree with the others, lag has very little to do with your motherboard.

What you need to do is some tweaking of Windows 98 and also your online games e.g Counterstrike.

For example for counterstrike:

in console:

type cl_updaterate 5-30
cl_cmdrate 5

I have changed these rates for some particular servers and I can achieve 130-150 ping rate on an ordinary 56K modem.....

Tweaking is the key!!!!!

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 12:32 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

As you're running 98SE,

Check the IRQ that the network card is on, and see if it matches anything else. I've seen speed decreases when the network card is on the same IRQ as the soundcard or graphics card.

Check that the drivers are all up to date. Run DXDiag and see what you get. Use MSInfo to see what IRQs are shared.

AidanII
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:14 PM
EPoX Tech

I will second Aiden on this if 16/32bit windows kernel is used. Windows 2000 on the other hand will report IRQ's whilst not allowing without an abstraction layer to detract the IRQ placement for each device.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 07:14 PM

Checked IRQs

Ok I checked my IRQs my nic card is using IRQ 11 with have the dam rest of the computers hardware i.e. geforce card and sound card and Via Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller 3 of those. Why is there so many things on that 1 IRQ (11) anyways not to lose the point of this situation, I dont see any free IRQs but should I move it to another IRQ that is less crowded.
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 Creative SB16 Emulation
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 MPU-401 Compatible
11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 32-Bit PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
11 Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3
11 Creative SB Live!
11 NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary Bus Master IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
Above is a copy of my IRQs. So to free up my 32-Bit Fast Ethernet Adapter which will hopefully get my low online ping back where do you recommend that I move it. Thanks for the info so far I feel like maybe we are on the right track I just need a little more help I would like to thank those who have already given up there time to help me Thank you.
KTV_Striker