AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2003, 03:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Genius

nForce 2 may have serious problems?

Quote:
Originally posted at www.techconnect.nl

NVIDIA'S NEW NFORCE 2 CHIPSET was eagerly awaited and gratefully received but PC enthusiasts around the world are finding problems. It seems that some motherboards based on the chipset are causing far more headaches than they should.

Click "Read more" for more info...

The best example is the Shuttle SN41G2 barebones system. The tiny machine features an Nforce 2 motherboard in a neat looking case. It seems the BIOS shipped with the combo can stop the system even POSTing if you change certain settings. The only way to get the machine going again is to open up the machine, clear the CMOS and boot with the Insert key held down.

Then there's the case of the Asus A7N8X Deluxe which seems to suffer from a combination of BIOS and battery problems. And the Epox 8RDA+ has been showing up problems too. Even Abit seems to be getting more than the usual share of issues cropping up.

This could be a sign of problems with the chipset. It could be just individual manufacturers having problems with early production motherboards. Either way, you might want to take a good read of the various hardware forums before buying a board.

We will keep our eyes on the situation. More news on the problems as and when the information becomes available to us.
This sounds like quite a possibility to me. There seem to be an overly large amount of users having related issues with the 8RDA boards. Thankfully I haven't experienced any issues yet myself. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I didn't get the + board. Less components on board to add to the problem. If this is indeed an issue, is Epox going to do a recall?
Abit NF7-S - AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @2300MHz - 210fsb (decided I don't have to redline ) - 1 GB PC3500 Corsair PLT 11-2-2-2 - Thermalright SLK-800 + Vantec Tornado 84.1cfm - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 360/340 - Sony G420S 19" - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - Logitech Z-680 Speakers - Dual Western Digital 80GB 8mb RAID 0 - Western Digital 80GB 2mb buffa' pr0n storage - LiteOn 16x DVD - LiteOn 52x24x52 Burner - Windows XP SP1a.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2003, 06:03 PM

I havent had any problem with my +board ,it did around 214 fsb right out of the box with a singel stick Twinmos Pc 3200.
The only problem i have is the latest bios,with that i cant get over 190 fsb even with the Vdd mod.
Black ice Extreme II 4x Titan 120mm
1024MB TWINX-4400C25
Epox 9NDA3+
Mist Psu 550W
POV 6800GT 425/1150
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st March, 2003, 09:25 PM

To be honest I haven't seen anyone having any more trouble with this chipset then any of the others.....KT400 ect. If you read the Google boards and other forums the ratio seems about the same.
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesUK

well to be honest ive not had any problems at all with stability in anyway, system is very solid i think its far better then via as i think when via was the main chipset for the amd cpu's intel always seemd a better option because the computers just didn't seem to perform as good or be as stable as intel pc's, there would be a lot of problems with various things, i think nforce 2 has sorted a lot of this out where as there isn't much wrong now and nforce chipset along with the tbred b chips are very much as stable as the intel based boards
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-57 | 2 GB CORSAIR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 RAM | ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM | 2 X 250GB WESTON DIGITAL SATA 2 (16MB CACHE) HDD | BFG GEFORCE 7800GTX | PIONEER DVR-109 | WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 | TAGAN 580 WATT PSU
Old 1st March, 2003, 11:56 PM

may I be honest too :P, I have had zero problems, just the few led errors when i try and up my vcore or fsb to far. THough i see nothing that will make me turn my head back to the via or ali
ATI 9700pro
Antec 380ps
Sony 24/12/48
LIan case
Sony e540/b 21.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 01:15 AM

It really is the truth. I've seen more trouble with this chipset then any other, even some of the crappy via chipsets werent this bad.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 02:00 AM

For alot of people the Nforce2 could have been the first motherboard upgrade they had done for a while ( after all VIA chipsets have not really changed that much at all ) So you get more people buying the board than any other in a long while . So the volume of problems is proportional to the volume of sales , no ?
Old 2nd March, 2003, 03:08 AM

well i havn't had 1 problem at all
AMD ATHLON 64 FX-57 | 2 GB CORSAIR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 RAM | ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM | 2 X 250GB WESTON DIGITAL SATA 2 (16MB CACHE) HDD | BFG GEFORCE 7800GTX | PIONEER DVR-109 | WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 | TAGAN 580 WATT PSU
Old 2nd March, 2003, 03:18 AM

When something new comes out people allways have probems.

