AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th June, 2003, 08:41 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Couple of quick 8rda3+ questions/observations

Just installed my third epox board in just over a year a rev1.1 version of the 8rda3+. Initial impressions are pretty good, runs at up to 215 with 1.6 Vdd and booted up to 225 with 1.8. dual channel.(At last I can test my ram properly) Seems to be a lot more stable out of the box than the 8rda+ was, subjective maybe, but first impressions count

Any way, the questions are.

1. When going through the boot process I get a red text box coming up, saying "Bios Flash, do not switch off or reset". Those words may not be exact as I'm not at the computer just now. On one boot up I also got a grey text box asking if I wanted to easy boot from Hdd or Fdd. Can't see anything in then manual on this so is this normal?

2. Second observation is that the 8rda3+ seems to report temperatures differently from the 8rda+. With the same XP2500 and same vcore mbm seems to show temps about 10/12c higher than with the 8rda+. I've reseated the block just to make sure its not user error and still the same. Is this something to be expected and has anyone else seen this?

I still havent really had the time to experiment too much yet but I'm really optimistic about this board Thanks in advance
Old 30th June, 2003, 09:49 AM

1. Stops corruption in the bios by doing this. hould only get it when you change you multi or fsb.

2.8RDA3+ reads temps from cpu on-die, not from a sensor under cpu. Gives on general 10-12c over as you have found. The cpu is at the same temp. Just the readings are differnet.

XP1700+ 0310 | 200*12.5 @ 1.775v | Miro Maxxpert Watercooled - all fans @ 5v | Epox 8RDA+ - Vanteq & ram sinks | Corsair XMS3200LL 6-2-2-2 | Radeon 8500 - 310/630 - Ram sinks | Yamaha sw1000xg | Maxtor 30gig | IBM 60GXP (has failed on me twice) | Modded Enermax 350w PSU

XP2200+ 11.5*145 @ 1.4v | Retail Cooler | Abit KR7a Raid | Crucial PC2100 4 bank, cas 2, 2-5-2, 1T | ATI Rage IIc | Maxtor 30gig | Alcatel 330 USB Modem | No name 400w psu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th June, 2003, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoZa
1. Stops corruption in the bios by doing this. hould only get it when you change you multi or fsb.

2.8RDA3+ reads temps from cpu on-die, not from a sensor under cpu. Gives on general 10-12c over as you have found. The cpu is at the same temp. Just the readings are differnet.
Thanks thewoZa.
I thought they were both in socket? Certainly seem to be.
http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=557&page=4
Old 30th June, 2003, 12:34 PM

maybe the bios has been recalibrated or something. i had the exact same 10degree jump and of course i enjoy the accuracy. i did notice that when switching from an xp1700+ juicb-dltc to a juihb-dutc that the temps are lower on the juihb-dutc when using extra voltage.
Old 30th June, 2003, 01:50 PM

thewoza is wrong.

The 8rda3+ temp will be different as it uses a flexible thermistor type that pushes onto the back of the CPU rather than one soldered in the socket.

Not that either are particually accurate.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th June, 2003, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holst
thewoza is wrong.

The 8rda3+ temp will be different as it uses a flexible thermistor type that pushes onto the back of the CPU rather than one soldered in the socket.

Not that either are particually accurate.
Thanks . I'm not worried about it not being accurate. It just gives me a very rough idea of how the coolings doing.