AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th February, 2003, 06:41 AM

EP-8RDA+ and Non + and USB Woes

Okay ive posted this problem before, but here is an update and reiteration of my problem.

All onboard usb (including USB3) will stop working intermitantly. Regardless of Load or temprature USB will stop working randomly. USB stops working in one of two ways.

1) USB will suddenly stop working and then start back up again in 3-4 seconds

2) USB will suddently stop working Untill I unplug PSU and replug it in. Occasionaly when USB stops in Way #2 it seems as if my game is LAGGING bad. I dont notice this lag outside of games, but then again nothing is happening on screen (word processing) and does not occur in game all the time. Update : I have since bought a new 8rda+ Mobo and now when USB stops in Way #2, sound (onboard) will stop also.
Update 2: Confirmed, I was able to stick a second keyboard into my PS2 port, when USB cut out in this way, i hit cntrl alt del, and it showed that "System" was taking up 99% of my CPU time. My temp readings were consistent with Full load temps, however after reboot, temps did not return to idle temps, they remained 1-2c above normal idle. USB cut out 4 times after this in way2 in a period of less than 5 hours. Does anybody think this maybe a result of a faulty onchip thermal diode and thermal throttling?(I have thermal throttling disabled, but im grasping at straws)

Please Note These issues do not only occur in games, they occur at desktop also. Also When USB stops in way #2, it will also stop outside of windows IE BIOS boot screen. (Halt on all errors, mobo does not detect USB keyboard and halts)

I have switch out these items:
Mo bo EP-8rda and EP-8RDA+
PSU Antec True 430, Enermax 330

I have tried:
Using Bank 1+2 and bank 1+3 RAM
Removing JCLK jumper
Disabling all onboard pheriphials
WIth my + board i have NO PCI cards
Resetting bios
Repair install XP SP1
Using Molex Connectors for all Fans
Installing and Removing USB3 (Front pannel USB)
Changing from USB[1.1/2.0] support to only USB[1.1] support
Througly inspecting board for any Case/Mobo contacts

What i Will try:
Switching out my XP2400+ with my Athlon T-bird 1.4ghz

If anybody can contribute and help[ me with any suggestions i would be greatful.

Last edited by ImmortalBlade; 3rd March, 2003 at 05:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2003, 03:22 AM

*bump*
Old 1st March, 2003, 03:26 PM

Maybe.....

try a PS2 keyboard and mouse and see if it alleviates the problem.
Abit NF7-S with 2100+ T-Bred "B" @2406MHz (200X12) Vcore 1.775V, VDIMM 2.9V, VDD 1.82V 2X256M Twinmos/Winbond PC3200 6,2,2,2.0 DDR,SLK800 with 84CFM Tornado,ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Antec Truepower 430W ps.
80G WD HDD w/8M cache Windows XP Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2003, 09:44 AM

NO it does not

Bump
Old 2nd March, 2003, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to dr5op3rdud3

Quote:
Originally posted by ImmortalBlade
NO it does not

Bump
Wait so your mouse or keyboard doesnt work w/ the ps2 port?

.. my mouse works fine and its using the USB. Are you using the two front usb ports(the one that goes in one of those pci slots)?

RIP SF2
Old 2nd March, 2003, 01:49 PM

i had the same prob as u on my 2nd install, i had seriously mad latency issue's and the mouse would pause alot the system in general was very laggy, i think it has something to do with installing winxp with a usb mouse plugged into the usb port ;O changing the mouse to ps2 after installing xp with the mouse in the usb port didnt help either, the main difference i had on my 2nd install compared to my 1st install, apart from installing the nforce 2.0 drivers straight after sp1a, in the 1st install i installed the 1.15 then 2.3 nforce drivers, and i tried ntfs on the 2nd install. This installs procedure my 3rd, was optimised defaults no extra cards than whats needed (for me it was takin out my audigy2 i done that when my system was laggin 2nd time around) mouse plugged in with a ps2-usb adapter, usb modem in the usb port, ps2 keyboard, install win xp from boot cd, once xp's installed install modem drivers, install service pack 1a via winupdate, install nforce driver pack 2.3, install rest of the updates from ms that u need, finish off the drivers, then install usb mouse drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the installer for my logitech duel optical mouse installs the driver then gives u the option to reboot and swap the mouse into ur usb port, that procedure worked for me and my system dont lag anymore, so maybe its the same thing for u. or it could have been the audigy2 but i suspect the mouse >;[]

2600+ b core T-bred
ep-8rda+ (unmoded atm)
2*256MB corsair xms3500
asus 128MB Ti4200 4x agp
coolmaster atc-200 4*ys tech 80mm fans
enermax 350watt psu
thermalright slk700+60mm delta
toshiba sd-r 1202 cd-r/dvd rom combo drive
maxtor 40GB HD
audigy2 (rotel ra-970bx amp, cable talk3.1, kef cresta 2's) autechre@320Kbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:]
lg 915ft plus 19" monitor @ 1600-1200 @70hz
motorola sb4100 cable modem
logitech duel optical usb mouse

Last edited by Maelstrom2160; 2nd March, 2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 02:24 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

One thing I forgot to ask was which OS you were running? If you're running an NT based OS (NT/2K/XP), check the event log to see if any drivers have logged messages about it.

