AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th July, 2003, 02:05 PM

Driver_irql_not_less_than_equal

Hi,
I have started seeing this error in certain games and wondered if anyone knew what it could be. I have the following set-up

Epox 8RDA+
T-bred 1700 @2200 (200*11) 1.525V
512 PC3200 Ram
Geforce 4200Ti

I am usinh the onboard LAN and Audio.

The error seems to occur when the game tried to play sound, i get a blue screen with the error :

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL

and it mentions the usb.sys

I am guessing its a IRQ conflict and lo and behold IRQ11 is shared by both the audio and the USB.

As its onboard audio and usb i cannot swap cards around in an attempt to fix the conflict.

I am pretty sure its not an overclocking/temp problem as It only on this one game and the system is stable. I may try running at default speed to double check this though.

Any ideas welcome.
Old 10th July, 2003, 02:20 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calathea
Hi,
I have started seeing this error in certain games and wondered if anyone knew what it could be. I have the following set-up

Epox 8RDA+
T-bred 1700 @2200 (200*11) 1.525V
512 PC3200 Ram
Geforce 4200Ti

I am usinh the onboard LAN and Audio.

The error seems to occur when the game tried to play sound, i get a blue screen with the error :

and it mentions the usb.sys

I am guessing its a IRQ conflict and lo and behold IRQ11 is shared by both the audio and the USB.

As its onboard audio and usb i cannot swap cards around in an attempt to fix the conflict.

I am pretty sure its not an overclocking/temp problem as It only on this one game and the system is stable. I may try running at default speed to double check this though.

Any ideas welcome.
Please ensure :-

Memory timings are set manually using the expert mode and are not by SPD. Set timings in accordance with the specification of the memory module manufacturer.

Ensure that if using Windows XP, Service pack 1 is installed and USB 2.0 subsequently enabled.

Ensure that any USB devices attached are fully in compliance with USB specification, do not draw greater than 500mA at any time and if using a cable/adsl modem, that it is adequatley filtered.
Old 10th July, 2003, 02:34 PM

I have had this problem on a number of different motherboards. The first time it was dodgy ram.

The second time on my 8RDA3+, it was a BIOS change that did it. The new bios from June onwards (without "CPU Interface" selection) causes this to happen on my system. The Bios from May or earlier work fine.

In your case though its likely to be a conflict, so ET will be nearer the mark than me.
Raptor raid
2 x SATA 300GB Maxtor HDD's
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU
Geforce 6800GT
Audigy 2.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th July, 2003, 02:40 PM

From reading around on various pages it seems that the error is quite generic, similar to the ole General Protection Fault that was never very useful in discovering the problem.
Old 10th July, 2003, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay T
I have had this problem on a number of different motherboards. The first time it was dodgy ram.

I also had this issue with kingston ram (one stick was bad). Now with mushkin so far so good.

Epox 8RDA3+ v1.1, 3827 bios, 1.6v Vdd, stock cooling on nb, sb
XP Barton 2500+ @ 200x11 = 2200 mhz, 1.725v Vcore
2x256 Mushkin pc3500 Black Level1 @ dc sync, 2-2-3-8, 2.63 Vdimm
Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro @ stock
WDC HDD 80 gig, 7200rpm, 8 mb cache
WDC HDD 20 gig, 7200rpm, 2 mb cache
300 W noname psu & case one side open, no other cooling
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th July, 2003, 06:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calathea
This message has nothing to do with IRQ in the sense you're probably familiar with! It's to do with the way that ISR (Interrupt Service Routines) handle data, and the way it interacts with the memory manager. Basically, it means that a driver tried to touch a part of memory that didn't exist physically in RAM at that point in time. IE, it was in the swap file, or never existed

This doesn't mean that the ISR (AKA driver) is definately buggy, as these problems can also be caused by hardware, including faulty RAM or insuffient cooling.

If it's only happening in one game, then it tends to suggest things like video drivers or audio drivers.

Áedán