AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th March, 2003, 07:21 PM

RGA+ woes

Hi all,

I recently bought EP8-RGA+ and i am otherwise quite happy with it except that it BSODs every time i try to use integrated GF4MX controller in it.

When i get to run so far that it actually reaches for example 3Dmark 2001 Se demo there seems to be awfully lot of artifacts in the screen. After running the demo - BSOD.
Sometimes it puts out IRQ less or equal error and reason seems to be in nv4_disp.dll if i recall right.

Memory chips itself seem to be in order, since repeated memtest86 runs do not notice anything weird in them.
(2x512 meg no-name sticks)

Board itself is seems to be rev 0.6.

Any ideas what is causing BSODs ?

Br,
Janne
Old 29th March, 2003, 07:38 PM
AOA Staff

I have had to spend a lot of time to get mine to run 3d graphics in games without crashing.

In the bios set-up, try setting VDD voltage to 1.8v instead of 1.6v.

Ensure the graphics are set-up to use 128mb of system RAM, not 32mb.

If it still crashes, reduce the FSB down to 133mhz on both cpu and memory and see how it is.

Do you know what speed RAM you have?
Old 29th March, 2003, 07:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Which drivers are you using for the integrated graphics?

Áedán
Old 29th March, 2003, 07:55 PM

I am running the mobo with NForce drivers version 2.03 and upgraded display drivers first to 43.45 but they do exactly the same as 42.68 version.

RAM which i am using is DDR 333, 7-3-3-2.5 no-name ones, (I think manufacturer might be EUDAR dunno for sure tho).

CPU is XP 2100+ running on stock settings, had to try 10x200MHz and it ran nicely with default voltages .

Only thing bugging atm is that damn integrated gfx is not working :/

Btw,

I tried rising that VDD to 1.8v but it made gfx artifacts even bigger, now it missed complete triangles or filled them wrong.
Old 29th March, 2003, 08:01 PM
AOA Staff

I am using the latest nForce drivers. I have not installed any other display drivers.

I would recommend completely reinstalling Windows after installing a new mobo. Seems like a drag, but is less of a drag than reinstalling drivers and so on.
Old 29th March, 2003, 08:06 PM

Well,

As my last motherboard was KT266a one i did have to reinstall windows anyway.

So far i have installed it twice, without ACPI and with ACPI and in both cases result is the same: BSOD or even spontaneous reboot.

Also IDE drivers in 2.03 driver pack seem to give some problem so i skipped those.
Old 29th March, 2003, 08:25 PM
AOA Staff

Have you eliminated possible overheating?
Old 29th March, 2003, 08:43 PM

Well kinda yea,

I am running it on server case at the moment and
it should be quite well ventilated.

Currently its running Prime95 for torturing and temperature for CPU is 36.5 degrees of celsius and system temperature is 34 degrees of celsius.

CPU temp is bit lowish but as bios values are the same, so i dont really trust it.

(I am using CPUCool to get values in XP)
Old 29th March, 2003, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff

CPU temp looks fine.

The system temp is maybe a little warm - does your case have any fans other than the power supply fan?
Old 29th March, 2003, 09:10 PM

Currently running on one case fan. It has spacing for second, but i dont have it installed. Makes bit too much noise.

I could second fan there and try but i dont think it makes the difference.
Old 29th March, 2003, 09:14 PM
AOA Staff

One case fan should do the job. I only have one running on mine, my two front fans are disconnected for the same reason - noise.
Old 29th March, 2003, 09:19 PM
AOA Staff

I will try running 3d mark on mine and see what happens.....
Old 29th March, 2003, 09:59 PM

Alright, thanks.

Otherwise system seems to be rock solid, been running prime95 and no probs.

Just wondering if board is semi DOA after all =(
Old 29th March, 2003, 10:59 PM

had similar problems on another manufacturers IGP. no matter which driver or which os we used, the board was horrendous. we swapped it after many days wrestling to no avail. the latest WHQL 2.03 drivers for 98se have only been out a few days so we haven't tried them yet. haven't started the board since it crashed out of win2ksp2 safe mode at 100fsb. the distributors tech insists that it is possible so we'll keep trying. the time wasted so far is worth a box a board though.

does anyone succesfully run an nforce2 IGP's graphics? how???
Old 29th March, 2003, 11:19 PM
AOA Staff

I am using the onboard graphics.

System is not totaly stable when running 3d games with FSB at 166/333. But is total stable when running windows.

If i drop the fsb to 133 it is completely stable in games, with a resolution of 800x600 32bit and all effects set to max.

There is very little noticeable performance loss with the fsb set to 133. Game like unreal II are very smooth.

I am going to fit a fan to the NB and see if that will fully stablise it.
Old 29th March, 2003, 11:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There do seem to be some differences between the onboard graphics, and a Geforce4MX. Most recommendations I've seen were to stay with the nForce2 integrated drivers, as these include the correct graphics driver.

Áedán
Old 29th March, 2003, 11:32 PM

think I'm going to try xpsp1 then. otherwise if the 98se whql fails i'll try other manufacturers drivers.
Old 29th March, 2003, 11:38 PM

Alrighty,

Managed to run 3DMark 2k1 se to end with FSB 100MHz, but still, very noticeable graphical glitches. Multiplier was 7, not exactly the one which i would like

Ill try integrated drivers but i feel that they wont make much difference.

I am using XP SP1 if it matters.
Old 29th March, 2003, 11:47 PM

Oh well,

Tried 2.03 driverpacks display drivers which were 41.13.

Still 3DMark crashes down after first gametest has been completed.
Old 30th March, 2003, 12:15 AM
AOA Staff

You have to install XP SP1 for this mobo.

Have you tried running fsb 133?

Also, there is a jumper on the board for setting fsb, see the manual.

Have you tried running any games or just 3d mark?