AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2003, 03:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Scruff

What could cause this??

Hardware stats as follows:

Antec 480w max PSU
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1, latest bios
AMD 2700+
Coolermaster HHC-001 HeatSink
Coolermaster ATC-110 Case
2x 512 Muskin PC3200
WD HDD 80gig UDMA 133 8mb cache
Maxtor 30gig UDMA 100
Radeon 9700 Pro
HP 8x8x36 CDROM
Sony 16x DVD
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Gamer PCI
NetGear FA310TX Nic

Ok, here is my problem........I cant install windows XP unless i disable ACPI, either in the bios, or via the F5 method, i have tried just about everything, and am currently seeking help on a similar forum, and if u like i can post the whole story here....all i really want is someone to perhaps explain why XP only works with ACPI disabled??
Old 7th July, 2003, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff
Hardware stats as follows:

Antec 480w max PSU
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1, latest bios
AMD 2700+
Coolermaster HHC-001 HeatSink
Coolermaster ATC-110 Case
2x 512 Muskin PC3200
WD HDD 80gig UDMA 133 8mb cache
Maxtor 30gig UDMA 100
Radeon 9700 Pro
HP 8x8x36 CDROM
Sony 16x DVD
Soundblaster Live 5.1 Gamer PCI
NetGear FA310TX Nic

Ok, here is my problem........I cant install windows XP unless i disable ACPI, either in the bios, or via the F5 method, i have tried just about everything, and am currently seeking help on a similar forum, and if u like i can post the whole story here....all i really want is someone to perhaps explain why XP only works with ACPI disabled??
Uhmmm.... it doesn't. Works enabled for me with or without apic too. Sorry this doesn't help you but it could be something else completely.

Try installing windoze with only cdrom, maxtor hdd (heard of some probs with wd's), gpu, 1 stick of mem, cpu & psu. I would suggest having apic & acpi enabled (no irq sharing & no crackling audio). Make sure not overclocking either.

If this works then add extras one at a time.

Hope this helps.

XP1700+ 0310 | 200*12.5 @ 1.775v | Miro Maxxpert Watercooled - all fans @ 5v | Epox 8RDA+ - Vanteq & ram sinks | Corsair XMS3200LL 6-2-2-2 | Radeon 8500 - 310/630 - Ram sinks | Yamaha sw1000xg | Maxtor 30gig | IBM 60GXP (has failed on me twice) | Modded Enermax 350w PSU

XP2200+ 11.5*145 @ 1.4v | Retail Cooler | Abit KR7a Raid | Crucial PC2100 4 bank, cas 2, 2-5-2, 1T | ATI Rage IIc | Maxtor 30gig | Alcatel 330 USB Modem | No name 400w psu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2003, 03:39 AM

APIC needed to be turned on to rev 1.1 or 1.4 for my friends 8K9A to load XP. ACPI was also on at the time.

Otherwise the board would not boot.
Old 8th July, 2003, 08:08 AM

Normally yeah, ACPI works, my problem is, my puter froze a few days ago, and the ONLY way i can get it to work is to reinstall windows and disable ACPI, either through bios or via F5 method when booting to XP install CD. If i dont disable ACPI boot CD wont get past the part after it loads its initial drivers and says "Starting Windows XP" or something like that, just before it gives the option to either "r" for repair windows or "enter" to install windows, i dont get the chance to even do this, because it freezes unless i disable ACPI.
Old 8th July, 2003, 10:13 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

ACPI is still a rather new technology that requires the OS, the BIOS and the PCI cards to all talk to each other properly! As you can guess, not all of these necessarily manage it properly either. I've had lots of fun with an onboard network card under linux. The moral of that story was that enabling ACPI causes the network card to stop transmitting data.

Personally, I'd look towards devices like the PCI cards - see what happens if you remove the non essential devices (like soundcard) to do the install. Another possibility is to clear the BIOS to clear out some of the ACPI tables that are based on the BIOS info.

Note that none of these may help, as ACPI can be a right pain when it doesn't work properly.
Old 11th July, 2003, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the help guys, i figured out the problem, i just had to disable APIC, NOT!! ACPI. I was reading through mobo manual and discovered my problem. APIC is supposed to be disabled my default, but mine wasnt for some STRANGE reason, even after i flashed bios and reset it, oh well, fixed now *cheers*