AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd April, 2003, 10:00 AM
Member/Contributer

8K3a+ died on boot!?

Can anyone explain this to me.
My system (see sig) had been working flawlessly for months. I had some misterious HDD corruption on two of my partitions but I solved that by formatting them a couple of times.

So yesterday I fitted my brand new Antec True Power 430W PSU that was highly recommended to me. So out went the cheapo Q-Tec 550W (285W really,read the small print!) PSU and in went the Antec. Plugged everything in, hit the power button and.....nothing! A slight hiss/fizzle, power LED came on then gradually went out, all of this was in a second or two. The fans didn't even spin up! Now the board is dead. No lights, no LED's nothing. I've taken it out of the case and tried it with the old Q-Tec and a generic 300W PSU that I know all work and still there is no life in it. So whats happened? The board is only about 8 months old.
Might I add that this board was running stock speeds and settings for the last 2 months. Previously I had it running at 9X166 and encountered the HDD corruption so went back to Optimized Settings.
Hopefully Epox Tech can shed some light.
Anyone suffered a similar fate?

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Lazgoat; 2nd April, 2003 at 10:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd April, 2003, 01:10 PM

Perhaps your new PSU is faulty
Old 2nd April, 2003, 09:58 PM

Did the new PSU have a voltage selector switch on the back of it set to the wrong position?
Old 2nd April, 2003, 11:42 PM

Dead Power

No doubt you have a power supply problem
Old 3rd April, 2003, 02:26 AM

You probably should have stuck with your Q-tec, I also use the Q-tec and I run a hell of allot more things and never had a problem, my volt rails are rock stable. I say only upgrade if your PSU is the bottleneck.
In the meantime check what your warrantie is like at the shop that you got your board from they might still RMA it, just don’t tell them that it broke because you put in a new PSU as they will blame you for the damage
Good Luck
Old 3rd April, 2003, 05:58 PM
Member/Contributer

The Q-Tec was ok, but became noisier with time and started rattling slightly.
The Antec came highly recommended so I thought I'd give it a shot. It worked fine on other boards I've setup for friends. Giving it another try tonight before RMA'ing the board in the morning.
Very puzzling.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th April, 2003, 12:00 PM

It's possible that the solder connection on the motherboard's ATX socket was damaged when you switched supplies.