AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 7th December, 2001, 11:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

dividers

There is much debate as to whether or not the board supports or is capable of 1/5 1/6 etc, dividers. I personally after reading all that has been said and the input from the Epox rep, feel it is clear the board does support these dividers. The real issue is at what points? We are all concerned as to the final bus speed that our PCI and IDE devices are running at.
Isn't there some fullproof way to run a test on the PCI bus or a diagnositic utility which will tell you the PCI bus speed for any given system bus speed setting? Seems to me this would put the issue to bed once and for all. Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 11:02 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by patto

If these dividers are working, which im 99.9% sure they are then ALL graphics cards and hard drives will work at speeds of a FSB of 200MHz. Since 200/6=33MHz then if the 1/6 divider works then it should be fine.

However to run at a FSB of 200MHz you need a good PSU. Also your running the chipset out of spec, but in our experiences the KT266A can cope with 200MHz.
I did ask the question to take the proverbial - you bit with the answer everyone expected from you ! You are quite predictable, and you can probably guess in what way that's meant.

You can flame me by e-mail if you want by using the the contact form on my web-site, just remember that it logs IP addresses.

http://www.wildandyc.co.uk
Old 8th December, 2001, 03:20 PM

Re: dividers

Quote:
Originally posted by thehandler
There is much debate as to whether or not the board supports or is capable of 1/5 1/6 etc, dividers. I personally after reading all that has been said and the input from the Epox rep, feel it is clear the board does support these dividers. The real issue is at what points? We are all concerned as to the final bus speed that our PCI and IDE devices are running at.
Isn't there some fullproof way to run a test on the PCI bus or a diagnositic utility which will tell you the PCI bus speed for any given system bus speed setting? Seems to me this would put the issue to bed once and for all. Mike
Yes there is some fool proof way. It's callled an occiliascope (or something like that) i believe Brad conducted the test @ 166mhz and found that the PCI bus was 33MHz.

But everybody for some reason doubts his results.
Old 8th December, 2001, 05:55 PM

Guys can you all not accept and be happy be your FSB speeds that this board (8KHA+) is capable of doing. I can say that I dont care if this board supports PCI dividers 1/5 and 1/6. I am just delighted about the performance and FSB speeds this motherboard can achieve. I see this debate on dividers disputed on several forums across the web and what I have read is that nobody has come to any conclusion.

My opinion is once my motherboard is stable, high performer and capable of high FSB speeds I am an satisified Epox customer...

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 06:11 PM
EPoX Tech

Re: Re: dividers

Quote:
Originally posted by patto

Yes there is some fool proof way. It's callled an occiliascope (or something like that) i believe Brad conducted the test @ 166mhz and found that the PCI bus was 33MHz.

But everybody for some reason doubts his results.
An oscilloscope would measure the oscillation of a particular leg of the PLL, not necesarily the oscillation of the systems PCI BUS or AGP bus which would have to be measured at trace level since the component you need to measure is a BGA mount and not a conventoinal legged IC mount.