AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th December, 2001, 03:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Exclamation reboot under extreme stress?

when ever i have my sys overclocked or just tweeked out @ under extreme stress, it just reboots as if i had hit the reset button. im not sure exactly what bios setting(s) cause it to do this. anyone elese evere expenenced this?

ps: by extreem stress i meen rendering 3d imiges, not fah.
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 03:37 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

When oc'ing to the hilt in win98 it never happened. It would lock up. In dual boot, with win2k, the same settings causing a lock up caused a spontaneous reboot in win2k. I was pushing my PSU to the limit as well it turned out. For some reason, Win2k managed to suck up more power I guess. Getting a better PSU made all the difference for me.

I guess if you have a vid card that sucks up a lot of power, and your PSU is fully taxed, it could happen.
Old 8th December, 2001, 10:50 AM
EPoX Tech

Guys - do please update to the latest BIOS that I uploaded to the server. I believe it to be superior in that respect.

I note from your signature that you include the letter on the sticker of your BIOS chip Fireball87 - please note that this completely irrelevant contrary to what anyone in any forum or article anywhere states. Please all take note !!

Wether it be K,L,M,N or pink with yellow spots it is still the same chip family underneath which will flash with the EON29F002/NT gang program.
Old 8th December, 2001, 10:52 AM
EPoX Tech

BTW - its the 8KHAL00.bin BIOS !!!
Old 8th December, 2001, 11:43 AM

fireball_87

Quote:
when ever i have my sys overclocked or just tweeked out @ under extreme stress, it just reboots as if i had hit the reset button. im not sure exactly what bios setting(s) cause it to do this. anyone elese evere expenenced this?
Yes I too have experienced random rebooting when I run intensive apps, for example I was playing MAX PAYNE the other night and after 40minutes my screen went black and rebooted by itself. However I have previously flashed my bios to the lastest revision and tweaked my system for max performance and it now seems fine.....

Paul.K

PS I am running a dual boot (Win98 & WinXP pro) and i reckon its not a PSU issue as I am running my system on an Sparkle 400Watt power supply...
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th December, 2001, 01:41 PM
EPoX Tech

I'll second that - I've not used 8KHA+ as a home machine but I've been on this since 6am and its now 12:30 at 169MHz HOST and MEM Clock using turbo timings, CAS2 and 4 way interleave - not crashed in the slightest after playing games for hours and doing some media manipulation to send to my folks up north (video compression for e-mail).

You still gotta e-mail me about your BIOS Paul !!
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Paul,
I didn't mean to suggest the dual boot caused the reboot. It helped me notice that win2k and win98 seems to behave a little differently when my system was under duress. Also, the under powered PSU was mentioned only as one possible cause. . With Epox boards especially, PSUs shouldn't be ruled out.
Old 8th December, 2001, 02:29 PM

SteveI I was not suggesting the problem with rebooting was related to dual boots I was merely providing information to the post. I also reckon it is not a PSU issue. However from my research on the CS 5301 chip an over current could trigger the overcurrent protection on this chip when volt modified. My Vcore at this present time is 2.1volts. Eventhough I have an 5 resistor modified CS5301 chip an current spike could be the cause of our problems.......

Paul.K

PS I'm going to e-mail you now (Epox Tech) Thanks M8!!!
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Old 8th December, 2001, 05:55 PM

ok, thx for all the help looks like im off to AMA to get a 400w psu & flash my bios(if i can fina a working floppy drive lol)

ps: can i flash it from a 5 1/4 floppy?
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 8th December, 2001, 06:35 PM
EPoX Tech

You can flash it from a 5 1/4" drive no problem so long as you are confident of its reliability.
Old 8th December, 2001, 07:03 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Guys - do please update to the latest BIOS that I uploaded to the server. I believe it to be superior in that respect.

I note from your signature that you include the letter on the sticker of your BIOS chip Fireball87 - please note that this completely irrelevant contrary to what anyone in any forum or article anywhere states. Please all take note !!

Wether it be K,L,M,N or pink with yellow spots it is still the same chip family underneath which will flash with the EON29F002/NT gang program.
It is on the AOA Files server under CPU Apps-Epox Files-8KHA Plus BIOS for all you looking for it. And great download times!

