AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th March, 2003, 08:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ricochet

Picked up a 2100 'B' - Advice for o/c'ing steps

Finally got around to switching my (rather poor) palamino 1800+ (AGOIA) for a tbred 2100+ today.. the pally wouldn't budge past 1790mhz, anything over that (with less or more voltage) and i'd get constant sudden reboots during bootup ...

the tbred's stepping details are as follows:-

AIUHB 0301VPCW <----- is anyone able to clarify the o/c'ing potential of this particular chip?

The main reason for this thread is that I'd like to hear some advice from some of you in relation to the o/c'ing steps in order to achieve maximum stability / overclock over a period of time.. I have an 8k9a2+ which unlocks the multiplier automatically (like the 8rda) so i have all the options available to me...

Where shall I start? and with what vcore etc. ?

how do i determine what this chip is capable of long-term?

is burn-in a good idea?

Look forward to some support,

cheers..

Ric
Old 30th March, 2003, 02:11 PM
jcool

Firstly, max out the FSB.
Set your Ram to 2-2-2 5 Timings and set Vdimm to 2,9V.
Set your Mult to 10 or something even lower and test what FSB you can achieve stable.
Then, when you've got the max. stable FSB with fast Timings (important!) then raise the Multiplier.
This chip should be able to hit at least 2Ghz with default Vcore.
Then try 2,1 and so on.
If your system reboots or gets instable or freezes, then raise the Vcore a bit.
Depending on your cooling, you should not go over 1,8-1,95V to avoĆ*d damaging your CPU.
I think, you can achieve something between 2,3 and 2,4Ghz with this CPU.
Old 30th March, 2003, 03:29 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Before you start, you need to identify a few things.
First, will your PSU be able to handle a significant power draw of high overclocking. Second, how good is your HSF. Third, what is the capability of your Memory.

How good (or poor) your PSU is, may limit your max vcore and your total oc. The HSF is obvious, and you memory capability may limit you max FSB... depending on the memory tho, I wouldn't goto 2.9, but 2.7 to start off. Given that, you should pick one like memory, as jccol mentions, and see how much your memory can take and remain stable.
I suggest using memtest to test the memory. Also, lower the speed of the IDE devices to ATA100 or ATA66 to play it safe with your data while testing.

Next, drop the FSB well below the limits, and push the multiplier to identify the max total mhz the cpu can do.

Always, always keep an eye on temps when testing.
good luck.
Old 30th March, 2003, 04:03 PM

thanks for your advice guys, will definately come in handy...

i've done a bit of fiddling already, my palamino chip was unlocked so i knew my ram/motherboard could do up to 193fsb (any higher and i get data corruption, 'tis a common problem with the 8k9a boards) ... so thats the highest fsb i can achieve with any cpu obviously..

first thing i did was up from default 133x13, to 166x13 (2158mhz) with default voltage.. wouldnt even boot into windows... so i went up to 1.7v .. still go no .. 1.775v? got into windows but was unstable.....

to cut a long story short.. she's not a successfull overclocker by the looks of it ... i'm currently at 2,200mhz with 1.85vcore.. and thats as good as it gets i think :/ seems rock solid though.. ran right through 3dmark anyway, thats no indication of stability but its a start..

oh, and temps? 38c idle ... 42c under load.. if i put more voltage through the chip.. it gets to 44c and a sudden reboot occurs. 44c is the max .. interesting eh?

Last edited by Ricochet; 30th March, 2003 at 04:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2003, 04:31 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

By today's oc standard, you seem to have a mediocre core... nothing to be ashamed of tho.... my B can barely do 2ghz.

What are you using for cooling? I wouldn't trust the temp reading 100%....

