AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2003, 01:33 AM

Booting up to FF code

hi guys
My mainrig(epox 8rda+) boots to a FF code and it won't go away. My monitor won't show but the fans spin and the cd-rom lights show. Any idea's ? Is my board dead ?
Old 1st July, 2003, 01:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mpa4712

My memory caused this to happen, if your using two sticks, try only one.

mark
Old 1st July, 2003, 01:49 AM

ok i'll try it.
Old 1st July, 2003, 01:59 AM

Nope didn't work. Could it post this FF code if the cpu is dead ?
Old 1st July, 2003, 02:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If it runs through it's BIOS check, then stops at FF it's a good thing. If it just posts FF, it's a bad thing.

Have you had this board working in the past or is this a new M.B. install?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2003, 02:26 AM

I had it working in the past without a hickup. What i did recently was change the PSU to a Antec 480truepower. That's when all the trouble began. And another thing that happened was that i forgot to plug in the fan when i booted up with the new psu and went in the bios to check things out. When i realized that the fan was not spinning i raced and shut the pc off by fliping the switch on the back of the psu. Then i hooked the fan back up and booted up. Then i saw the FF code thing pop on the led box inside the motherboard. Did i fry the cpu ? did i fry the board ?
Old 1st July, 2003, 02:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Did you have the Emergency shut off in the "Health" section of the BIOS setup to shut down? If not I'm afraid you may have fried it. Have you another CPU you can test with? If so set you BIOS to Defaults and install the other CPU and see if it works. Im assuming it was the CPU fan you forgot to plug in.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2003, 02:37 AM

Yea it was the cpu fan. I have another cpu around somewere. I'll put it in the board and tell you the results.
Old 1st July, 2003, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
I had it working in the past without a hickup. What i did recently was change the PSU to a Antec 480truepower. That's when all the trouble began. And another thing that happened was that i forgot to plug in the fan when i booted up with the new psu and went in the bios to check things out. When i woke up and realized that the fan was not spining i raced and shut the pc off. Then i hooked the fan back up and booted up. Then i saw the FF code thing pop on the led box inside the motherboard. Did i fry the cpu ? did i fry the board ?
A FF code means either one of the following : successful boot into your OS, faulty board, corrupt bios or dead CPU.

You mention that you did'nt hook up the the HS fan, now what should happen is the over heat protection should kick in when your CPU hits 110C and cut power to your board, the fact that this did'nt seem to happen does not bode well for your CPU

If you have'nt tried already, power down, turn the PSU isolator to off and then diacharge any residual current by depressing the power on switch. Then turn your PSU on and power up and tap the insert key. If that makes no difference to the situation then I'd recommend removal of your CPU and examine for heat damage, if none is apparent try the CPU on another board if possible to rule out faulty CPU.

HTH.

| Abit NF7-S V 2.0 | 1.8v Vdd (modded) | XP 1700+ DLT3C 0319 1.95v @ 2495 Mhz 217 x 11.5 |
| 2 x 256 TwinMos w/ Winbond BH-5 DC 10,2,2,Cas2 @ 3.0v Vdimm (modded) |
| Connect3d ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Innovatek Water Cooled CPU & NB, actively cooled SB |
| Adaptec 39160 | Seagate Cheetah ST318406LW | ST336706LW | Lite-on CDRW |

Old 1st July, 2003, 03:00 AM

OK i removed the old cpu and tried another cpu from one of my other rigs. I put it in and bootup and got FF again. Then i tried to reset the cmos useing all of the methods pita norf described but to no prevale. hmmm..any other idea's ?
Old 1st July, 2003, 03:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well you can test the M.B by removing it and testing with just RAM and CPU, if it runs the BIOS checks and goes to FF it's not the Motherboard.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 1st July, 2003, 03:48 AM

ok will do. I'll try right away.
Old 1st July, 2003, 04:01 AM

Ok well i took everything out of my case and just pluged in the HSF, Ram, and cpu. I still got the FF code. I tried all the tricks to resetting the cmos again but it was a no go. Should i try taking the bios chip out and putting it back in ?
Old 1st July, 2003, 04:04 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

If it didn't do a run through before posting FF, then it's time to RMA the board...You did take the M.B. out of the case as well, yes?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 1st July, 2003, 04:12 AM

Just a couple quickies... try jamming on the insert key when you turn on your computer. Try leaving the reset jumper on pins 2&3 for 10 minutes with the power cord removed from your power supply then move it back to 1&2 and power up.