AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th March, 2003, 05:56 PM

Thumbs up 8rga+ : another GREAT mobo from epox!

I've finally started testing my new shiny Epox 8RGA+, coming from a "lucky" 8RDA+ rev. 1.0 able to hit 206 mhz without any vdd mod...
I've read scary things about the new mobo, like it won't reach high fsb... that's NOT true!

So far I tested up to 215 mhz in dual channel with the best timings, vdimm 2.90 and vdd 1.80 and the mobo is ROCK stable!
I'm going to push it more tonight, for now all I can say is that Epox deliveder another solid product with great o.c. capabilities.

The only weird thing is about voltages : with 8rda+ my Enermax 430 watt was able to mantain very good voltages except for +5 fluctuating between 4.86-4.89...
With 8rga+ +5 stays @ 5.05 even over 2.00 volts, but actually vdimm and vcore settings are NOT accurate :
vdd 2.90 gives 2.83-2.86
vcore 1.950-1.975 gives 1.92
vcore 2.00 gives 1.94
vcore 2.025 gives 1.96-1.98

I hope epox will fix it, it's just a little thing in order to make perfect a great product.

Keep up the good work and deliver, if possible, a bios with some more performance because mobo seems slightly slower than 8rda
Old 17th March, 2003, 06:37 PM

RE- voltages read my sig

Maybee you not lucky, I think you probably have something in your system that helps you to get a good OC where others cant.

Remember that the 8RGA+ runs the CPU from the 12v line, so the 5v wont be as crytical to stability as on 8RDA+.

Let us know how you get on with pushing higher

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th March, 2003, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
RE- voltages read my sig

Maybee you not lucky, I think you probably have something in your system that helps you to get a good OC where others cant.
As I said it's not a big issue
With 9KA2+ it was terrible because even setting 2.00 volts couldn't help having more than 1.92...
8rga+ climbs high, I have just to bump it more than usual to get the real voltage I need...
About my system... I simply don't save a $ when I upgrade.
I firmly believe that quality costs so I choose the best components. It _really_ helps, especially when overclocking, because a single bad component is able to prevent any success.
I'm not a pro, I don't use water or any extravagant cooling... just a very tuned aircooling able to let me set 2.00 vcore and having 35° temperature after hours of play or prime

Quote:

Remember that the 8RGA+ runs the CPU from the 12v line, so the 5v wont be as crytical to stability as on 8RDA+.

Let us know how you get on with pushing higher
Cough cough, I didn't know :clown:

I'll do more tests tomorrow, for now I must say I'm really satisfied with this mobo... nice work again epox
Old 17th March, 2003, 08:14 PM

Quote:
oh, c'mon! isn't then about time epox includes that something so all can get a high OC?

some people (like myself) went through more than one 8rda+/8rga+ boards with same system and very different results.

i still LOVE my board.
Old 17th March, 2003, 08:50 PM

Borchi I think they doesn't know why there are so different reasults with similar configuration.
They can't test every single combination of hw, different batches of dimm, cpu...
I got only lucky boards from 8KHA+ to 8RGA+ (and consider that I had 8k5a3+, 8k9a2, 8rda+.... all the latest epox solutions!) so there must be an explanation hidden somewhere...

BTW testing @ 216 mhz fsb, all fine.
Old 17th March, 2003, 09:46 PM

hmmm, the more i listen to this the less i understand the logic behind it.

it is clear that there is virtually no hardware performing equally across the whole range (there are so called "good" and "bad" weeks for cpus etc.) and now i'm supposed to belive that all 8rga+ board are created equal, that there is something wrong with my setup? that there is something wrong with my setup when i put in my 8rga+ and nothing wrong when i put in my friends 8rga+ 10 minutes later?

i can totally live with the fact that not all epox boards are equal. but, please, don't give me that "something" reasoning.
Old 17th March, 2003, 10:35 PM

can you guys confirm lower IDLE CPU temps on 8RGA+ compared to 8RDA+? I read about something like a "Bios-Cpucool" on this board
XP1700+@2505mhz(12.5x200mhz)@1.85V l Watercooling Cape-Corp KC42-X2 l 8RGA+, NB active, SB passive cooled l MOSFETS & Vreg passive cooled l 512MB PC3200 TwinMOS @ 2.77V l Leadtek A250 LE mod. to Quadro4 700XGL @ 300/553 l Seagate Barracuda IV 7200, 80GB l Pioneer DVD-115F regionfree l LiteOn CD/RW LTR-48246S l Sitecom Wireless USB -Adapter l DigitalDoc 5

