AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th March, 2003, 04:00 AM

I often read through problematic thread's and wonder if we ever consider the plethora of variables which can conspire to cripple, or de-stabilize our PC's. One is too quick to judge a particular piece of hardware, without realizing, it only takes one damaged resistor, capacitor, voltage regulator, etc. To create anomalies. Any number of software driver conflicts or OS related issues can falsely replicate a hardware anomally, and of course the scenario can be easily juxtiposed. Simply count the number of transistors among the pertinent Chips in your system. 80 million in your VPU, 90 Million here, 40 million there, etc. That's the number of possible anomalies waiting to occur (of course squared).

If your motherboard's been interacting with your soundcard abnormally, and producing a specific distortion, unresolvable through coventional fixes, then RMA the darn board. Even if Epox does suffer from the inevitable number potential failures common to microprocessor manufacture, it's also a matter of odd's. The Epox 8RDA/+ is based upon what is effectively a new chipset. And Epox has placed this new design in more end-users PC's then any other nForce2 mainboard maker. And it's not a mere revision to the nForce, nVidia has released, or it would have labled "a" version (for example). It's been completely revamped. It's a matter of pure statistics. Since there are more 8RDA's out there than any other nForce2 mainboards, the 1/10th of 1% failure rate becomes misleadingly apparent. This is due to the fact the 8RDA is primarily owned by enthusiasts, enthusiasts with a propensity for posting their experiences (by human nature, bad more then good) on internet hardware forums, thereby giving these "normal" failures abnormally high exposure. In statistics (and this is about statistics) this would be the non-control group results, and entirely misrepresentive of the facts.

It simply irk's me when people "brand" bash without hard data. There may be problems with some of Epox's nForce2 boards, and there may in fact be problems inherent to the nForce2 design and implementation. Actual facts confirm the latter. There are several quite obvious reasons for this. First, and foremost; HEAT, the NB (even prior to any VDD-mod) runs extremely hot. This isn't universally indicative of a "poor" design, or even a poorly implemented one, but without adequate cooling (which I still believe even hardened enthusiasts do not grasp the full importance of) performance is bound to suffer. The fact 200FSB speeds were, here-to-fore unattainable until recently, is indicative of this anomally. Only one board offers a VDD adjustable voltage, and it's ceiling is 1.7V, which is still anemic for FSB clock speeds above 230MHz. And most boards have passive cooling on a NB which requires a CPU tolerant HSF! I won't get into the other idiosyncracies innate to the nForce2, suffice it to say the benefit's of this chipset FAR outweigh, these nuisances! The nforce2 has given us the highest memory bandwidth, some of the highest FSB speeds, and overclocking freindly features of any Socket-A chipset to date. You have to break a few egg's to make a creme Brulee!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2003, 05:36 AM

Have got to agree with u liquid3d. The problem, to me seems to belie the fact that there are a few problems with the nforce2 chipset, and that epox did the best they could in the time frame they had. Note that they are normally one of the last to release a board for a chipset, and the 8RDA+ came out relatively quickly.

IMO the nforce2 has some power consumption issues that need to be rectified before it is put in notebooks.
Old 13th March, 2003, 05:39 AM

8RDA+ and Audigy 1 here. Using all inputs and outputs (except the firewire.)

I admit the combination is a bit of overkill, but no sound stuttering with a whole wealth of features enabled.

Light load on the PCI bus... the Audigy is the only card but that will change as I plan on putting an U160 card in there... screw IDE RAID.
Old 13th March, 2003, 08:18 AM

I can't beleive i wrote that twice. I had a power failure and thought I lost it. my next project is to write my own BIOS.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th March, 2003, 09:49 AM

I couldn't RMA it, even if I tried. The vendor would most likely give me the same ... ... narrowminded checkpoints as in this thread, and eventually blame it on a user error.

The problem lies with the hardware or software on nvidia's end.

By the way, a firingsquad comparison is hardly authoritative, comprehensive or correctly guided. It wasn't a quality comparison, it was mainly a cpu utilisation comparison. I'm going with the audio engineers + experts on this one in saying that while the digital out may be live<soundstorm<audigy, analogue sure as hell isnt.