AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2001, 02:00 AM

Soundblaster compat /w 8KHA+ ??????

Hi guys,
Well I have my 8KHA+ all installed and it seems to be working out fine. Thanks for the replies to my previous questions, I appreciate it.

After some time I have found out my old Diamond MX300 sound card is not completely compatible with WinXP so I need to get a new sound card.

My question is does anyone know if the soundblaster Live and Soundblaster Audigy cards are compatible with the 8KHA+ mobo??? I've heard rumors that the VIA chipset does not live well with soundblaster cards. Any thoughts????

Thanks,
JimK
Old 25th November, 2001, 03:45 AM

I havent had any problems with my board and a soundblaster live value.
I did hear rumors about a bug too although ive not seen anybody who has definately had a problem.

Im running win2k so it might just be a XP thing.
Although to be honest i think that some supposed "bugs" with XP are just people who are blaming XP when the problem is elsewhere, after all its very easy to blame MS for every slight bug.

As for what card to get the Soundblaster 5.1 is very cheap if you buy OEM. Im not sure if the audigi is worth the extra cash as i dont need a firewire port and a slight improovement in audio quality wont matter to me as im no audiphile.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 04:19 AM

holst,
Thanks for the reply. From what i have read there is some sort of compatibility problem with certasin VIA chipsets and soundblasters. In some combination of these two things the csound card makes loud crackling and popping sounds. I've seen this problem referenced in several reviews so far but i have not actually seen an article directly talking about it. so how wide spread the problem is and with what combination of soundblaster cards and via chipsets, i have no clue.

I was looking at either getting a SB live5.1 which sells for something like $32 or perhaps the audigy gmaer which sells for $85. The hercules XP looks great and has great reviews too. Oh decisons, decisions.

Take care and thanks again,
JimK
Old 25th November, 2001, 07:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

i don't have any issues with an 8kha and sblive value in windows xp. works perfectly, but i had to download the driver update for the live. the ones with xp only give very basic functionality.

out of the three cards you mentioned, i'd almost be tempted to go with the gametheatre xp over the live or audigy. it has the break-out box and all. sweet card that one!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 01:53 PM

I've got a Sound Blaster LIVE! Platinum 4.1 on my 8KHA+ dual boting to WIN 2K and WIN 98SE, no prooblems with either operating system when using the correct drivers. I would expect the same results on WIN XP.

[COLOR=royal blue]2-XP1600+@1.53 ASUS A7M 266-D [/COLOR]----------- ----------- ---------- --------- [COLOR=royal blue]2-1G DURON's @ 1.2 150FSB TYAN S2460 [/COLOR][COLOR=royal blue]1G DURON @ 1.24 AD11 WBK 38[/COLOR]------------ ------------ ------------- [COLOR=royal blue]1.2g AXIA-9 @ 1.4 A7V133 WBK 38[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royal blue]1G AXIA @ 1.4 8KHA+ Millenium Glacator II[/COLOR]--- ---------- ---------- ---------[COLOR=royal blue] DURON 600 @ 1000 8KHA+ WBK38[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royal blue]DURON 600 @ 1100 A7V FOP 32[/COLOR] ........... .......... ........... ........... ........... [COLOR=royal blue]Desk drawer full of other stuff![/COLOR]
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:02 PM

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it.
Take care,
JimK