AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2003, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Invalid

8RDA+ and Temps.

Hey every1,
I have a watercooling system on my PC, a damn fine one might i add (Eheim 1250 pump, DD Maze 3, Z-chipset waterblocks, Black Ice Extreme Rad, Tygon tubin)...i went all out ...and my temps idle on my board are 41*C!!! ..that cant be right...can it??...also at the minuite i use waterwetter as my addition to distilled water...but it stinks ...dont suppose u know if i can use antifreeze??...are the temps on the 8RDA+ far out...i have heard there wrong...but by how much

Thanks,

Ross
Old 16th April, 2003, 12:05 AM

M8 - I don't have any experience on water, but I had a XP2400 on a 8RDA+ that ran idle at about 45°c on air, so I'd say you are a little hot for water.
Epox 8RGA+ | XP2700+ | Gigabyte 9700 Pro | 2 x 256Mb Corsair XMS3500 | Antec True Blue 480w | WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache | Liteon 52x24x52 CD-R/RW | VideoLogic ZXR500 Speakers | SLK-900 | AOC LM720A 17" TFT |Win XP Pro /w SP1 | 3DMark 2001 16k.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2003, 01:17 AM

my full load temps , on my xp2000+ on air, b4 overclocking on 8rda+ using slk-800 and silentish fan, are...., well were...36'C - 38'C, are u using any thermal compound?
Old 16th April, 2003, 03:16 AM

Re: 8RDA+ and Temps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Invalid
Hey every1,
I have a watercooling system on my PC, a damn fine one might i add (Eheim 1250 pump, DD Maze 3, Z-chipset waterblocks, Black Ice Extreme Rad, Tygon tubin)...i went all out ...and my temps idle on my board are 41*C!!! ..that cant be right...can it??...also at the minuite i use waterwetter as my addition to distilled water...but it stinks ...dont suppose u know if i can use antifreeze??...are the temps on the 8RDA+ far out...i have heard there wrong...but by how much

Thanks,

Ross
That uh.... Is pretty damned hot I'd say. Especially with water cooling. Using a compunurse LCD temp monitor and attaching it to the side of my heatsink - my temps read like 32C idle @ 232FSB 2.2vdd. I enhanced my NB cooling by lapping the chip and heatsink and I used a 60mm Al cpu heatsink and 60mm fan with AS3 epoxy. Either your waterblock isnt contacting the chip that well, or your water is overheating (LOL!), or your room temp is like a steel mill factory in arizona in summer, try and see why it runs hot. Good luck. BTW, my heavily modded 8RDA+ died 4 days ago. RIP, 8RDA+..... Tried the 5v mod. It was stupid, just get a better PSU if your rails are low. The lappings, heatsink epoxing, vdimm mod, and vdd mod all went well - just that damn 5v mod slowly killed my mobo, damnit. So take it from me - Don't do it. *****ty 5v mod.... Hissss..... :devil:
Old 16th April, 2003, 10:30 AM

I have the same setup cooling wise other than i have a 1048 and my load temps never go above 38C. THis is with my silent papst on 5v (ie shifting no air!)

What voltages are you running through the chip?? And fsb (cos you have a z-chip).
Also how much water wetter did you use?? IIRC its only meant to be a few drops if you use more it will effect cooling negatively.
Anitfreeze is fine. I use halfords stuff in mine.

Try re-seating both blocks with a minute amount of AS3 and make sure they are nice and tight. Might want to lapp the nb too as theu can be concaved in the middle.
Old 16th April, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hello

Im using a Delta 80mm Fan on a FalconRock II .
My 2400+ is full load 30 and idle around 25 degrees.
I was using a Alpha PAL8045 with the Delta before but I have lost the screws , My Thunderbird 1333mhz was 20 degrees idle , that shows how warm T-bird accualy was!
I send a picture with this msg as you can see
Attached Thumbnails
8RDA+ and Temps.-cpu.jpg  
Old 16th April, 2003, 12:03 PM

i think im gonna cry...ive lapped my heatsink...my 41*C reading is at stock speads...I know my waterblock makes good contact as if i touch it its hot...im dooooooomed :-S
When i ran my old Swiftech mcx 462+ i had an idle of about 33*C stock!!!..im goin down hill...

