AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2001, 08:05 PM

8K7A beta bios ?

I read this in another forum "8K7A has a new beta bios '8k7a1b25' ". Is this for real ? Does it also work for the + an where to find it ?
Old 11th December, 2001, 08:09 PM

Sorry about post found it in download files using search. Should have searched first.

Running the bios now still at 170fsb with no problems. Mem bench mark the same as old bios 800/1033. 3Dmark 2001 give me 10 more points. Anything would help my 3Dmark scores.

Last edited by WinXP; 11th December, 2001 at 09:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 02:10 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by WinXP
Sorry about post found it in download files using search. Should have searched first.

Running the bios now still at 170fsb with no problems. Mem bench mark the same as old bios 800/1033. 3Dmark 2001 give me 10 more points. Anything would help my 3Dmark scores.
Glad you found the Download Files section to be of help! I'm not so sure that any kind of drivers or BIOSes are going to increase your score that much. Most of the time new drivers or BIOSes are issued to combat stablility or feature issues.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th December, 2001, 02:46 AM

Yea,I didn't expect much of increase from new bios with 3D marks. When I start overclocking the video card that will help 3d marks, I just run it at default. Stability with my 8K7A+ is perfect with any of the bios's I have tried, it is the best mobo I have ever owned.
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:15 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Yea,I didn't expect much of increase from new bios with 3D marks. When I start overclocking the video card that will help 3d marks, I just run it at default. Stability with my 8K7A+ is perfect with any of the bios's I have tried, it is the best mobo I have ever owned.
I like Epox too. I'm promising myself that I will buy the 8KHA2 as soon as it comes out (by that time there will be at least 3 reviews about it). Then I'll get a 1700+ (2000+ should be out by then, and the 1700+ should be under $130) and some Crucial DDR (ouch! High prices) and I'll be set.

As for overclocking, that's the ticket! That will increase 3dMarks. Although I most certinely care very little about 3dMarks.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:35 AM

I may look into the 8KHA2 when it comes out. Didn't want to wait any longer for a new toy so I bought the + at a good price an have a HPT raid pci controller to put in it. I don't use raid but the hardrive seem to work faster an smoother with the raid ports over the ide ports. I have 2-20 gig matched hardrives to try it , but just never have done it yet. You should go buy best buy an get some Crucial now. It is only 35.00 with a 10.00 mail in rebate, cheaper than buying from Crucial. If I didn't have enough I would be down there. I have 3- 256 meg sticks of it right now an 1- 256 meg Corsair PC2400 an all have run in this mobo at 170fsb seperately.
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:39 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
I may look into the 8KHA2 when it comes out. Didn't want to wait any longer for a new toy so I bought the + at a good price an have a HPT raid pci controller to put in it. I don't use raid but the hardrive seem to work faster an smoother with the raid ports over the ide ports. I have 2-20 gig matched hardrives to try it , but just never have done it yet. You should go buy best buy an get some Crucial now. It is only 35.00 with a 10.00 mail in rebate, cheaper than buying from Crucial. If I didn't have enough I would be down there. I have 3- 256 meg sticks of it right now an 1- 256 meg Corsair PC2400 an all have run in this mobo at 170fsb seperately.
You have to understand, I'm one of the most hesitant people in the world. Not with most things, but with money, yes. I won't buy anything without researching everything there is to know about it. So I can't just go out and buy memory without an immediate use for it, I'm too "frugal"

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:43 AM

WinXP,

How did you get it stable at 170? I am interested as I have a 8K7A with the beta bios. I would like to run higher but am unable to maintain stabililty. I too am running 2K but am using 2 256 sticks of ram. Should I drop a stick and try again? LMK what timings you are using and such, okay!
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:47 AM

My wife is frugal, I am not. I am almost as old as dirt, have few bills so my toy I like. I have computer misc. evrywhere, I like to try out different stuff. If I like it I use it ,if not it goes in the pile with other stuff to be traded or sold. Or upgrade my son's computer, he can't afford to buy them in the Marines.
Old 12th December, 2001, 04:50 AM

cpufast
I use 1 stick or memory, ddr 2.9v. My chip will run faster than 1700 so you may have to lower your top end overclock to run higher fsb. Try it at 160 fsb then raising it . Mem timming 8882622
Old 12th December, 2001, 02:34 PM

