AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:02 PM

Best PSU for EPoX 8KHA+ ?

Hi there,
I was gonna go and buy a Sparkle 350watt PSU today but they're harder to get than I orginally thought in this country, now I only have about £50-65 to spend on a PSU so can anyone recommend a PSU that's an all round performer for this motherboard? I'm currently on an Athlon XP 1700+ setup with the 8KHA+ (great board)

Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks
Mark.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:12 PM
EPoX Tech

I believe that CCL in the UK are vending the HEC300 LRP PSU which I have personally built into a Morgan 1.2GHz system using 8KHA - very very stable PSU in comparison to many other 300W PSU and obviously superior to any 250W PSU.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:20 PM

Hi there,
Thankyou for the quick reply
I'm seriously considering ordering this PSU that you have suggested,
Would this be fine for my system?
Specs:
Epox 8KHA+ mobo
Athlon XP 1700+
Nvidia GF2 GTS
Cheap PCI sound card
256mb crucial DDR memory
1 x cd-rw
1 x 24x pioneer slot-in cd drive
1 x 40gb quantum fireball AS 7200rpm
1 case fan (getting another 2 soon though)

Cheers
Mark
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:37 PM
EPoX Tech

Mr Commerford if I remember correctly,

Yeah - the PSU is fine. Remember that the critical area of the PSU only needs to be sufficient to supply the following in initial boot :

1. CPU
2. Northbridge
3. VGA
4. Memory

Only after display initialisation and BIOS transfer to memory is the full chipset initialised and the more level and regular power requirement bought into effect.

Boot up (cold or warm) and POST of the machine is the most PSU intensive operation that exists, and is where the combined wattage value of a PSU is most important.

After boot, the overall stability of the PSU becomes paramount as this is what is needed for the system to then remain stable - any spikes or troughing will cause your system to hang solid or reboot.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:49 PM

Okay I shall get that PSU now

Did I get in contact with you VIA e-mail? If so, aplogies for not being able to respond to the e-mails, Tiscali SMTP mail servers have been down for quite some time now and I haven't been able to get in reply with anyone

As regarding the other problems (the flickering display) I managed to resolve this by temporarily removing devices (power shortage problem)

And the CPU idle thing I mentioned about, I changed register 92 on WPCREDIT from 69 to E9, it enabled bit 7 (Disc when STPGNT# Detect.... command) which in effect dramatically lowered my CPU temps by 10c more more.
I later found that this gave my machine instabilities (machine resetting by self) although this could be a power supply problem in itsself

Last edited by wild_andy_c; 23rd November, 2001 at 01:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 01:55 PM
EPoX Tech

No problems for no response.

I didn't know at the point of response that your PSU was so lowly specified - this is possibly throwing the whole system.
Old 26th November, 2001, 02:09 PM

Hi there,
Just received the HEC300 watt PSU, noticed that the combined power was only 165 watt
thought it would of been more than that
As for voltages, my VIO is now @ 3.34 whereas it was 3.21-3.24 before, also my 5v rail is 4.87-4.92v under load which isnt too bad i guess