AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st June, 2003, 10:39 AM

epox tech - is the barton & 8rda3+ issue solvable by a bios update?

thinking my board (8rda3+) was faulty i sent it back n they replaced it with another one, this time i can run my barton 3200+ at its normal speed only if i use 1.85v to the core, otherwise it freezes. (the first one wouldnt run stable atall)

just wondering if its a bios thing, or a silicon thing.

thanx.
Old 21st June, 2003, 03:50 PM
EPoX Tech

There is no issue between Barton and EP-8RDA3+.
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
There is no issue between Barton and EP-8RDA3+.
ok then, can the issue of not being able to run my xp3200+ stock speeds on the 8rda3+ be fixed? tried two boards with the same problem, it just doesnt work. if its not an issue how can you advertise the board as compatible when it clearly isnt.

dont get me wrong the 8rda+ is a great board which i still have, the best ever, i was just looking for something better with sata support so i chose the 8rda3+.
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:10 PM
EPoX Tech

It runs fine here and in many systems the world over.
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:18 PM

can i have your board then? swap?
not everyone has an xp3200+ cpu or any other barton running on there 8rda3+, ive even seen with my own eyes a xp1800 running on this board no problems at stock or overclocking above 2400mhz.

to prove somethings wrong, how come if i set my cpu to 6.5-8.5 x 217fsb, it runs flawlessly. but if i set it to 9,9.5,10,10.5,11,11.5,x 200 it freezes?
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

It's probably just problems with your chip. Remember overclocking is NEVER gaurented. Tread lightly here please.
Thank you,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
It's probably just problems with your chip. Remember overclocking is NEVER gaurented. Tread lightly here please.
Thank you,
Rob
im not overclocking..... the cpu dont work at stock speeds with this board. its a genuine xp3200+ cpu.

which chip?
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:38 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How's your cooling? What are your temps?

Baggering the Epox Tech will only get you a one way ticket out the door.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:40 PM
EPoX Tech

Building a stable system is all about balance - pointing the finger at any one given component doesn't solve any issues.
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Building a stable system is all about balance - pointing the finger at any one given component doesn't solve any issues.
okey cokey, but everything as been tested on 8rda+ plus different memory modules have been tried, plus different cpu & power supply. even videocard n harddrive, same thing happens.

cya for now, losing interest..
Old 21st June, 2003, 05:57 PM
EPoX Tech

8RDA+ is not for 400FSB
Old 21st June, 2003, 06:02 PM

Quote:
8RDA+ is not for 400FSB
now i really am losing interest.....
Old 21st June, 2003, 06:07 PM
EPoX Tech

You should apply for my job I think :clown:
Old 21st June, 2003, 06:48 PM

If your chip requires extra voltage to run default speed then maybe you got a bad chip. I don't think it can be the motherboard as you've tried two. Sounds like a bios problem. I'm running a XP 1700+ at 2.5GHZ 200fsb on a 8RDA3+.
Old 21st June, 2003, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by walnuts
If your chip requires extra voltage to run default speed then maybe you got a bad chip. I don't think it can be the motherboard as you've tried two. Sounds like a bios problem. I'm running a XP 1700+ at 2.5GHZ 200fsb on a 8RDA3+.
just been testing the memory using memtest86. explain this one,
why would the memory test pass at 6.5x217. n fail at 10x217? this is using 1.65vcore, 2.90v vdimm, 1.6v vdd. 1.5v agp.
stock speed is 2200mhz?

my 3200+ as been running quite well in a 8rda+ so the chip is fine, when i sent the first board back i put it back in the board n it worked. (1.65v)

so explain to me what the problem is if its not the board?
i suspected it was the memory but apparently not. theres only the board to blame now.
Old 21st June, 2003, 09:14 PM

My 8RDA3+ is quite picky about memory. I bought some OCZ PC3500 for £160 10 months ago and it wouldn't even pass memtest at 180MHZ and would always crash the computer so i contacted OCZ who told me to use dual channel optimised memory for a dual channel board. Bought some Twinx Corsair 3200LL know i can run the memory at 200MHZ.

RMA the board, looks like you've tested for everything the board looks like the culprit.

Last edited by walnuts; 21st June, 2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 21st June, 2003, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by walnuts
My 8RDA3+ is quite picky about memory. I bought some OCZ PC3500 for £160 10 months ago and it wouldn't even pass memtest at 180MHZ and would always crash the computer so i contacted OCZ who told me to use dual channel optimised memory for a dual channel board. Bought some Twinx Corsair 3200LL know i can run the memory at 200MHZ.
yea thats what i thought, it could well be cos im using corsair xms pc3500 modules, that it fails. but still doesnt explain why it works with a lessor speed multiplier, unless the memory cant cope with the bandwidth at that speed..
then again theres still the issue of it working on 8rda+.
oh well, gonna try some other memory soon enough.
Old 22nd June, 2003, 07:26 AM
EPoX Tech

EP-8RDA3+ supports 200 host clock, not 217
Old 22nd June, 2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:
EP-8RDA3+ supports 200 host clock, not 217
stop it your making me giggle.

ok lets talk normal operation, why doesnt my xp3200+ work at its normal frequency of 11x200? @ 1.65v? on the 8rda3+? what could cause that?
Old 22nd June, 2003, 02:29 PM

Quote:
why doesnt my xp3200+ work at its normal frequency of 11x200? @ 1.65v? on the 8rda3+? what could cause that?
Where should I start? Memory timings or incompatible memory, general bios settings, PSU (output & quality, esp for 12v rail), cooling (generally & for PSU), CPU interface setting, scrached or chipped core on CPU........... etc

I know what your going to say, that it all worked on another board, well thats a different board & its bios may be set different.

The trouble is everyone always thinks the mobos knackered when something goes wrong. I'm guilty of that too. A few days ago my video output went screwy & in all the messing around my board wouldn't post. Well, it was the monitor that was knackered & the board just needed the CMOS cleared & now its good again!

Print your sig if you want better help
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.