AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd November, 2001, 02:33 PM

What's your sweet FSB for the 8KHA+?

Although I can run my 8KHA+ at 166 and even higher, I have soft reboot problems at this speed - I need to hit the reset button to kick the system back to life. Power on and off and stability however, are 100% ok. I have had one or two rare but strange instances while running this high however.

Since this reboot issue kicks in around 151-5 FSB onwards, I've decided that the sweet spot for this board is the 150 mark for my set-up (I also like rounded numbers )

It runs flawlessly at this speed, and although I crank it up to 166 for video encoding and other CPU intensive tasks, 150 is the FSB I put forward as the perfect running speed for the best ratio of performance/stability and problem free operation of the 8KHA+.

What's the overall best FSB you've found?

In other words, what’s your sweet spot for this board?

Last edited by spirits247; 23rd November, 2001 at 03:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 04:42 PM

I have recently purchased a XP1900+, however before this I had an XP1800+ that I unlocked and it ran stable at 160FSB without any problems. At this speed I too had rebooting issues so I upted the multiplier and set my FSB to 150. This I thought was the best combination since I was geeting a headache with the warm rebooting issue.

Still havent unlocked the XP1900+, just waiting for the Abit KR7A.
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2001, 04:58 PM
EPoX Tech

If for whatever reason this soft reboot is occuring, 150MHz FSB is a good level at which the memory can be tuned further to increase bandwidth to a maximum.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Mine runs flawlessly all the way up to 154, but I never restart so 164 it is for me I can boot win2K all the way up to 172, but havn't had luck getting it 100% stable at those speeds, poor me NEED MORE POWER !!! I hope the 8KHA2 proves to be a better high FSB board . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:11 PM
EPoX Tech

8KHA2 is a quad phase design (2+2phase) very similar in some ways to 8K7A series.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
If for whatever reason this soft reboot is occuring, 150MHz FSB is a good level at which the memory can be tuned further to increase bandwidth to a maximum.
Yes, I've definately found this to be the case at 150, but not just because of the memory timings - I can have them all maxed out right up to 166 and beyond (Crucial) - it's due to the fact I'm not frying my DDR and instead running it at a nice 2.7V instead of 2.9V+

By the way, this has been the best motherboard I've owned so far - very impressive.

Can't complain about the soft reboot as it happens out of spec - it could be because I've only got a 165W combined PSU.

Last edited by spirits247; 23rd November, 2001 at 05:42 PM.
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:17 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by spirits247

Yes, I've definately found this to be the case at 150, but not because of the memory timings - I can have them all maxed out right up to 166 and beyond (Crucial) - it's due to the fact I'm not frying my DDR and instead running it at a nice 2.7V instead of 2.9V+
The memory can be timed manually further than Turbo
Old 23rd November, 2001, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech

The memory can be timed manually further than Turbo
Yep, that's what I meant when I said "all maxed out". CAS2, 4 way interleave, 8 burst legnth, the works:

SDRAM Cycle Length = 2
Bank Interleave = 4 Bank
DRAM Prechg to Act CMD = 2T
DRAM Act to Prechg CMD = 6T (DO NOT CHANGE TO 5T)
DRAM Active to CMD = 2T
DRAM Burst Length = 8
DRAM Queue Depth = 4
DRAM Drive Strength = Auto
DRAM Command Rate = 1T Command
DCLKI = 0
DCLKO = 0
Fast R-W = Enable
Continuous DRAM Req = Enable

Works like that fine up to 166 and beyond on a single 256Mb crucial stick, but DDR voltage is 2.9+ and the soft reboot issue kicks in after 154.

Still, like I said earlier, I'm one very happy and impressed customer. Keep up the good work.