AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2003, 02:11 PM

no Primary slave

howcome i can't hook up a primary slave to my 8RDA? is this a common prob? it just doesn't detect anything (CD or HD)
Silentmaxx Fanless Pro 503W PSU. EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra. AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice E6. Twinmos 512 DDR x 2 (dual channel) PC3200. Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm, 8MB Sata II x 2 @ raid0, Cpu, Gpu, Chipset watercooled by Innovatek (and a Ford Taunus engine radiator)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 02:29 PM

What is on the master and how is that set?
I've certainly got no probs with a HD and CDRW on primary IDE.

Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2003, 06:09 PM
AOA Staff

Check the jumpers on the drives, avoid using "cable select" setting.

Ensure that the master drive is connected to the connector at the end of the IDE cable.

For best performance ensure your HDD is not slave to a CD drive.
Old 1st April, 2003, 06:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sirtoby

Even if it doesn't detect it, does it still work in windows?

Because my second HD doesn't show up during cold boot while it does work in windows..

Also, if you cold boot the computer, and then hit the reset button.. does it then show up?
Old 1st April, 2003, 07:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Are you using a WD drive by any chance?
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:13 PM

no... seagate *old* 2,1 GB.
I've got it to work on the secondary IDE, master to CDrom, but not on the end connector, does that matter? btw does this board support RAID? how does it work?
does HD performance influence 3Dmarks?
Silentmaxx Fanless Pro 503W PSU. EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra. AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice E6. Twinmos 512 DDR x 2 (dual channel) PC3200. Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm, 8MB Sata II x 2 @ raid0, Cpu, Gpu, Chipset watercooled by Innovatek (and a Ford Taunus engine radiator)
Old 1st April, 2003, 10:57 PM
AOA Staff

If you have set the jumpers on you HD to the 'master' position you should plug it into the connector at the very end of the IDE ribbon cable.
Old 2nd April, 2003, 10:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SpleeNMaN
no... seagate *old* 2,1 GB.
I've got it to work on the secondary IDE, master to CDrom, but not on the end connector, does that matter? btw does this board support RAID? how does it work?
does HD performance influence 3Dmarks?
If it's that old, there is the possibility of incompatibilities between it and newer drives. It almost certainly doesn't support much in the way of DMA, so you should not be using an 80pin cable with it.

Additionally, you will probably want to turn the DMA settings in the BIOS/Windows down to the point where the system doesn't attempt to negotiate UltraDMA speeds, as the drive doesn't know what they are.

Áedán
Old 2nd April, 2003, 12:38 PM

no i'm pretty sure it does udma
still, is it bad to use the 80pin w/ cdrom drive??