AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:19 AM

Bios Installation?

Peeps,

I have attempted to flash my bios on my Epox Board but everytime I do alt+f2 and the floppy kicks in I get the message NTLDR is missing. This hasn't harmed my rig (yet!) in any way but I am confused.

Does anyone know what this might be?

My disk with the bios file 8RDA3305 (bin file) is write protected, but that shouldn't make any difference but as I haven't done this before I don't know if the PC needs to write anything to the disk ( I cannot see why it should! :scratch: )

Please help! I hope this is a good Bios version to upgrade to, research suggests its OK as is the 1/29/03.

Is it also a good idea to reset your original bios setup, or is it ok to flash without doing this?

On another note there seems to be loads of bios versions out for this board, does the latest version incorporate all the other changes of previous updates?

Thanks

Paul
Club 3D X800XT
Maxtor 80 Gig Sata
Win XP SP2
Tsunami Case
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:41 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Yes, newer versions tend to incorperate previous changes. Obviously, changes will be backed out of newer BIOSes if it's found to causes problems.

As far as your NTLDR not found message - it sounds like your ALT+F2 might not be registered. When you do hit ALT+F2, you should see a line near the bottom of the screen change, to let you know the BIOS is going to enter AWDFLASH. (I think!)

Another question - is your keyboard USB or PS/2?

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 11:57 AM

Aedan,

My keyboard can run from either but at the moment its running through one of my USB 2 Ports. It's the new Logitech Navigator Keyboard, I'm pretty sure that I had the f key lock function on (to diable all the other short cut functions of the F keys).

What do you think

Paul
Club 3D X800XT
Maxtor 80 Gig Sata
Win XP SP2
Tsunami Case
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 12:07 PM

The only time I have ever seen this message was when windows XP was corrupted to due high overclocks. You may have to reinstall windows
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Old 1st April, 2003, 12:24 PM

Oh crap! Dah well, guess i'll get cracking with Toca Race Driver rather than mess up my rig! :-D
Club 3D X800XT
Maxtor 80 Gig Sata
Win XP SP2
Tsunami Case
Old 1st April, 2003, 12:42 PM

Suggest not write protecting your BIOS floppy. When I do the "update" method via the boot-to-floppy, it backs up the "old.bin" to the floppy. Maybe it can't write the backup BIOS to the floppy?

just a thought.
AIW 9700 Pro (Cat 3.8/MMC 8.7)
Audigy X-Gamer
Old 1st April, 2003, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buzz_lips
Aedan,

My keyboard can run from either but at the moment its running through one of my USB 2 Ports. It's the new Logitech Navigator Keyboard, I'm pretty sure that I had the f key lock function on (to diable all the other short cut functions of the F keys).
Try plugging your keyboard into the PS/2 port instead, and see how that helps.

The NTLDR message is basically because the computer is trying to boot off the floppy disk. When you sucessfully invoke the ALT+F2 method of flashing, the computer won't boot from the floppy. It just drop straight into AWDFLASH, which will read the file from the floppy and flash it.

So, for whatever reason, your computer is not seeing you pressing ALT+F2.

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay T
The only time I have ever seen this message was when windows XP was corrupted to due high overclocks. You may have to reinstall windows
Nah, it's because the floppy disk was formatted using NT/2K/XP. They automatically put the boot sector on the disk, but don't put any of the other files there. Hence, if you start the machine up with a floppy in the drive you'll get that message, as NTLDR isn't on the floppy (nor is the rest of NT/2K/XP!).

Áedán
Old 1st April, 2003, 03:09 PM

OK, but this could be a corrupted windows installation, although I accept its unlikely here.
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:29 PM

You do have awdflash,update and restore on the dsc as well as the bios.bin file?
2x Maxtor 80 gig DM9's SI raid0
2x Maxtor 60 gig DM9's Acard raid0
sk7 with 80 mm sunon
win 2000 pro