AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th April, 2003, 05:10 AM

Angry 8K9A BIOS flash gone bad

This is a repost from overclockers.com boards, maybe you guys can help:

Quote:
I just flashed my bios to the newest posted on the epox site... I followed all the instructions and made sure my machine wasn't OCd at the time, used to be clocked like in my sig...

so i flashed the bios, everything looks fine.. I reboot and it hangs before it starts the memory test, I wasn't even able to "load optimized defaults" as the last step suggested...

so i opened the case to see whats up, took out my stick of ram to make sure its fine and put it back in..

booted up again, got into bios and loaded optimized defaults, saved and exited... machine rebooted and what do you know it again froze while saying "Memory Testi"

If i turn it off and back on, same thing happens... If I turn it off, wait 5 mins, turn it back on, I'm able to get in the bios and go through the options and everything but it won't load windows, it'll freeze with a black screen...

should I restore my old bios if I even can? whats going on with my rig?

UPDATE:
When attempting to boot from the floppy that I flashed the bios from (Boot disk) I get invalid system disk error messages... and at this point, sometimes when I reboot it doesn't even post...

could a bios flash have fried my cpu?!?!

another update:

I checked to make sure my CPU wasn't fried, it was't.. I think for some reason my bios chip died

where do I get another one?

yet another update:
It seems to me that the new bios caused my bios not to detect my file systems on anything.. i can't even set up windows on my hard drive again although it would format....

my options now are:
get a new bios chip somehow
OR
get a new motherboard

is it even worth it to bother with a new bios chip??
Now, I figured out a way to boot up with a boot CD to flash my bios again.. so I did and flashed it to the 3212 version... rebooted, and no post, this time I know I killed it...

What to do?

And just to make sure, which is the preferable way to reboot a PC after flashing the bios?
Old 4th April, 2003, 04:17 PM

I just found out how bad the Feb bios is and I think that's what made my board stop posting...

Will be ordering a new bios chip from www.badflash.com

anyone know if they take long?
Old 4th April, 2003, 06:01 PM

looks like I could have just repaired my winxp installation and all would have been fine.. when I get home I will try toying with the machine to at least get it to post, hopefully it will