AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th July, 2003, 11:27 AM

How do i tell if my processor is unlocked??

Hi,
Can you tell me if i can see if my Athlon 2200 is unlocked in the bios?
I can see all the mutipliers from 5.5 - 13 (i think) but it is set to auto.
I bought the pc from overclockers.co.uk so it might be unlocked??
EPox 8k5a3+
AMD 2200
Radeon 9700pro
WD120gb
Bios from 15/08/2002

thanks
a newbie
Old 9th July, 2003, 11:42 AM
jcool

Its probably not manually unlocked, but that doesn't matter - AFAIK the 8K5A3+ can unlock TBreds via bios - not sure though, just try it out, set your mult manually to 11 or something and see if it posts.
Old 9th July, 2003, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info, but what do i do if it doesnt post.

I'm a newbie to this kinda thing and dont want to fry anything
Old 9th July, 2003, 01:53 PM
jcool

lol you won't fry nothing whilst messing around with Frequencies
If it doesn't post, just power it down, wait a minute and power it up again - it should come up with something like "incorrect cpu setting" and you can change back 2 default.
And if it doesn't come up with something like that, just black screen, you just have to clear the cmos by setting the CMOS clear jumper on the mobo in CLEAR position for a few seconds, then place it back to normal position and your system will power up with bios defaults.
There is no chance of frying/damaging anything.
Old 10th July, 2003, 09:05 AM

tried it but it didnt post,
thanks for your help.
Does this mean i have to unlock the processor and is there a guide to do this anywhere...

Old 10th July, 2003, 01:10 PM
jcool

Yes you can unlock the CPU easily by connecting the 2 Pins of the 5th L3 bridge, see OC inside
However, that will probably only give you the oppotunity to use mults from 6-12,5 and 13,5 (default). Higher mults might not be available - I can
t tell for sure because I never had any CPU with default mult OVER 12,5 so my CPUs are, and always where, limited to 12,5. It is said however that cpus with default mults over 12,5 are able to use any mult when unlocked - I'd say try it out, the mod is easy to do and hard to srec up and even if you don't get the full range of mults you will at least get some lower mults to raise your FSB.
Old 10th July, 2003, 04:28 PM

Thanks Jcool,

Just one more question ,
is there any overclocking i can do before i start messin with the processor.
Like can i up the FSB and how does that effect my AGP and PCI frequencies??

Cheers
Old 10th July, 2003, 09:38 PM

As far as I know most of the tbreds will O/C over 166 on the FSB without unlocking the 5th bridge. at present I run a 2100 tbred b at 174 x 12.5 (13 in bios) and 1.85v on air.
HD5570 ATI
750w Antec PSU
500g x 2 Seagate
160g x 2 Seagate mirrored
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th July, 2003, 09:46 PM
jcool

of course you could try to hit 166Mhz FSB which would set your AGP/PCI to stock values again by enabling the 1/5 divider automatically.
That would be 13,5x166=2241Mhz.
If you have TBred B CPU, good cooling and mem that is capable of pc333 it might be possible - but you will have to up your Vcore a bit.
Please aswer these few questions so I can help you further:
1. What default Vcore does your CPU have?
If you didn''t change that value, what does it show in PChealth for Vcore? Thats what I need.
2. How much/what sort of memory have you got?
What brand, model, and is it capable of running@PC333?
3. How's your cooling?
What CPU-COoler do you use, what Fan/RPM?
Do you have case fans? How many?
Old 10th July, 2003, 10:53 PM

Hi,
My Vcore is 1.7 default i have 1 stick of 512mb Samsung PC2700 original memory( does this run at 333mhz?).
I have a coolermaster case with 1 intake fan, 1 fan on the psu and 1 exhaust.
Case is usually around 35 - 45 degrees at the mo and cpu around 40-55 degrees with heatsink and fan.

Thanks again ...
Old 10th July, 2003, 11:06 PM
jcool

Hi, so your Vcore is 1,7V...
Thats not too good
AFAIK the 2200+ with 1,7V has TBred A core but I'm not sure for I'Ve never seen such an "animal"
Could you please verify that by using CPU-Z ?
Its right in the first window popping up, either the "Brand ID" or the "APIC ID"... please tell me both. It should be either 680 - which is TBRed A - or 681 - which is TBRed B.
Case and CPU-Temp sounds good.
Yes your Sammy will run 166 w/o problems, I had some of these running 190Mhz FSB (PC2700=PC333)
Old 11th July, 2003, 12:09 AM

unfortunately its 680 ...

Can i just up the cpu core to get a performance boost or will i damage the graphics card etc as it raises the pci/agp freq ?
If i can do u know what are safe pci/agp settings?
If I cant then i suppose i have to remove the cpu to unlock it via the method shown? Will i have to get thermol paste to fix the heatsink back on? Also is it easy to remove the existing heatsink without damaging the processor.
Thanks for your help, as you can tell i'm new to this malarky..
Old 11th July, 2003, 12:23 AM
jcool

All right then.
Of course you can just up the FSB a bit - try 150 or so which should be VERY safe. In general it starts to get critical at 160Mhz - which is 40Mhz PCI and 80Mhz AGP. The AGP clock shouldn't be a problem even at 80Mhz, unless you have one of the early R300 (Radeon 9500/9700 cards) which don't like AGPs over 75 or so.
The PCI clock is the critical thing, for its imminent to your PCI devices and harddisk. You won't fry or kill something when the PCI/AGP is too high for one of your components, it could just happen that your Network card won't work properly when you're rinning 40Mhz PCI (if you have one I don't know)
YOu will have to experiment on that.
I'd say try 150 first, it should work fine in any case.