AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2003, 11:23 AM

New 8RDA+ and existing XP PRO

HI.
I have just bought myself a new EPOX 8RDA+ n-force2 Mainboard, and XP 2400+
CPU, 2X 256mb pc-3200 DDR and an 80GB HDD to replace my EPOX 8KHA+ etc......

What I want to know is:
Is it possible to remove from XP details of installed hardware so that XP
will detect the new hardware withhout causing conflicts?
The only hardware I plan on keeping is my Geforce 4800 Ti and my ISDN card
as the mainboard has sound and lan on-board.
I know it is possible to ghost my old HDD to the new one, put it on the new
mainboard and do a repair installation, but I was wondering if I could
pre-empt this by getting XP to look for new hardware on start up (with all
other hardware removed).

I remember doing something similar to Win98 by starting in safe mode and
removing ALL hardware from Device manager shutting down and rebooting with
the new mainboard.

Thanx for any info.

Flymo
1 GB Twinmoss/Winbond pc-3200 DDR (2 X 256 and 1X512) @ 3.2.2.2
Radeon 9500 MODDED to Radeon 9700 PRO+ @ 375/333 DDR
80GB Maxtor ATA 133 HDD
20X10X40 AOpen CD-RW
Cyberdrive 16X DVD-ROM
Modded AVGS Cyberfusion case with
4X80mm case fans and 1 X 120mm fan on a self-built fanbus
3dmark 2k1 17686
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2003, 11:51 AM

Just remove all devices from device manager and switch board. The old method still works.
Old 8th February, 2003, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

But the recommended would of course be to re-install the OS, as registry settings will still be there, and of course we all know how windows like to *****..

Personally I always re-install the os if I change mainboard. It's good to get it all cleaned out and fresh every once in a while anyways.
Old 8th February, 2003, 07:44 PM

go and boot from the CD, when it says to Install, repair, etc choose install.

then it should ask you again about repairing the existing installation, choose repair then and it should reinstall windows over your old install
Old 9th February, 2003, 04:07 AM

zorbo's right... do the repair trick and you won't lose anything.
Radeon 9000 Pro 128
Maxtor 80G
2 Elcheapo CD RW's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th February, 2003, 04:16 AM

"Back up your hard drive using Norton Ghost, or make a copy of C:\Windows\system32\WPA.DBL and store somewhere save. Just replace new WPA.DBL file after you do a fresh install of WinXP. "

Ref. http://8rda.com/page2.htm

Do this if you get BSOD when installing. Ok part of it, I'll leave it up to you to determine which part.

This is to do with the protection where you can only have so many hardware changes before windows assumes you are using pirate software.

I recommend a clean install. It doesn't take that long. I just backup my sendto folder (I use it), favorites, start menu.

Obviously I have a 3Gb partition for OS and programs which I format to install a new installation, not effecting archives, games ect.
Old 9th February, 2003, 05:25 AM

Ummm, I have had some fun(!) Trying to go the repair route with winxp home edition on a different motherboard , I didn't have ACPI enabled in bios setup and when I upgraded from win98se to winxp everything looked ok , but , hard drive transfer rates were really slow (5 Mbps when they should have been 40-45 Mbps). I did a lot of reading at the Microsoft websites and was helped and pointed in the right direction by bbs members at pcchips lottery . It seems ,(and Microsoft concurs), that when winxp initially installs it uses a HAL (Hardware Abstaction Layer) , in short xp looks at your hardware and installs itself to fit the motherboards needs , it may have been a quirk of the motherboards (Amptron ,ECS , PCChips , PCWave) but a lot of glitches were fixed and even more avoided when the CLEAN INSTALL route is taken . I urge everyone that has a copy of winxp that is running good , is activated , and registered to copy that small file mentioned and put it somewhere safe because no matter how many backups you have , if they are on your only hard drive and it goes down , they go with it. See the 13th post on this thread and follow the link provided. 8rda.com is up!
That WPA.DBL file is golden.
bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah