AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th March, 2003, 10:23 AM

Unhappy Floppy Drive Failure

Hello,
I have purchased the above motherboard and I am unable to get my floppy drive to work.
My system includes :-
Epox 8RDA+
AMD Athlon 2800 Barton
2 x 512mb TwinMOS memory
Saphire 9700 Pro 128mb Graphics Card
2 x Maxtor 120 Gb 8mb cache Hard drives
Plextor CDRW
Pioneer A05 DVD-R

Windows XP Pro

I have tried 2 different drives and 2 cables which I know both work.
The bios revision is 31/12/02 - I have ensured that the onboard FDC controller is enabled.
If I enable the Boot Up Floppy Seek I get a Floppy Disk Drive error (40). When disabled the PC boots XP Pro although I have noticed there is a 15 second delay (no hard disk activity) before going to the desktop.
I thought this may be due to the onboard network card but there was no change when I disabled this in the bios.
In Windows I can see the floppy drive but if I try to open a floppy the disk light comes on but I get a drive controller error.

I don't use the floppy drive except for bios updates, I have tried using the Windows bios updater supplied with the motherboard but the connection always fails.

Can you help me please.
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:01 PM

A few obvious possibilities.
You.ve mamaged to get the cable on backwards or upside down each time (unlikely)
Or you have a problem with the FDC. Have you checked in system/devices to see if it thinks it is working properly?
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:05 PM
jcool

Try and load the optimized defaults, my Floppy doesn't work when loading the fail-safe defaults...
And in case your Floppy LED is shining all the time, you have most likely plugged it upside down into the Floppy drive.
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:21 PM

Cheers for the replies - not got the cable on upside down - can't do this as its notched. I will try the fail safe defaults, also I'm gonna check/change the ide controller for the pause during bootup and the disappearing cd drives. I have IGI 2 and the game stutters badly - I thought this was a kick arse system? Going to check my IRQ's to make sute the IDE controller isn't sharing the same IRQ with anything else as someone mentioned in a previous post.
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:37 PM

the cable is upside-down on the floppy drive, you need to take a knife and cut the notch off so you can plug it in the other way. I had to do it on my 8rda+. as well as some of my older mobos. Alot of my friends had to do it too, and some didn't... i think it has something to do with the 3 diffrent brands of floppy drives there are. mitsumi, sony, and maybe a few others. a steak knife works great if you saw it, but it might be hard to clean the plastic off it... just be carefull :P
ATI 9800Pro @ 420/760
lots of hard drives on highpoint RocketRAID 404 (some in raid...some not)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:40 PM

That doesn't sound right - the cables where fine when installed on my old KR7A-Raid M/B. Surely I don't have to cut the notch off and put it on the other way - but I'm running out of ideas so I will give it a go if thats waht you guys recommend.
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:42 PM

well, on my abit kt7 i had to do it, but on my kt7a i didn't... on my 8k5a3+ i didn't and on my 8rda+ i did. this is all with the same floppy drive, and same floppy cable. worst case scenario, it doesn't work... but it won't hurt anything to try
ATI 9800Pro @ 420/760
lots of hard drives on highpoint RocketRAID 404 (some in raid...some not)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th March, 2003, 03:48 PM

Thanks m8 - I will give it a go and let you know - It can't hurt to try. If it works then I'll by you a :beer: if your ever in my area.