AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2003, 01:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cacker

Just got 8RDA+, a few Qs

Hi,

I've upgraded my system with ;

Epox 8rda+
XP 2200+
2 x TwinMos 256MB DDR400 (PC3200) CL2.5 (memory default settings, 8,3,3,2.5)
Volcano 9 Heatsink/Fan

At the outset, everything running at spec speeds.

(1) With the Memory, I have tried both 64bit and 128bit memory configurations (ie normal and Dual DDR) and the Si-Sandra results are pretty much the same (which I kind of expected, i've read the EV6 bus cannot effectively take advantage of Dual DDR).

What is worrying is that Si-Sandra reports around (off the top of my head) 2405 for the 1st bandwidth performance figure, which compares badly against 'slower' RAM (albeit CL2).

What have i done wrong ?

(2) What is the best I can hope without Vdd mod for FSB/CPU/Memory OC.

(3) When i played around with System settings for Memory/CPU/FSB/AGP multipliers, frequencies etc, to get acquainted with it, if i set, for example, memory settings that are not attainable, when the system reboots and I try to enter bios, the screen hangs with a black screen and a flashing cursor top left. Basically i cannot enter BIOS. The only wait to recover is to clear CMOS. Is that normal ? I would have thought that the BIOS would have resorted to safe settings after a failed boot.

Cacker

Last edited by Cacker; 3rd March, 2003 at 01:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2003, 02:36 PM

I just put my system together last week with a 2100 B and the Twinmos PC3200 w/Winbond chips (the $76 ones at MemoryX).

1. I have 2X256 in dual channel and at 205 FSB and I'm getting around 3100 in Sandra. I can run at 6-2-2-2 stable. I tried 5-2-2-2 but it fails Prime95 after awhile. If you have the Winbond chips you can do a lot tighter than stock.

2. With my 2100 I can do 11X205 or 10.5X210 Prime95 stable although the second locks up 3DMark03 for some reason. Might be my overclocked vid card. I haven't done any mods. I'm running 1.85 VCore and 2.77 VDimm. I don't want to push it much more. I do have the A3 revision NB and an Iceberq cooler on the NB and the stock heatsink on the SB.

3. If you hold down insert when rebooting you should be able to get in to the Bios settings without having to clear the cmos. At least it's been working for me that way. The way I found my limits was to set the memory to 6-3-3-2, the FSB to 166 and play with the multiplier. Then I set the multiplier to 10 and slowly raised the FSB until it failed to boot in to Windows. Then I messed with the voltages. Then the memory timings last.

Good luck, it's a great board.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 04:38 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info. As for the memory sticks, how do i identify them (if they are winbond or not, if they're not, what else should i be looking for). Are we talking about Winbond memory controller on the mobo or winbond actually on the memory chip ? I've had a cursory glance at the memory sticks and they're just single sided with 8 chips, on each is written TwinMos.

Also my memory is CL2.5. Have I shot myself in the foot (i assumed they would be CL2, but i should have asked before i bought them, retailer had them simply marked as Major Branded DDR).

Before I 'up' the FSB i think'll sort out the cooling for the North and South Bridge, using the same vantec cooler(s).

Cacker
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2003, 05:30 PM

Hi -

My chips say Winbond on them. I have heard that some (or most?) of the Twinmos chips are really Winbond anyhow. Although some might be rebranded from another supplier. I wouldn't worry about the CAS 2.5, that's how mine were rated also. They run just fine at CAS 2.0.

Good idea about the cooling. I didn't push my board close to 200 before I did the extra cooling. I didn't want to risk anything by running the NB too hot.

I also bought a bios savior at PCMods.com because I heard some people ended up with dead bios chips after pushing the FSB and I thought $20 was good insurance to keep my system up instead of waiting for a new bios chip.

Don't forget to take off the jclk (sets the clock to 100 or 133-166) jumper also. It should help with 200+ FSB.
Old 3rd March, 2003, 05:43 PM

You say you have low memory bandwaidth scores, and use the default settings. The defaults are 166hz (with the Jclk jumper in) FSB and PC3200 is 200Mhz. Therefore you run out of synch! Always set 100% for memory speed. I would probably give Vdimm 2.7v to start with, with your memory. I have twinmos w\winbond labeled chips and can do 200Mhz 2422 with stock Vdd. I cant do much more than that (204Mhz).

Thats the main point use 100% memory. Let me know what happens.
Old 4th March, 2003, 10:39 AM

Hi,

Okay, I think I'm getting it sorted now. I've noticed alot of people mention 'Sync' in their Memory frequency options, it even lists it in the motherboard manual. Unfortunately, it doesnt appear in the list when i scroll through in Bios (bios is the latest too).

Apart from discrete frequencies, it has Auto and 'By Spd'. Anyway, during my testing i matched up the FSB and memory frequencies and managed to get my bandwidth throughput from 2400 to 2900, which is a start. The max I had my FSB was 195mhz at something like 6,2,2,2. I couldnt do this for long, as I haven't added any cooling to the NB and SB, so they were a bit hot )

Just a note on air cooling. I added two case fans to my machine, one at the back, one at the front. The casing is perforated to allow air to flow, but, has anyone found that once the fan is in place, the air can't get through the case perforations fast enough ? i found that although there is air flow OUT of the case, there is more FEEDBACK airflow into the case. Anyway, I took a jigsaw to my case and cut out the casing where the fans are and now i get 100% airflow out of the case at the back and 100% airflow into the case from the front, makes a huge difference.

Oh .. i had a quick go with watercooling, but the motherboard kinda didnt like it.

Cacker
Old 4th March, 2003, 11:18 AM

http://www.doomiii.pwp.blueyonder.co...AdvChipset.jpg
This is where you find 100% in the bios.

Look here for cooling:
http://8rda.com/page2.htm