AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:48 AM

Need Recommendation for bios settings

Hi Guys,
I have my 8KHA+ running with 3 sticks of Crucial 256mb RAM, Gainward GF2 Pro 64mb video card. I left all the mobo bios settings at their default settings. I ran a few benchmarks and got the following:

3DMark 2001: 3224

Sandra 2001.5.8.11:
Memory Test: Int ALU 699 mb/s
Float FPU 781 mb/s

CPU Test: Drystone: 4262 mips
Whetstone FPU 2103 mflops

These numbers are obviously real low and disappointing. Can you guys recommend some bios settings that optimize performance without OCing. My feeling is that i don't have the mobo set up to optimize its performance in a regualr non-overclocked system. The manul doesn't state what the best settings are. I don't want to try any OCing yet as i need to read up on it and figure out what I'm doing before i do it. But I would like the basic system to be running at peak performance first.

Thanks for any and all help.
JimK
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:50 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm running winXP Pro and have an AMD 1800+ cpu.
JimK
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:53 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

First thing, put the RAM to CAS 2. Then enable 4 Bank Interleaving. Put on Turbo setting. Takes care of RAM.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. Do you have any clue why the board comes with bios that as its defualt is less than optimized? I mena i realize the less performance the board puts out the less problems there will be but most people have no clue what to select in order to optimize their bios.
Take it easy,
Jim
Old 25th November, 2001, 06:53 PM

I got similar benches to you untill i tuned my bios and updates my 4-in-1 drivers, now im getting much higher scores although not as high as some people here as i cant get my FSB past 150 and im only running a Duron CPU.

As for why the settings arnt optimised as standard this is to prevent problems with people running poor quality ram thatmight not run at turbo settings. Plus some people might have PC1600 ram not PC2100.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th November, 2001, 07:13 PM

eh?

CAS 20 ?

Can someone enlighten a newbie ?

Can't find a setting for that
Old 25th November, 2001, 07:56 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

CAS 2. Not 20. CAS (don't remember acronym at the moment) is the latency of the RAM. The lower the latency, the faster the memory runs. Somewhere in your BIOS, usually under Advanced Options or similar in the Award BIOS, is a setting for CAS Latency. Changing that to 2 from 2.5 or 3 will increase memory performance.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 25th November, 2001, 08:16 PM
EPoX Tech

Disable all shadows (Video etc ) in BIOS. Set AGP aperture to 128Mb and 256Mb. Enable Fast Writes.

Then tweak the memory further and keep checking for stability as you do. A time consumptive process maybe but one that is definatley worthwhile. I increased my 3D Mark score by 900 yesterday.

Get the processor unlocked, decrease the multiplier and increase the FSB into the 160MHz region if possible - this is often the best way to increase this benchmark score.
Old 26th November, 2001, 09:43 PM

Superman53142, CAS from what i've looked up is Column Address Strobe...........and RAS is Row Access Strobe man, this is a good forum you have here guys, i'm a madonion.com forum regular (which also has a blinding forums section) and they don't have a specific mobo section like this! .........later
Old 26th November, 2001, 09:59 PM

also, getting back to the topic, heres what i use for my bios settings.............(in Advanced Chipset features, DRAM Clock/Drive Control)
System Performance:Turbo
DRAM Clock:133Mhz
DRAM Timing:133Mhz
SDRAM Cycle Length:2
Bank Interleave:4 Bank
DRAM PreChrg to Act CMD:2T
DRAM Act to PreChrg CMD:6T
DRAM Active to CMD:2T
DRAM Queue Depth:2 Level
DRAM Length Depth:4 Level
DRAM Drive Strength:Auto
DRAM Command Rate:1T Command
DCLKI Timing:0ns
DCLK0 Timing:0ns
FAST R-W Turn Around:Enabled
Continuous DRAM Request:Enabled
think i got everything above there correct for 151fsb on my setup ......hope it helps

oops..my sig needs a quick edit, CPU is XP1800+

Last edited by mauler2000; 26th November, 2001 at 10:38 PM.
Old 26th November, 2001, 10:36 PM

Smile

hmmm, got nothing else to do at the mo, so i think i'll post some benchmark scores....BTW, i only got my new 8kha+ last friday, what a board especially compared to my previous board the 8kta3.........KT266A chipset seriously rocks

3dm2k1 : 8340points

3dm2k : 11127points

Sandra Pro2001TE:
CPU Arithmetic :
Dhrystone ALU 4768MIPS
Whetstone FPU 2392MFLOPS
CPU Multi-Media Benchmark:
Integer aEMMX/aSSE : 9330 it/s
Floating Point aSSE : 10959 it/s
Memory Bendwidth Benchmark:
RAM Int Buffered aEMMX/aSSE Bandwidth : 2221 MB/s
RAM Float Buffered aEMMX/aSSE Bandwidth : 2071 MBs

i'm bloody chuffed to bits with the performance of this board..........good work EPOX!
Old 26th November, 2001, 10:43 PM

Mauler,
wooooooooooooo, great benchies. I'm going to mess with my bios and set it to some of the more performance oriented settings without actually overclocking my cpu (1800+).

Did you actually unlock your chip by covering the L1 pits and then doing the bridging??? Or are you doing this all just within bios?

Actually I'm not going to try and do anything yet as I'm waiting on a replacement harddrive (mine is dying) and then I'll reinstall WinXP and get everything set up correctly. right now i just have XP loaded over my old W98 install so things aren't real silky smooth yet. :-) I also want to read up on this stuff so I know what the heck I'm changing. hehehehehe. Yea, I know, its not as much fun that way.
JimK
Old 26th November, 2001, 10:48 PM

Mauler,
Out of curiosity what bios settings from your above list caused instability when you were at 133fsb???

It'll be interesting to see how stable my system is with some bios tinkering with the default 133fsb. Once I do that then I'll look at increasing the fsb.

Are any of your bios settings above ONLY for that higher fsb you are running??

By the way, thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
JimK

8KHA+, 768mb PC2100 crucial RAM, GeForce2 Pro 64mb, AMD 1800+
Old 27th November, 2001, 12:41 AM

{Mauler, Out of curiosity what bios settings from your above list caused instability when you were at 133fsb??? }

err, only when i have the memory voltage set at 2.5v, that's all, when you're pushing the hardware you've got to give it more juice, i go for 2.8 ....just remember take everthing one step (or megahertz) at a time

{Did you actually unlock your chip by covering the L1 pits and then doing the bridging??? Or are you doing this all just within bios?}

nope, just the good old FSB and multiplier trick (i bet that 90% of o/cer's here do this) linking L1 bridges with the new "organic" CPU's can short out the core..........there are guides about where u can unlock an XP, but i personally wouldn't risk it........

BTW, i'm running at 151mhz FSB, it just says 133mhz on the chipset screen in the BIOS for some reason.......

Last edited by mauler2000; 27th November, 2001 at 12:43 AM.