AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2003, 08:25 PM

Is anyone getting 1700+'s that DON'T O/C well? I am!

Well I got a DUT3C 0302 back in late march, and it won't do over 1.8GHz stable. Then I had a friend who wanted to buy a 1700+ and run it stock, so I sold him mine and got an 0310 DLT3C XMPW. Can't go over 1.5GHz stable. I have a Swiftech MCX462+ with a Panaflo H1A 92mm fan, an Epox 8RDA+ with active NB and passive SB cooling running at 200MHz FSB. My CPU runs at 38C under load and 35C idle and my system temps are 30C load and 28C idle. I don't think cooling is a problem.

The strangest part is, with this new proc, it boots as high as 2.4GHZ, but it's totally unstable. I can run 1.5GHz (7.5 x 200) all day long at 1.575V, but I can't run one ounce higher. Not only that, but running 1.6GHz, while unstable, is more stable at 1.55V than it is at 1.6, 1.7, or even 1.8V. I know the RAM is good because I ran memtest all day at 200MHz and it came out just fine - it's Corsair's XMS after all.

Last night, I tried moving things up again. I just decided that maybe the proc needed more time to adjust. Well, in order to make a long story short, I made it to 9x solid as a rock. However, when I tried 9.5x things got weird. After I set this multi, the computer restarts and my motherboard says, "Instability caused due to faulty (something, I don't remember) or processor overclocking. Please reduce CPU speed (or something, blah, blah). Press F1 to continue or (something else)." That's strange. So I hit F1 and it went past the post screen and to my SCSI card initialization and I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart it. I upped the voltage by .25V (I'm at 1.6V at this point) and restarted. No post. Mobo started beeping. I had to restart holding down Insert to get it to POST so that I could lower the voltage and lower the multi back down one.

What's the deal?! I ran 3DMark w/ Prime95 all night and I'm rock solid at 1.8GHz now at 1.575Vcore. Why did it suddenly decide to go up and will I be able to go up more? Does anyone know anything about the Epox beeping?
Old 29th May, 2003, 08:44 PM

Is this an A1/C1 (Crush 18D) northbridge stepping? If you are using an older A2/A3 northbridge it's not rated for 200MHz FSB so you are probably pushing it pretty hard if I had to guess.

The higher the CPU clock, the more stress you put on your FSB even if you don't change your FSB speeds at all. Have you tried lower FSB and higher multi to see if it is stable at ~2.2-2.3GHz?

Also, the DLT3C hate too much voltage. Too much voltage can cause instabilities even without heat problems. I can do 2GHz at stock voltage, if you're giving it too much juice when it doesn't need it this may also contribute to the instabilities.

Also, you might want to put some heatsinks on the MOSFETs and the vdd chip, because they get REAL hot and can certainly cause some issues at high FSB/CPU speeds.
Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ DDR444 2-3-3-7
World Web Chat | Web Design
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:09 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds like a PSU problem... Remember, at lower speeds, your CPU isn't sucking up as much power, as you ramp up, the CPU is taking more and more.... sounds like your PSU is not up to the task.
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:17 PM

Yes, it's an A1/C1 stepping (not only did I see it with my eyes, but the new BIOS also displays nForce 400 Ultra ready when it POSTs). I have active cooling on the NB, but I refuse to put any type of cooling on the Mosfets. It's too much work. Plus, only about 5 - 10% of all overclockers use mosfet cooling and almost everyone is getting better results than me.

I'll try lowering the voltage tonight, but I can't imagine that would help. I'll also try lowering the FSB. That may do the trick.

Do you know what causes that beep that I got from the motherboard?
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Sounds like a PSU problem... Remember, at lower speeds, your CPU isn't sucking up as much power, as you ramp up, the CPU is taking more and more.... sounds like your PSU is not up to the task.
I have an Enermax 435W PSU. I can't imagine that it's the problem. Is there some way to check the voltage that it's putting out? What variations are acceptable?
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:29 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I know a lot of people who swear by Enermax...
I just can't say the same thing tho... My experience has been they are woeful on the 5v line, which unfortunately the rda+ draws the power for the CPU.

I have a 1700+ 0310 XPMW... it does 2.26ghz... and I think that is underachieving.

edit: acceptable readings are very tough, since SW readings are not very accurate... However, if you have a lot of fluctuation in your 5v line, or it is below 4.75v I'd be concerned. Also, fluctuation in the CPU voltage is not good for stability either.

Last edited by SteveI; 29th May, 2003 at 09:31 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2003, 09:45 PM

I had an awful time with the newest BIOS. I'm still using the march 05 (IIRC) version. Actually I just checked EPoX and it appears they don't have ANY of the newer BIOS rev's on their site?? The newest one I can see is 1/17/03 which is older than what my mobo shipped with...

MOSFET sinks can help stabilize voltages, and yes, they do get seriously hot. A lot of the 'hardcore' OC'ers who don't use MOSFET sinks have their mobos sitting out on a workbench with W/C or what have you. It's the stuffy cases without supreme airflow that are to worry about. Is this your problem though? I doubt it, but it can only help.
Old 29th May, 2003, 10:09 PM

gee, every axp i've bought this year does 2.0 ghz no problem.

all bought from newegg. mosr of them are the b0 core.

my one and only ^A^ core that i haven't been able to peddle does 160*12.5 stable on a kt266a mobo. an unmodded abit kr7a.