The exact same thing happened with 8K3A, where it was quite a big change and people took a whyle to ajust..

With the Kt400 it was so similar to KT333 that there were very few new problems.

With Nforce2 there are a few "oddities" to learn about..

Problems with certain low latency memory (corsair) have caused quite allot of people problems, thats more down to the memory manufacturers then Nvidia TBH..

A few people messed up there bios chips early on, but with the newer bios that dosent seem to be happening much at all, plus people "should" be being more carefull.
These bios problems have only afeced a tiny number of people compared to total sales.... and I think almost everybody affected was overclocking, overclockers generally upate bios and read forums to they should be in the best position to avoid the problem.

Win98 drivers are a bit "crap" as well, you need to mess about to install them properly.

And Nforce2 has sold ALLOT in quite a short period, so that coupled with the newness of the chipset its not supprising that more people are having probems compared to KT400 boards.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 2nd March, 2003, 04:43 AM

My ABIT NF7 board just died after 2 days of use......I wrote it off as a "freak incident". No boot at all......no bios beep when I turn it on. Fans would turn on but in very low speed, no bios beep, and the strangest thing of all the board turned into a very expensive set of xmas lights. The hdd led and psu led would just keep on blinking as soon as I turn on the power switch of the PSU (Not even the psu switch of the case).

Currently, I have an EPOX 8RDA+ which seems to be very solid for a week now. No problems so far.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 05:52 AM

This 8RDA+ would have to be the best board in stability & ease of use so far that I've owned. (especially from a first release of a new chipset)

Also setup quite a few other Nforce2 boards - a few Leadtek's & Soltek's.
All have been a joy to setup.
Only little problems - IDE drivers, which didn't take much to fix.

This chipset is excellent & only will get better with age!
Old 3rd March, 2003, 04:10 PM

I think its a great little board and I've had very few problems and those I've had I've managed to sort out.

I dont think there's any major problems and the ratio to the amount of NForce2 boards sold compared to other chipsets would likely explain why there's seems to be more people reporting problems (although I think the amount its pretty much the same).

And lets not forget that most of those with problems are overclocking so there's many more factors to consider than just the board (which is normally being taken past its specs).
Old 3rd March, 2003, 10:39 PM

What a load of croc that website is saying:

I've had more problems with my Abit KG7 (Via/AMD chipset); Asus A7V333 (Via) than my 2 Epox 8RDA+ (rev 1.0 and rev 1.1).

The nforce 2 chipset is in such demand that problems are bound to arise in quantity.

If you look through the posts of ABit & Asus & Epox you will see the same old questions again and again (I wish people would do a search first).

The VIA chipset is certainly my idea of a headache - what version of the 4 in 1 drivers are we on now? I am not slagging off VIA as I love my Abit KG7 Raid, but, it took near on 6 months of driver releases to damn well make it stable.

My Epox 8RDA+ was rock solid stable within 4 weeks thanks to Epox's endeavour to release better BIOS's.

That website is amateurish in it's comments and they should edit/withdraw that stupid statement. Give us facts!!!!!
Radeon 9600pro (Cata 3.7)
1 x 80GB Maxtor FB+ 9 8Mb
Samsung 616 DVD-Rom
Antec Truepower 430w
XP Pro SP1 DX9b
Nvidia UDP 2.03

MSI K7n2 Delta ILSR (BIOS ?)
AMD XP2500+ (10.5x200)
2x512mb PC3200 Twinmos (7,3,3,2.5)
Sapphire 9700 128mb (Cat3.7)
120Gb Maxtor SATA 8mb
80Gb Maxtor 8mb 7200rpm
Samsung 616 DVD-Rom
Samsung CD-R/RW 240SB
Antec Trupower 550w
XP Pro SP1 - DX9b
Nvidia UDP 2.45
Old 3rd March, 2003, 10:49 PM

SIMMAH DOWN! SIMMAH DOWN NAH!