EDIT: 3dmark is a start, but folding for a week or 2 is a better stability test.
Old 30th March, 2003, 04:47 PM

I'm using a Volcano7 (not 7+) ... I prefer the 7 over the 7+ as it uses an 80mm fan.. the only benefit of the 7+ is that it's an all-copper heatsink.. whereas on the standard 7.. just the core of the heatsink is copper..

and yeah i've learnt not to trust the temps the mobo is reporting.. but they can't be terribly far off.. and 38c to 40c idle with 1.95v going through a 1.6v chip seems very much away from dangerzone so i don't believe temps are the issue..

reason i said 1.95v is because i've just bumped it up to 195x11.5 = 2252mhz and it seems rock solid... although prime95 would probably prove otherwise, so far everything else is perfectly fine.. fired up winamp and played UT for 25 mins, was smooth as.. ran 3dmark (finally broke 10,000 3dmarks with a gf3 ti200 hehe)

so i still think my upgrade from the 1800+ palamino @ a max of 1.79ghz was well worth it... would you agree based on what i've said?
Old 30th March, 2003, 04:53 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Loose the 7... it sucks for overclocking. I have one in the box. It wasn't able to adequately cool my AGOIA @1.85v at 1.8ghz. I've tried numerous times to get the cooling up to snuff. I lapped it, reapplied as2 numerous times, and finally gave up.

If you get a better cooler, I think you will get a lot more out of your cpu. The 7+ IS a much better HSF. The 7's Heatsink thermal dissapation capability is very very disappointing.

EDIT: the volcano 7 may have the dubious honor of being the worst HSF designed for an 8cm fan.

EDIT2: To answer your question, yes, it was worth it, even without the HSF upgrade.

Last edited by SteveI; 30th March, 2003 at 05:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th March, 2003, 05:28 PM

had both those coolers too and i fully back SteveI's statements. am running the 7+ now at 34' idle on the middle rig in my sig.
Old 30th March, 2003, 06:54 PM

the doctor thermals are a much better cooler.
Old 31st March, 2003, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Loose the 7... it sucks for overclocking. I have one in the box. It wasn't able to adequately cool my AGOIA @1.85v at 1.8ghz. I've tried numerous times to get the cooling up to snuff. I lapped it, reapplied as2 numerous times, and finally gave up.

If you get a better cooler, I think you will get a lot more out of your cpu. The 7+ IS a much better HSF. The 7's Heatsink thermal dissapation capability is very very disappointing.

EDIT: the volcano 7 may have the dubious honor of being the worst HSF designed for an 8cm fan.

EDIT2: To answer your question, yes, it was worth it, even without the HSF upgrade.

ah really, I didn't actually know that! I'm glad in a lot of ways.. because it still leaves me with the possibility of obtaining a higher clock speed with this chip... I was hoping for 2.4ghz+ when I bought it, but as you've just pointed out.. the volcano7 might be restricting me from achieving that quite significantly..

the only reason i didn't think it was a cooling issue up until now is because of the temps my 8k9a2+ is reporting.. never budges past 43 / 44c under load .. and sits on around 38 to 39c idle..

the other factor which made me think "the chip just can't do these speeds, it's not a heat problem" is that if the pc's been off for several hrs (ie. the cpu is stone cold) then i turn the machine on and instantly clock it to 2.3ghz, it won't even boot into windows the first time around.. i thought it would take more then 1 minute for heat to rise enough to cause instability.. ?
Old 31st March, 2003, 04:15 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I can only say that the v7 was not helping your oc attempt. Most AGOIA's can do 1800... and a little more with lots of juice. I'd say your readings are definitely too low... most water cooling can't really stay in the low 40's under load. How much it's off is really the question.

I'd say definitely don't run at 1.85v tho... It would be criminal to run higher. If you think it is worth it, get a better cooler... it may get you another 100mhz or more, or it may not. But a better cooler will definitely extend the life of your CPU. All things being equal, I dropped over 10c when I switched to an SK7 +sf2 (3500rpm). That was good for 80mhz on my AGOIA.

You may not want to spend as much, but there are definitely decent heatsinks under $25 too. For a budget, an SK6+ with a good 6cm fan would also be a good choice.
Old 31st March, 2003, 08:46 AM

ok thanks for the advice, will definately look at investing in a better cooling solution sometime soon...

obviously my motherboard is reporting excessively WRONG temps... to the point that it seems faulty...

my old palamino chip became very unstable at 48c (sudden reboots) ... and this tbred is dishing out sudden reboots at 43c .... both chips (pally and the tbred) had 1.92vcore going through them with those temps.