Last edited by transcend; 29th May, 2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 29th May, 2003, 10:21 PM

dude, ilmater, check your vcard. it's possible that the oc on your board/bios doesn't have agp bus locking and possibly, this is giving you instability.

i would max the vcore and start the testing at 150x12. ideally, 160x12.5 seems right for that chip, but make sure your memory can handle the ups (and if you have a great stick, pump up the fsb primarily)
Old 29th May, 2003, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by transcend
dude, ilmater, check your vcard. it's possible that the oc on your board/bios doesn't have agp bus locking and possibly, this is giving you instability.

i would max the vcore and start the testing at 150x12. ideally, 160x12.5 seems right for that chip, but make sure your memory can handle the ups (and if you have a great stick, pump up the fsb primarily)
I have an Epox 8RDA+, and it has a locked AGP bus (I locked it manually).
Old 29th May, 2003, 10:33 PM

Also, just to be clear, I also have GREAT case cooling. I spent a lot of time and money on it, and I'm sure it's OK. Not only do I have a 92mm fan on my CPU that would spill some air onto the mosfets, but I also have a 92mm side panel fan blowing air in.
Old 29th May, 2003, 10:57 PM

ok, i read all your posts a bit closer.

your board is an excellent ocers board and can go over 2.5 ghz with the right components, easily. you know that though.

your psu is awesome as well.

Your bios probably isn't the culprit, and i'm sure you've triple checked it.

it cant be the ram since it takes you to 200 fsb x 2 (at some pathetically low multiplier), stable.

a 92 mm SIDE fan is about as good as it gets for air cooling without wind tunneling. and a 92mm cpu fan is practically unheard of. your whole northbridge should be chilling, literally.

sounds like some scumbag pretested your cpu and sold you one from his crappy lot. I would think twice before buying from that vendor, and try another cpu. You may want to have an american friend buy you one from the us and send it to you. All the ones here fly. I have bought 10 personally, over the past 6 months, all 1700's, all oc to 2.0 g no problems. my topps is 2.42 stable, a xpmw, jiuhb.

I crack for generalized fermat prime numbers, mersenne primes and rc64-5 decryption. no protein folds. math over science, for me.
Old 29th May, 2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by transcend
Your bios probably isn't the culprit, and i'm sure you've triple checked it.
Just for the record, I've got the exact same mobo... flashed the newest BIOS and I couldn't boot over 200FSB. Couldn't hit 2GHz stable. Reflashed the original BIOS and I'm now back to 10.5x222 (2.3GHz).

IMHO running 200FSB with a tiny multiplier is NOT putting as much stress on RAM or NB as 200FSB with a higher multi. I can run my FSB to 230MHz stable with a low multi, I can also run 2.4GHz rock stable with FSB 190 but I CAN'T do 230x10. If you're running some tiny multi, the CPU is barely able to process any data, so it's feeding and receiving MUCH slower than it should be, which in turn puts a lot less stress on the NB AND RAM. It's like running your memory up to DDR480 with some weak-arse FSB in asynch and calling it stable. It's not really stable at full load DDR480, because the FSB can't take advantage of the additional bandwidth. This is the same reason DC gives such marginal benefit with high speed RAM.

Just something to consider.
Old 30th May, 2003, 12:06 AM

My 1.5v JIUHB seems to max at 2210/1.74v, any higher and it's not stable, regaurdless of votlage (tried all the way up to 1.9v and 2300 is a no go).

But your limitation might be something else, seems kinda strange...
Old 30th May, 2003, 03:22 AM

Quote:
If you are using an older A2/A3 northbridge it's not rated for 200MHz FSB
Hey, all SPP-128's have been 400mhz chips since their conception. Don't misinterpret that the NB version is the determining factor when it comes to overclocking. Actually it's the main board that determines a successful 400+ fsb.

The only differences between the A2-A3 and A1 is the all black core surround and autodetect 400mhz cpu's by hardware.

The rest of the story is that most 8RDA main boards were silkscreened and assembled as 333mhz fsb main boards back around September of '02, and loaded with 333fsb rated components. This means if you can't do 400mhz fsb on yours, it's your main board thats holding you back, not the NB...or maybe your'e just using a Duron with PC1600 memory.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 30th May, 2003, 04:00 AM

Thanks for taking the time to explain bETAbILLY. I haven't really paid much attention to the chip until I picked up this 8rda+. I do know that the 8rda with A2/A3 stepping don't hit 200 as easy as this board though. Do you know if any of the older revisions shipped on the rev1.1 board, and if this affected overclocking ability?
Old 30th May, 2003, 07:55 AM

lets take another look at the situation. 2 1700+'s that won't overclock in a row? nobody can be that unlucky so im putting my money on the culprit not being your new cpu. what sort of computer does your friend have (the one you sold our old 1700 to) maybe you can put your cpu in his system and see what it can do?
ATI 9800Pro @ 420/760
lots of hard drives on highpoint RocketRAID 404 (some in raid...some not)
Old 30th May, 2003, 12:47 PM

Try the 3305 bios, it seems to be the best for overclocking.

Tekime.... mny board used A2 northbridge the oldes one and im at 3gig... so you wont get any OC drop from the old northbridges just more difficulty hitting high FSB.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 30th May, 2003, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Try the 3305 bios, it seems to be the best for overclocking.
I'll give that a shot. Another thing I've been concerned with is my power supply. Some have suggested that it might not be working properly. I went into Epox's Health Monitor (in the BIOS) and every voltage in there consistently shuffles between two readings:

+5:_____4.81 - 4.83
+12:____11.85 - 11.91
-12:____-11.86 - -11.95
-5:_____-5.20 - -5.25
VBAT(V):_3.07 - 3.08
5VSB(V):_5.51 - 5.53

Are these acceptible?

Last edited by Ilmater; 30th May, 2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 30th May, 2003, 02:29 PM

That shuffling is pretty normall.

If your worried use a multimeter to test the 5v and 12v lines on a molex connector.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.