AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th April, 2003, 03:05 PM

Post Requests for an Epox Board, and maybe a sound card too!!!

Epox Tech,
I'm not sure how much pull you have, but I would like to request the following components.

Please talk to the Epox designers and see if they will make the following.
Epox board with the Nforce 3 (150 series) chipset (9RDA would be a good name). Maybe throw in a Serial ATA chip (since Serial ATA raid will not be offered on the 150 series, which is in production now).

Now one of the things like you would really really need to talk to the engineers about is seeing if Nvidia would produce a sound card chip that has Soundstorm APU (Audio Processing Unit) and maybe Firewire support (this would be a great competitor for the Audigy from Creative).

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing an Epox produced NV35 video card either.

That would round out a perfect workstation.
Epox motherboard with Nforce 3 chipset
Epox sound card with Nvidia Sound Storm audio chip
Epox vid card with the Geforce FX 6800 Ultra (NV35)
AMD Opteron 148 (2Ghz Single processor Opteron)
Prometeia, or Vapochill Cooling (should be good for 2.5 to 3Ghz)
Dual sticks of ECC PC3200 (This should be offered within the near future)

Yeah a 3Ghz Operton and Win XP SP2 should make for an awsome system. Hopefully XP SP2 will have the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for AMD64. Nvidia already has got a single driver package ready (from what previews of the Nforce 3 show). Although PCI-X support would be nice (but that would fall on Nvidia to redesign the chip...which would take to long).

Worst case is an Operton/Mandrake 9 or Susie 9 combination with a copy of Swine (Windows emulator). That should allow for all games to be played...

So please talk to your engineers and Nvidia's people if possible.
Because a powerhouse workstation is what people want (or at least thats what I want).
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2003, 07:48 PM

dont think thats possible, also the nforce3 has SATA already and sound all in one chip and RAID control too if im not mistaken..

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2003, 09:49 PM

he dont want much...
Old 30th April, 2003, 05:01 PM

MigGinz...

Nforce 3 150 chip (single chip solution) does not have Serial ATA, and only has ac97 software sound (meaning its going to need a sound card or it will eat up cpu utilization).

Nforce 3 250 chip (single chip solution) will not be out until Q3. This chip will have Serial ATA, Raid 0, 1, & 0+1, and firewire built into the chip. But it only comes with ac97 sound as well.

Nvidia is already producing the 150 chip, As*s is the premier partner (yeah Like I'll by an As*s board).

Nvidia redesigned the Crush K8 to work with the Opteron in a workstation environment (meaning we may see some dual processor Opteron boards come out from a manufactorer that uses the Nforce 3 chip).

Nforce 3 is a version of the Crush K8 that was shown last year (at places like Cebit, and E3). It was originally intended for the Athlon64.
With AMD delaying the release of the Athlon64 to Q3 (and some speculation is may end up being delayed until Q1 of 04). Nvidia stepped up to the plate to offer something that is wanted by alot of professionals that want to experience the performance that the Hammer will bring. A Single or Dual processor workstation chip (as it is a single chip and not a NB/SB combo) that offers 64bit x86 (its new, and the only OS that is out of the box ready for it is Linux...That is Optimized for it).

So what I asked was not mistaken or misleading.
Serial ATA Raid via the SiliconImage chip that is in use by Epox on the 8RDA3+ along with the Nforce 150 chip should produce a very good motherboard (but you would still need sound).
That is why I am wondering if Nvidia is thinking about offering the SoundStorm APU in a PCI card flavor. Because I definitely do not want to go back to Creative and their BS ways (having to send them 10 bucks to get the latest drivers for a card is bull*****).

Clockedout... Yeah I don't want alot... Just the best, nothing else will do!
Old 30th April, 2003, 06:00 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bring the Noise
Nforce 3 150 chip (single chip solution) does not have Serial ATA, and only has ac97 software sound (meaning its going to need a sound card or it will eat up cpu utilization).
So, the nForce3 has an AC97 port. That's odd, even the nForce2 MCP-T uses AC97. AC97 only covers the interface between the audio controller and the CODEC chip, as well as the register layout on the CODEC chip. The audio controller itself isn't covered by AC97.

It's also aimed at workstations, which is a completely different market to the enthusiast/home. If you need an audio workstation, you can be sure that the nForce2's APU won't be up to the task. Forget things like the SB Audigy, they're not really players in that market either (Much though Creative claims they are).

Incidently, it'll need more than a HAL to make XP 64bit compliant. 64bit applications need native 64bit DLLs, as a 32bit DLL cannot handle the address space or pointer size that a 64bit app would use. The converse is less true, but would still cause serious performance issues converting pointers between 32 and 64bits.

Hence, you'd need a complete new OS, consisting of a 64bit core, and something like a 32bit WOW (Windows on Windows) module to handle the 32bit applications. This is similar to how the current NT/2K/XP line handle 16 bit applications.

Áedán

Last edited by Áedán; 30th April, 2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 30th April, 2003, 06:12 PM

True about the Windows stuff... Damn Shame MS isn't ready.

Yes, you are right about the nforce 3 being designed as a workstation chipset (and workstations rarely need sound to do Cad/Cam drawing or 3D Studiomax renderings).

Some interesting things have poped up over the last couple of days from the British Journalists...

Since these stories also coincide with my request I will put them in... If the Moderators do not want me to link to the Inquirer's website then please remove the links...

Anyhow..
This one is about AMD's workstation chipset and maybe some internal conflicts at AMD about how to marker the Opteron.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8927

This one is about how the Athlon64 may never see the light of day (but its still just a Conspiracy theory)
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9249

If the above reports are true, then Epox could be one of the first on the market (which is usually a good thing cause if your first to a market with a good product you sell your product while your competition get's theirs ready for production/deployment).

Did I mention that I want one... (yeah that should probably be stamped into the back of your mind by now!)
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's