They were going by the flood of very similar problems on numerous forums I think, and I think they were entirely correct in the assumption. The nForce does seem to have teething issues and those getting the bunk boards may have been first buyers. I got a Rev 1.1 and haven't had any real issues with it (not by the way of a dead board anyways). This chipset is marketed as an overclockers chipset, so I don't really buy the arguement that it was running beyond spec. I think once the manufacturers started using some higher quality components many issues were resolved.
Abit NF7-S - AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @2300MHz - 210fsb (decided I don't have to redline ) - 1 GB PC3500 Corsair PLT 11-2-2-2 - Thermalright SLK-800 + Vantec Tornado 84.1cfm - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 360/340 - Sony G420S 19" - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - Logitech Z-680 Speakers - Dual Western Digital 80GB 8mb RAID 0 - Western Digital 80GB 2mb buffa' pr0n storage - LiteOn 16x DVD - LiteOn 52x24x52 Burner - Windows XP SP1a.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 10:54 PM

Sometimes Genius I think you are visually deaf..

The only change from 1.0 to 1.1 is the silkscreen printing.

This isnt going to affect compatability or stability........

My own board is literally the first in the UK (and on of the first in the world) and ive had few of the problems others have had... admittedly I may have just been lucky but my board dosent have any of the endemic problems you seem to suggest it must have.

Quote:
Originally posted by Genius
SIMMAH DOWN! SIMMAH DOWN NAH!

They were going by the flood of very similar problems on numerous forums I think, and I think they were entirely correct in the assumption. The nForce does seem to have teething issues and those getting the bunk boards may have been first buyers. I got a Rev 1.1 and haven't had any real issues with it (not by the way of a dead board anyways). This chipset is marketed as an overclockers chipset, so I don't really buy the arguement that it was running beyond spec. I think once the manufacturers started using some higher quality components many issues were resolved.

Old 3rd March, 2003, 10:57 PM

I'm sure I read a post somewhere about Epox using higher quality Mosfets....

If I were deaf I wouldn't have heard that... I can't say whether it's true or not, but hey, I heard.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genius
I'm sure I read a post somewhere about Epox using higher quality Mosfets....

If I were deaf I wouldn't have heard that... I can't say whether it's true or not, but hey, I heard.
I have repeatedly said that that isnt part of the revition change, but was a normall variation in component avalability.

Some 1.0 boards have one manufacturers mosfets and caps and some others, the same is true for 1.1 boards.

Neither caps or mosfets are "superior", ive heard people on various forums saying that both are "inferior" just goes to show you cant trust everything you read on forums...

These changes would not affect any of the "issues" people have with the board in any case.

Old 3rd March, 2003, 11:15 PM

Talking

So there

anyway why did we move to layout its the chipset we was talkin about, the only diff between 1.0 and 1.1 was the differnt places mosfets, and the ram slots were put higher to sort the video card problem neither of which would make a difference to performance as holst sed, anyway how could mosfets in a straihgt line work better the ones that r dotted here n there, just looks better thats all, lol
Old 3rd March, 2003, 11:21 PM

GRRR

The only change is the printing, the ram slots are no higher and the mosfet placing is the same..
the revition change dosent make any difference as there is only a printing change.

As I said allot of what you read on forums is just plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesUK
So there

anyway why did we move to layout its the chipset we was talkin about, the only diff between 1.0 and 1.1 was the differnt places mosfets, and the ram slots were put higher to sort the video card problem neither of which would make a difference to performance as holst sed, anyway how could mosfets in a straihgt line work better the ones that r dotted here n there, just looks better thats all, lol

Old 3rd March, 2003, 11:35 PM

oops am sorry m8, i was tryin to be nice as well, i was under the impression in 1.1 epox raised the ram slots a bit to solve the videocard problem with geforce 4 cards

sorry