Win XP,

I did as advised and removed the Apacer DDR, set the memory timings, lowered the multiplier to 10 and was able to reach 166 = 1660. I am not sure about the PCI divider as it was still showing 1/4 in Sandra Pro. I now have to decide which route I want to leave it at and go forth. Thanks Again!
Old 12th December, 2001, 06:37 PM

There is no other pci dividers for this mobo but 1/3 an 1/4. Just run as high a fsb as you can with stability. Glad I could have help some.
Old 12th December, 2001, 10:56 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
There is no other pci dividers for this mobo but 1/3 an 1/4. Just run as high a fsb as you can with stability. Glad I could have help some.
Hmmm, I wouldn't nesessarily say that. Sandra just guesses, doesn't really tell you what the PCI divider is. I'm not sure either way. All I know is that in this case, the how is more important then the why.

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 13th December, 2001, 03:35 AM

So you are saying there might be a 1/5 divider for this mobo ? I have heard that is only rumors an denied by Epox that it is there. So I am not going ask the Epox tech about it case it really doesn't matter to me if it has or not. I was satisfied running a 170 fsb with no stability issues.

Now running a new 8KHA+ I just insatlled about 2hrs ago an have Win 2000 loaded an starting to reload all the software. It has a couple of issues but runs.
Old 13th December, 2001, 04:14 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
So you are saying there might be a 1/5 divider for this mobo ? I have heard that is only rumors an denied by Epox that it is there. So I am not going ask the Epox tech about it case it really doesn't matter to me if it has or not. I was satisfied running a 170 fsb with no stability issues.

Now running a new 8KHA+ I just insatlled about 2hrs ago an have Win 2000 loaded an starting to reload all the software. It has a couple of issues but runs.
I'm not saying either way because I don't know. I'm just saying that there is no proof either way. Just wanted to point out the Sandra thing really. And good luck with the new system. BTW, you folding for AOA?

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 13th December, 2001, 06:22 AM
EPoX Tech

All of this divider talk is getting quite a bit irritating ! I think we should stop worrying and address the issue of if it works at 180MHz, 190MHz or 200MHz Host Clock, fine, if not tough. Period.
Old 15th December, 2001, 03:07 PM

Win XP,

Did a couple more things. First switched OS's from 2K to 98SE due to driver signing. Loaded the beta for 98 for my card. dropped the multiplier to 9.5 for my XP1800 and set the bus at 170. It is stable and really cranks some FPS. I am getting 9400+ in 3dMarks 2001. So far so good! Have played UT without any page faults or BSOD. I also increased my PCI latency to 44. Figured I'd share this with you as you and the others here really helped make it happen!
Old 15th December, 2001, 05:52 PM

Nice job with the fsb cpufast .
Old 16th December, 2001, 08:08 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by cpufast
Win XP,

Did a couple more things. First switched OS's from 2K to 98SE due to driver signing. Loaded the beta for 98 for my card. dropped the multiplier to 9.5 for my XP1800 and set the bus at 170. It is stable and really cranks some FPS. I am getting 9400+ in 3dMarks 2001. So far so good! Have played UT without any page faults or BSOD. I also increased my PCI latency to 44. Figured I'd share this with you as you and the others here really helped make it happen!
A real overclocker !!! This I like to see. Can you put a link to the Online result browser compare for your 3DMark2001 project so I can compare to my diddy GeForce 2GTS project. I may be able to give you some pointers on BIOS settings.
Old 16th December, 2001, 09:47 PM

Epox Tech,

Well at the moment it doesn't want to boot. Trying to determine the cause. The only difference in the system is that I put a PCI USB card in because I lost my USB support? I think this is not uncommon at this bus speed and the 686B southbridge. Any suggestions? It could also be my HD I am going to investigate it and will advise. I get the windows protection error after it loads through DOS. If and once I get things in order I will post some results so you can check it out. Any bios settings you can share would be great. I am using the stick of Corasair and have bumped the PCI latency up a little more. Still no go @170.

LMK