AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2003, 03:51 AM

Just Built system w/ 8RDA+ and ? on temps.

I received this motherboard in a couple of weeks ago and I finally had a chance to put it together two nights ago and did OS and software installations last night.

The specs are as follows:

Retail XP2000+
Retail Thermaltake Volcano 7 & 6K RPM Fan (using Artic Silver II between CPU)
8RDA+ (Latest BIOS: 3129) w/ factory chipset HS
Crucial 256MB PC2700 x 2 = 512MB (1 In Bank1/1 in Bank2)
(CT3264Z335: DDR PC2700/CL=2.5/Unbuffered/Non-parity/6ns/2.5V/32Meg x 64)
Antec SX1040BII w/ 4 80mm FANS
(2 Rear/2 Front: 1 Bottom of Case and other flowing over HD)
WD 20GB BB Partitioned into two drives and in the middle of the HD drive cage
Samsung 48X CD-ROM in the topmost bay
3½" Floppy in the bottom bay
MSI 8808 w/ 32MB w/ Latest Drivers 41.09
(Only spare video card I could find- Must find that Leadtek GeForce2)
W2K SP2
Rounded Copper Cables for all

My office is small 10'x15' (w/ lots of books, parts, etc.) and cooled by a 10K BTU A/C window unit that is set at 64ºF (I like it cold). The A/C is not blowing directly at the box.

Now the strange part, the CPU temperature at idle or just browsing is at 84ºF and has never read over 89ºF and this was after 15 minutes running CPU Stability Test. The temperatures have been read directly from the BIOS, Epox's monitor software (which is very flaky) and MotherBoard Monitor (latest version with mandatory updates).

The processor is OC'd, ever so slightly, and truly more of a nudge that an OC, to 1722MHz according to CPUID (1712MHz according to the boot screen) and yes I am being cautious right now. The BIOS settings are at Expert for memory and set at SPD and a 5,2,2,2.5 setting. The FSB clock is at 137 and the multiplier at 12.5. Nevertheless, even at stock speed the temperatures are the same or lower.

Other boxes with similar builds have run at a minimum of 94ºF, and the box I am typing this on is at 102ºF (but in an Enlight 7230 Case w/ 300W Premier PSU- the only spare case I had at the time) and the motherboard is an older MSI KT266 w/ retail XP 1700 and stock HS & Fan.

I am curious to know if others are experiencing similar temperatures and what you are attributing it to.

Thank you in advance.

Denny
Old 20th February, 2003, 04:02 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

I wouldn't take temp readings from monitoring software too seriously. If it works, it's fine.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!