Thanks

Ross
Old 16th April, 2003, 12:10 PM

/is the pump turned on? did u add water?.. as teh w/b should be getting hot..., and mastah what did u stick on your s/b?
Old 16th April, 2003, 12:42 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

HI Invalid
My systems similar but not quite the same. Using an XP1700 with 1.9Vcore and 100% load my cpu temp is read by MBM as 42C with no fans on the rad. System temp is about 27C just now, damn this fine weather.

I have no idea how accurate the temp monitoring is. All I can say is relative to the Alphapal 8045 the cpu seems to be running about 10/12 C cooler. If your temps have increased the chances are that something else may have changed, or the block may not be making good contact.
Old 16th April, 2003, 02:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
i think im gonna cry...ive lapped my heatsink...my 41*C reading is at stock speads...I know my waterblock makes good contact as if i touch it its hot...im dooooooomed :-S
If your waterblock is hot to the touch, then the heat is being transfered from the CPU to the waterblock just fine.

The coolant going into the block should be at a temperature below that of the block. The coolant coming out of the block should be close to the temperature of the block.

If the coolant going into the block is close to the temperature of the block, then you need to examine how your coolant loses it's heat!

The whole cooling system is driven by energy differences (AKA temperature differences). If there's little energy difference, then there's little energy transfer. The bigger the temperature difference between the coolant going into the block and the block, the more energy you can transfer into the coolant. The same goes for radiators!

Áedán
Old 16th April, 2003, 02:23 PM

hmm...it may infact be my pump...because i ordered all of my parts directly from www.dangerden.com , its all american (i live in the UK) so i had to buy a transformer to run the pump off. Im a little worried about the flow...it doesnt look very strong for a Ehiem 1250...i got a pic, see what u think...

Oh...and my reservoir broke so im using a bowl till the fish tank arrives

Last edited by Invalid; 16th April, 2003 at 10:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2003, 02:24 PM

didnt quite expect the pic to be that large :P
Old 16th April, 2003, 02:37 PM

I dont have a thermometer...but i can tell that the coolent in the reservoir is almost the exact temperature of the coolent coming out of the block...and thw water is cool to the touch...

Ross
Old 16th April, 2003, 03:13 PM

nice good old tygon tubing.. but isn't it just about to pop off that connector that i can se in the pic.. maybe you should buy a different pump, cos if your using us... then u can get rid of the transformer, and it should work, lol
. but that pic shows that water is flowing..

:edit: u got any spare tygon tubing? , and also do u mind resizing the pic.. it's a little big.
Old 16th April, 2003, 04:35 PM

Quote:
When i ran my old Swiftech mcx 462+ i had an idle of about 33*C stock!!!..im goin down hill...

Thanks

Ross
You lapped your MCX462+? Why? No need to... it's already lapped. Specs show its about .003 flat. I believe that, mine looks pretty damn flat
Old 16th April, 2003, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris`I
I have the same setup cooling wise other than i have a 1048 and my load temps never go above 38C. THis is with my silent papst on 5v (ie shifting no air!)

What voltages are you running through the chip?? And fsb (cos you have a z-chip).
Also how much water wetter did you use?? IIRC its only meant to be a few drops if you use more it will effect cooling negatively.
Anitfreeze is fine. I use halfords stuff in mine.

Try re-seating both blocks with a minute amount of AS3 and make sure they are nice and tight. Might want to lapp the nb too as theu can be concaved in the middle.
Uh, I think you replied to the wrong person.
Old 16th April, 2003, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ||G||
but isn't it just about to pop off that connector that i can se in the pic.. maybe you should buy a different pump, cos if your using us... then u can get rid of the transformer, and it should work, lol
. but that pic shows that water is flowing..
yea lol...i am a little worried about that connetor...but it doesnt matter now as i just fried my motherboard ...as for the water flowing...its not as much as i expected as its rated at 317GPH...doesnt look like it would do that ...i think ill just remove the PIC as i cant be bothered to resize it

Thanks

Ross:beer: