AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th November, 2001, 11:23 PM

I really hate being a newbie but you gota start somewhere right?

First of let me say YO to everyone. As you can tell from the subject line I'm a..........gulp......"Newbie". I just upgraded my system to...well you can read it below, no use typing it twice right?

Last night I was playing around with the FSB settings. Please bare with me....I was just trying to see what happens when you up the FSB. I got all the way up to 149.......well I guess that really isn't that high if someone is reaching 166.
At 149 everything was stable, no problems, although I had to up the chip voltage to 1.85 to get it to post.
At 149 my 1700 was being recognized as a 2000 at a speed of 1.65 or something like that.
When I moved up to 150 I BSODed. I'm not quite sure as to why this happened.

I was just wondering if that was a good achievement?

And why I BSODed, if anyone has a clue because I didn't give you much info.

I was also wondering about the the temp, it reached 47c when I was running Prime95. Is that to high? I really didn't think so since the CPU was running about 200mhz over its original clock speed.

One other question, does anyone know where I can find a page on the basics of OCing? I would like to read up a tad so I know what I am doing to my computer.

Ok I lied, what can I say questions just come poping up in my head. I have read stuff in this forum and another that suggests that some bios' chips are no good. I think this might be a question for the Epox Rep, is there any truth to these statements and if so is a N+ a good one or bad?

Ok I know this might be asking a bit much to get all these questions answered but I have one more. What bios' are the best for OCing and stability?

An early thanks to all of you that post a reply, and bother to read this whole thing.
Silverado Heat Sink
512mb Corsair PC2400
Radeon 8500 (OEM)
30gig WD 7200
30gig Maxtor 7200
Enermax 350
......blah blah blah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2001, 01:41 AM

Hi m8 welcome to the forum

What board are you running ? (i assume 8KHA+)

Getting upto 149 is a good acheivement, well done.

As far as the bios goes im running a N+ chip and Epox Tech says that that number dosent mean anything anyway. As your board is running then youve probably got a good un..

As for BSOD at 150, im in a very similar position but for a different reason (i hope).
What did you set the memory timings and voltage to when you went for 150 ? Have you tried at normal timings and a higher voltage ?

I think your problem is that your chip wont go any faster without more cooling or with the mutiplyer dropped.
47*c is a good temperature at load, what cooling do you have ?

For overclocking articles there are loads of places. a good place to start would be some of the sites on the right hand side. From there you should find links to all sorts of interesting stuff.

Im not sure about what bios is best. Im using the latest beta one but i havent tried any others, maybee i should.

Idealy to get your FSB higher you will have to unlock your CPU. Obviously that isnt as easy as a athlon but several people here have done it with no ill effects. As with all mods as long as you take your time and make sure you know what your doing before you start you will be fine.

Im a newbie with this board (got mine last wednesday) so somebody with more experience will be able to answer anything i cant.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2001, 01:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I don't have a EPox, damn it! But I do have big welcome wsutard1!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 27th November, 2001, 01:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

"If Bush is the perfect president for this time, he's the empty-headed embodiment of our national cluelessness."

Then what was Reagan?? LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 27th November, 2001, 03:50 AM

I take it your a Donkey then?

Well thanks for the welcome Daniel and thanks for the advise Hoist. To answer some of your questions. I am running the 8kha+ with a noise control Silverado Cooler on it, and boy does it rock, it is super quiet. Also I was using the Turbo settings, I thought I was on normal but I cheched and it was on turbo. Right now Im sitting at an FSB of 145 and a speed of 1.6. The cool thing about this is I bought a XP 1700+ but I have an XP 1900+ with very little effort.

I was thinking about unlocking the chip but I think that I will wait for my 30 days to run out, if I even do unlock it.

I was told that my ram will run at 150 easy but I guess that I will have to unlock to get there.

Before when I said that i was at 149, it was actually 148. I cant get to 149 either. I have tried uping the voltage in the chip to 1.825 and everything inbetween but nothing. If I get to windows I BSOD in Prime95.

Well. thanks for the input.
Silverado Heat Sink
512mb Corsair PC2400
Radeon 8500 (OEM)
30gig WD 7200
30gig Maxtor 7200
Enermax 350
......blah blah blah
Old 27th November, 2001, 04:08 AM

Actually the letters DO mean something. It indicates bios version.

Same with the serial on the side of your pci slot.
Old 27th November, 2001, 04:29 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
"If Bush is the perfect president for this time, he's the empty-headed embodiment of our national cluelessness."

Then what was Reagan?? LOL
"Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall!"

"....the evil empire."

Reagan was actually a quite forceful president and he got things done so leave him alone. At least he had morals, unlike some of the presidents of the current time, cough, Billie, cough

I'm an elephant. Actually, I am really neither. I would much prefer to see a three party system utilizing the British manner of electing their top dawg (prime minister). The different parties align in order to force a majority on the House of Commons, and the party with the majority picks the prime minister. See, you English got something right!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 27th November, 2001, 05:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

"Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall!"

"....the evil empire."

Reagan was actually a quite forceful president and he got things done so leave him alone. At least he had morals, unlike some of the presidents of the current time, cough, Billie, cough

My God! It that what they teach you in school! His was the MOST indited AND convicted administration OF ALL TIME and we have had some real thugs in office.

When Nestle was first killing babies in the third world in the 10's of thousands by dressing door to door sales women up as medical personal and telling illiterate peasants that the were backward if they didn't buy baby formula instead of nursing by breast EVERY Country on Earth BUT Reagan's USA Condemned them. Reagan wanted "The market forces to prevail". Nestle BTW continues to do this to this day knowing full well that these mothers have no means to sterilize the baby bottles and that many of these babies will die of diarrhea and the the "older" children will often go even hungrier to pay for the Baby formula. Not to mention that the babies immunological systems won't develop properly.

After leaving Office Reagan excepted a 5 million Dollar "Gift" from Japan for all the good work he had accomplished FOR THEM while in office.

No I'm not a Democrat, I save my utmost and total contempt for which ever idiot my countrymen disgrace themselves by electing.

But even my American standards Reagan was a completely Amoral Idiot!
My Favorite Reagan quote:
"Trees cause more air polution than cars do!"

Feel free to disagree, all evidence indicates that almost every one does":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 27th November, 2001 at 05:10 AM.
Old 27th November, 2001, 05:21 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

As long as your temps are under 50c, you have room to play with your rig a little. Have you upped the voltage on the memory a bit? Also, you may want to tone down the memory settings while you experiment. Switch to normal, cas3, and try to up the FSB again.

Since most boards will not cross over to a 1/5 multiplier at 150, keep in mind you are also overclocking your PCI and AGP. Every PCI card is being forced to run at 37.5 and the video at 70 @150FSB. One of your cards may be the weak link.

What PSU are you using? Brand and wattage. Check your 5v line in BIOS or MBM (sw) to make sure it does not drop too low, or it could be holding you back.

Also, maybe that chip is at it's max...

It's up to you to decide what the limit is and whether you want to push your luck.

Good Luck and have fun.
SteveI.