PCI1 > free l PCI2 > free l PCI3 > free l PCI4 > PROMISE ULTRA100 TX2 l PCI5 > WinFast TV200XP Tv-Tuner l PCI6 > free

431 watt enermax PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2003, 10:18 AM

In reply to Borchi : I don't think there's something wrong with your setup, I don't even know what's your setup as well... all I can say is that until today I didn't get any unlucky epox mobo, but I'm going to verify one thing : when I bought my previous 8rda+, I also bought one of it for one of my friends. He can't reach even 180 mhz, so I'm giving him my old "206 mhz" 8rda+ to see if the problem is with its mobo or its setup (that is VERY similar to mine).
I'll let you know how it will run, if you are interested.

In reply to Toxicblue : I can't judge because every single time I change a mobo, I clean my hsf (a thermaltake SLK-600) because with the noisy Ultradelta EHE it catches a lot of dirt. So I always get better temps because of that.
Old 19th March, 2003, 09:38 AM

I found out that adding a good fan on northbridge hsf of epox 8rga+ helps A LOT.
Without it, I can run any heavy application (from prime to divx encoding for hours and hours) but games freezes.
I added a delta (the only spare fan I have in this moment) and stability became perfect even in gaming.
Nb with vdd 1.8 is definitely hot, bios readout is really wrong (28°....). With the delta it lowered only 2-3 degrees (another strange readout...) but stability in 3d application grew a lot.

Try it.
Old 19th March, 2003, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lone^Star
I found out that adding a good fan on northbridge hsf of epox 8rga+ helps A LOT.
Without it, I can run any heavy application (from prime to divx encoding for hours and hours) but games freezes.
I added a delta (the only spare fan I have in this moment) and stability became perfect even in gaming.
Nb with vdd 1.8 is definitely hot, bios readout is really wrong (28°....). With the delta it lowered only 2-3 degrees (another strange readout...) but stability in 3d application grew a lot.

Try it.
Which reading is the temp of NB? I would like to know as I've just got one 8RGA+
Radeon 8500
Old 19th March, 2003, 03:44 PM

Re: 8rga+ : another GREAT mobo from epox!

Quote:
The only weird thing is about voltages : with 8rda+ my Enermax 430 watt was able to mantain very good voltages except for +5 fluctuating between 4.86-4.89...
With 8rga+ +5 stays @ 5.05 even over 2.00 volts, but actually vdimm and vcore settings are NOT accurate :
vdd 2.90 gives 2.83-2.86
vcore 1.950-1.975 gives 1.92
vcore 2.00 gives 1.94
vcore 2.025 gives 1.96-1.98

I hope epox will fix it, it's just a little thing in order to make perfect a great product.

Keep up the good work and deliver, if possible, a bios with some more performance because mobo seems slightly slower than 8rda
Thats weird as with my enermax 460w mine is over volting by about the same as yours is under volting, i'm pretty chuffed overall especially as I got it cheap :-D which ram are you using?
Old 19th March, 2003, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waiho2k1

Which reading is the temp of NB? I would like to know as I've just got one 8RGA+
Chipset temperature
I got 28° under stress without a fan on northrbridge, now I get 25° and 3d games runs without any problem.
Old 19th March, 2003, 05:48 PM

Re: Re: 8rga+ : another GREAT mobo from epox!

Quote:
Originally posted by bradmax57

Thats weird as with my enermax 460w mine is over volting by about the same as yours is under volting, i'm pretty chuffed overall especially as I got it cheap :-D which ram are you using?
If you have an Enermax 465 like me, it's a 430 watt not 460
If you have another model, forget what I said

I'm using 2x256 Corsair PC3200 XMS, and I think it's an AWESOME piece of tech : 217 mhz with settings 2-2-2-5 and vdimm 2.90!
I think I can push them more, tonight I'll do some more testing
Old 19th March, 2003, 10:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: 8rga+ : another GREAT mobo from epox!

Quote:

If you have an Enermax 465 like me, it's a 430 watt not 460
If you have another model, forget what I said

I'm using 2x256 Corsair PC3200 XMS, and I think it's an AWESOME piece of tech : 217 mhz with settings 2-2-2-5 and vdimm 2.90!
I think I can push them more, tonight I'll do some more testing
Mine is a EG465AX-VE but it clearly states on the box 460W?
Old 20th March, 2003, 01:49 AM

Quote:

Chipset temperature
I got 28° under stress without a fan on northrbridge, now I get 25° and 3d games runs without any problem.
So is that the system temp in the USDM?
Radeon 8500