AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th June, 2003, 02:56 PM

8RDA3+ problems continue for me...

Don't feel like re-typing my last thread concerning this board but all I can say is the newest BIOS didn't help much and actually hurt when using 9x-10.5x multipliers. I can't do much of anything when using those. 8.5x and 11x seem to like up to 205MHz in dual mode but again, I can get to 230-235MHz when using one stick in either DIMM slot #1 or #3.

I'm waiting for some brand new ram but I'm 99% sure that won't help since my current RAM can run 225MHz dual mode in an 8RDA+.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2003, 05:28 PM

well i have the same board. it reboots or freezes windows even at 133fsb dual channel sync. i'm on my third pair of memory sticks, second gpu, second clean 2ksp2 os, second 1700+dlt, second totally different driver suite, second power source and into my second week with a limping system. just updated the s-ata driver cause i'm running off a raptor (the only reason i have this board). i have yet to flash mine due to posts like yours and i'm shying away from another expensive psu especially as the extra 12Volt line is feeding the cpu. the only possible causes left, besides the board or bios, are the raptor itself and the psu. the fact that it crashes in a similar way at all sorts of fsb's and cpu speeds means that this psu would really have to suck badly for it to be the issue.
i smell another rma coming on
good luck with yours
Old 14th June, 2003, 06:00 PM

Try setting the CPU interface to agressive, that might free up the 9X multiplyer.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th June, 2003, 08:53 PM

Already running agressive and I just tried water cooling the northbridge and that didn't gain anything.

Damn... I will not give up easily but this little fella is getting me f*r*u*s*t*r*a*t*e*d!
Old 15th June, 2003, 03:02 PM

Don't know what to say about this thing except . I can't set FSB to 180MHz dual mode no matter what setting and I can almost get 200MHz stable(199 is 100%). 205 craps out quickly.

I've tried a couple different power supplies and threw in my XP2100 that I've pushed up in the 230s on my now-dead 8RDA+(I miss ya fella).

What's extremely strange is that 201 is stable on some boots and not on others. And it seems like if it's stable... it's stable. And if it's not... then instant reset.

Vdd I've tried up to 2.0v and Vmem up to 2.9v. And I also tried lowering the voltage since this seems to help once in a while.

I just can't make heads-nor-tails of this guy.

Oh yeah, I've also tried the April 2nd, May 7th, May 20th and May 26th BIOSs and all of them have troubles ~200MHz.

Like I said before, I'll wait 'til my new RAM comes in on Monday and see what that gets me.
Old 15th June, 2003, 03:50 PM

Jeff. it looks like you run a few EPoX's in your farm. did you develop a habit of turning APIC off. did my third reinstall with APIC enabled for a change cause i noticed everything was sharing irq11. attempting to adjust irq's manually was thwarted by the bios (now 33526) and i figured maybe apic would sort it out. after reinstalling with apic enabled i ran prime95 for 3 hours at 10x200 dual channel and it is happy so far. if it hasn't crashed out of windows in an hour now that it is idling i'm going to declare it the most stable it has ever been.
does yours fail under stress or at idle or both depending? are you sure it is stable at certain multipliers? i got closer when i noticed that it failed even 133fsb dc sync and 166fsb sc sync. the fact that it was so weak under almost all conditions got me thinking.
Old 16th June, 2003, 02:35 AM

Yeah, for the most part I'm a Epox guy.

And as far as APIC goes, I've always left it on. Maybe I should try to disable it and see if that helps. And as far as failing goes... the board almost acts like it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it will run "stress" programs fine and then crap out when I try to pull up MBM. Other times it will crap out during Windows boot up procedure.

I've changed everything back to an 8RDA+ I have and it all seems to work fine in that so I'm thinking it doesn't look good for this 3+.

I already have an RMA # from NewEgg.com but I just want to try the memory I should be receiving in it first. If that's it... I'll be a monkey's uncle. (and a happy one at that)