AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th November, 2001, 05:38 PM
EPoX Tech

Performance in General

There seem to be a few questions regarding system performance and stability, as such after waking up this morning and having a small chat with Dimm Reaper about NVidia BIOSes and the way that we'd been manipulating them using Ray Adams's BIOS editor and NVFlash. I got around to the point of overclocking for performance.

I have in the system for this a Creative 3D Blaster GeForce 2 GTS which has 6ns Infineon SGRAm which just will not overclock. This graphics card sits in 8K7A with 256Mb of Crucial PC2100. This is all along side Athlon XP1800+.

I'm a Win 2k, DX8.0a user with the Detonator 22.80's.

My previous score within 3DMark 2001 was 3984. I've spent all day tweaking everything except the graphics card core and memory speeds in order to ascertain just how people do get good 3DMark scores besides just overclocking the graphics card.

So I've spent most of the day in and out of the BIOS and changing jumpers on the mainboard to gain performance as well as messing with the NVidia driver features.

I have finally managed to firstly surpass 4500 3DMarks, then 4800 to reach my final standing of 4821 3DMarks. Below is a comparisson of average scores of people using GeForce 2 GTS/Pro/Ti and the processors that they have used. I believe that this shows from BIOS tweaking alone I have achieved a better than average score for my processor with a graphics card that remains at only 200/333.

The actual things that can be done do vary from graphics card to graphics card wether it be changing the shadow settings, fast writes, DDR timings, AGP mode, AGP compensation, aperture or whatever. There are no fixed instructions to follow to achieve results - the answer is trial and error - just like tuning a race engine - you have some idea to begin, but have to play it by ear to finalise.
Attached Thumbnails
Performance in General-compare.gif