EDIT: You know what? This is getting crazy. I think I'll make a search engine so that people can find stuff easier. Even I didn't know where I put the file at first!

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?

Last edited by Superman; 8th December, 2001 at 07:08 PM.
Old 8th December, 2001, 07:30 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
ps: can i flash it from a 5 1/4 floppy?
Cool!! I haven't used or seen one of those in like 10 years.
It won't be long before 5 1/4 floppy will mean a CDRW disk.
Old 8th December, 2001, 09:38 PM
EPoX Tech

It's funny you should say that - I've got the Sony double density CDRW (1.3Gb per CD) here and I see it as a useless advance but also a useful reminder of the fact that personal re-writable optical mass storage is becoming cheap, and available. DVD-RW is affordable but the only thing holding it back is perhaps the price of the media.

Back to the point though, I've just flashed an eeprom in a socket 7 board (EP-MVP3C2) with a 1.2Mb floppy in a 5 1/4" drive first attempt. It was just as smooth as a 3 1/2" with no discernable moments that gave me a shudder.

The fear I do have with a lot of 5 1/4" drives is that they may not be compatible with the modern I/O controllers in todays mainboard chipset configs. The fact I don't even have a floppy connector on my 8KHA+ (only one dimm slot too ) stops me from trying that drive on this board.

You guys get all of the luxuries by buying them
Old 8th December, 2001, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Back to the point though, I've just flashed an eeprom in a socket 7 board (EP-MVP3C2) with a 1.2Mb floppy in a 5 1/4" drive first attempt. It was just as smooth as a 3 1/2" with no discernable moments that gave me a shudder.
[/B]
hay! i used to have one of thoes bords :-D(first home built comp :-D) unfortunitaly, i busted it whin i was transfering it from my comp to my frenids(chiped off one of the litle chips by the north bridge. the wierdst thing was that if i put my finger where it used to be it would work! if i took my finger off it would pause, but when i put my finger back on it would keep going as if nothing ever happend! lol. ofcorse eventualty it just stoped working altougher lol) the buest thing abut that bord was its jumper layout :-D
Attached Thumbnails
reboot under extreme stress?-dead.jpg  
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Last edited by fireball_87; 8th December, 2001 at 10:23 PM.
Old 9th December, 2001, 12:47 AM
EPoX Tech

I'll have a look into how to fix that for you, but do get rid of that N+ BIOS from your signature !!! It means nothing contrary to what those not in the know say in other forums.
Old 9th December, 2001, 04:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I had problems with my system doing that when either my psu was inadequate or my core vlotage was to low.
Old 9th December, 2001, 09:56 AM
EPoX Tech

Because of the advent of high frequency low current CPU's, people will soon realise the need for a good motherboard that requires a good PSU.

Generic or cheap will soon not cut the ice as all mainboards move into multiphase arrangements (we've had multi-phase since 8KTA3) and make PSU load demand far greater.
Old 9th December, 2001, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Because of the advent of high frequency low current CPU's, people will soon realise the need for a good motherboard that requires a good PSU.

Generic or cheap will soon not cut the ice as all mainboards move into multiphase arrangements (we've had multi-phase since 8KTA3) and make PSU load demand far greater.
What exactly is the advantage of a multiphase system ?

It (or rather poor PSU's) seem to be causing some people trouble.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 9th December, 2001, 03:48 PM
EPoX Tech

Due to the fact that CPU's are becoming less power consumptive (Athlon XP1900+ runs at 1.6Ghz and although based on a 0.18 micron the same as Athlon Thunderbird 1400, actually consumes less power) but operate at greater frequencies, there is a need now for motherboards which can supply a stable switch phase of low current at high frequency.

Generic two phase solutions are losing the ability to do this, and as such people are following EPoX's lead in the mainstream and beginning to employ 3 and even 4 phase solutions. Iwill and Shuttle are manufacturers that I know are making good use of the 3 phase solution already.

It is more expensive to implement, and does need a good PSU to operate, but I have proven to myself and others in laboratory situations the far enhanced long terms system stability that can be gained whilst employing such a system.
Old 9th December, 2001, 08:39 PM

Thanks allot Epox Tech, i thought it was something along those lines.

Ive now got something to quote back to people who say that epox have made things worse by including multiphase power.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.