Áedán
Old 3rd March, 2003, 06:32 AM

dr5op3rdud3:
The problem here isnt my mouse and keyboard, its the USB. ALL of my USB cuts out, so i dont care what happens to the ps2. If i switched to ps2 kb/mouse, that would defeat the purpose of my USB hub and USB mouse/kb I want to fix this problem, not get around it.

Maelstrom2160:

Was this issue consistant? Like did it happen all the time? My USB problem only occurse once in maybe 6+ hours. It does not happen freqently. My system is not laggy accept when my USB stops working in Way #2

Áedán:
Winxp SP1. Here are some errors that i get consistantly, I think every boot.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.(this error happens about 6 time every boot)

The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Note i disabled all game parrallel and Serial ports on the computer)

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
giveio

The device, \Device\Scsi\nvidesm1, did not respond within the timeout period. (This error occurs twice every boot )
Old 3rd March, 2003, 06:52 AM

Unhappy

This is a total shot in the dark but have you looked at IRQ's in Device Manager. Seems to me that USB was sharing with something important on my first XP install. May be worth a look.

Edit:
Just looked at my device manager and the usb controllers are using three different IRQ's, each of which is doing double duty with other important controllers.

Last edited by FoP; 3rd March, 2003 at 06:57 AM.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FoP
This is a total shot in the dark but have you looked at IRQ's in Device Manager. Seems to me that USB was sharing with something important on my first XP install. May be worth a look.

Edit:
Just looked at my device manager and the usb controllers are using three different IRQ's, each of which is doing double duty with other important controllers.
I belive this is normal. I am going to try to do a format/fresh xp install today. Will post back if anything changes

Oh, i updated the first post. Please read update 2. TY

Last edited by ImmortalBlade; 3rd March, 2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 06:39 PM

na for me it was constant i was gettin 5 seconds of normal opperation followed my mins of lag as soon as i installed the NV 2.0 nforce driver pack, it could have been my audigy 2 there seems to be alot of issues with audigy 2 atm all thier issues seem to point to thing's ive come across with my system while using one. Im off to go and complain in creatives forums some more ;(
Old 4th March, 2003, 02:12 AM

Update, I just did a complet format. Fresh install windows->SP1->UDP 2.03->Detonator 41.09 in that order. I dont think this is going to help though, I *THINK* my USB cut out even before i installed SP1. I was looking at my device manager window, when it refreshed AND my USB cut out at the same time. Some connection?! Man.... this sucksi cant figure it out.
Old 4th March, 2003, 03:50 AM

U gotta remember usb ports suck power of the mainboard the more power the device takes the unhappy ur systems gunna be. U didnt say how well cooled ur system is, + u gotta remember that the 8rda+ doesnt have any cooling on the south bridge, i think i spotted usb problems in this forum because of southbridge temp's, if ur system isnt cooled its gunna be worse and if ur climates warm thats gunna make it slightly worse so will cental heating, my case has 4 80mm fans and a 60mm delta on the cpu's heatsink and i ran my system at full load for a 60mins at stock speeds and checked my southbridge and it was hot! ALOT hotter than i expected im not saying this is ur problem but it may give u something to work with

if u check it power down and make sure u keep a finger on the psu or a earthed item when poking around in ur case

if this is the case it would be good if epox extended the warranty to alow us to cool our southbridge's without invalidating the 8rda/8rda+'s warranty
Old 4th March, 2003, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelstrom2160
U gotta remember usb ports suck power of the mainboard the more power the device takes the unhappy ur systems gunna be. U didnt say how well cooled ur system is, + u gotta remember that the 8rda+ doesnt have any cooling on the south bridge, i think i spotted usb problems in this forum because of southbridge temp's, if ur system isnt cooled its gunna be worse and if ur climates warm thats gunna make it slightly worse so will cental heating, my case has 4 80mm fans and a 60mm delta on the cpu's heatsink and i ran my system at full load for a 60mins at stock speeds and checked my southbridge and it was hot! ALOT hotter than i expected im not saying this is ur problem but it may give u something to work with

if u check it power down and make sure u keep a finger on the psu or a earthed item when poking around in ur case

if this is the case it would be good if epox extended the warranty to alow us to cool our southbridge's without invalidating the 8rda/8rda+'s warranty
Thanks for your input. I keep my case very well ventilated. On my old EP-8rda(no +) i put a HS on the southbridge, didnt help the situation at all. As for power drain, everything is hookedup to my USB hub =P So its not that.

On the new board, i just got through installing Vantec Iceberq on the NB and a Zalman NB cooler on the SB. Strangly enough these modifications ... increased my CPU temp?! er....... okieee lol im sort of annoied.... Increased CPU temp by 5c?! Ne ways ill see if these new HS help any, along with a format. Im thinking about returning this board and buying a VIA. Im almost positive its somthing to do with the Nvida CHipset and some componant i have. Well back to more long hours of waiting for my USB to cut out.