AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th March, 2003, 05:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to FlyingHamster Send a message via AIM to FlyingHamster

newbie overclocking questions..

ok, Im ordering 1 stick of 512mb of pc3200 TwinMOS RAM, and I have never OC'ed past 140 FSB before. I just havent had the luck.

since im getting this ram, Im pretty sure I'll be able to get around 200 FSB. My question is, what all do I need to change in BIOS for this to work properly, wihtout having other things fail?

When I get past 166, doesnt some "PCI/AGP" or sumthin intefere (excuse me if Im wayyy off), and I need to change something right?

And what about this AGP tearing? what is this all about lol. I also have an ethernet card on my motherboard...

I just need some advice from all of you "Professional OC'ers" lol.

Check my sig for system specs...

AMD 2600-m @ 2.64ghz [AQYHA]
240x11 , 1.85vcore , 3.2vdimm
DFI Ultra Infinity [fully modded]
2x256mb TwinMOS pc3700 43B
Radeon 9800Pro @ 450/370
Thermalright SP-97 + Smart Fan II
Lian Li PC-60 w/ 7 case fans [modded]
100% aircooled

looking for 260fsb ram?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2003, 05:38 PM

Re: newbie overclocking questions..

#1 Unlock chip if you have any dreams about 200FSB. If not buy an 8rda MB. You will be able to hit 200 but you need to unlock your chip. Once unlocked. Relax your timing & raise the voltage to about 2.9 on the RAM. Start benching & test for stability

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingHamster
ok, Im ordering 1 stick of 512mb of pc3200 TwinMOS RAM, and I have never OC'ed past 140 FSB before. I just havent had the luck.

since im getting this ram, Im pretty sure I'll be able to get around 200 FSB. My question is, what all do I need to change in BIOS for this to work properly, wihtout having other things fail?

When I get past 166, doesnt some "PCI/AGP" or sumthin intefere (excuse me if Im wayyy off), and I need to change something right?

And what about this AGP tearing? what is this all about lol. I also have an ethernet card on my motherboard...

I just need some advice from all of you "Professional OC'ers" lol.

Check my sig for system specs...
7-3-3 C2 Aggresive 3.05 VDim
Promise TX2000 2 40gb IBM on RAID
Albatron TI4200 Turbo VMod 330/730
Onboard sound 5.1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th March, 2003, 02:58 AM

Once you have unlocked your CPU then you can start overclocking otherwise forget it cos you won’t get very far. If you got the money go for the 8RDA+ it’s an overclockers dream as it unlocks your multiplier for you.
You should be able to get a FSB of 200 with the new Ram but one of the biggest rules in oc'ing is to know what you’re doing. Your Bios is your best friend, this is where you get the right settings to overclock your PC. I.e. you got to know what voltage to put on your components and most importantly you really need to know what Ram timings to put on. Since you’re not sure I will help you. When you go to your bios in Advance Settings put your ram timings on Turbo. Since your Heatsink is pretty good put your CPU voltage to about 1.9 your ram@2.8 and your AGP@1.6.
Just keep messing with the FSB and multiplier while keeping your CPU speed no more than 200Mhz overclocked. The better your CPU the more you can go as I think I’ve told you many times before on one of your other post’s.
Finally the most important thing to remember is to keep an eye on your temps as you don’t want to burn anything ok?