AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th July, 2003, 03:17 PM
EPoX Tech

KT600 - ET overclocks - EP-8KRA2+

Bear in mind I'm only using Samsung original memories and running wierd experimental timings (not low, but wierd), but 215 isn't bad at all - been in Windows earlier at 230 but memory was giving me problems at all levels of voltage (wonder if I should belt-sand the modules and re-mark them?).

Chipset is wonderfully cool (considering its 30°C outside) and I'm sure it will do 230 given the correct memory and person without any mod. Here's a sneak of the cpuz screen
http://www.epox.org/Untitled-2.gif
Going to start stab tests now at this bus - If you want to ask what cooler - It's a Cooljag.
Old 13th July, 2003, 03:51 PM
EPoX Tech

First Bench for stab - running all tests -
http://www.epox.org/Untitled-1.gif
Old 13th July, 2003, 04:26 PM
EPoX Tech

Just benching at 2.37GHz now to see if I have stab ........
Old 13th July, 2003, 04:44 PM

checking to see if you could reach 233fsb with 10 multiplier? i am under the possibly erroneous impression that sata drives are designed for overclocked pci busses. testing this theory may well prove that via boards can run massively out of spec as long as one uses sata drives.

Last edited by flytek; 13th July, 2003 at 07:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th July, 2003, 05:11 PM
EPoX Tech

Just got my 3D Mark past 17,000 but do need to alter the memory stick I'm using if I am to get more performance - the performance is there, but I am unable to tap it since I'm running "an approved" memory type.

So - Don't think that KT600 is weak based upon a low 3D Mark remember that it is part of a validation process and there is a lot more performance there on tap - I'm merely running 7-3-3-2.5 2T No interleave at these buses at the moment - which is what is called for by specification, so the performance is actually very good.
Old 13th July, 2003, 05:28 PM
EPoX Tech

USB Definatley works at 233FSB ! Downloaded from my Sony Cybershot P51 to the system whilst at that host clock .........

No SATA corruption using Maxtor series 9 8MB cache 80GB unit.
No VGA artefacting

It likes high bus speeds!
Attached Thumbnails
KT600 - ET overclocks - EP-8KRA2+-dsc00562.jpg  
Old 13th July, 2003, 05:37 PM
EPoX Tech

Focussed on my moving cpu cooler fan with a high shutter speed and got it stationary !
Attached Thumbnails
KT600 - ET overclocks - EP-8KRA2+-dsc00563.jpg  
Old 13th July, 2003, 05:55 PM
EPoX Tech

I've given up at 2.37GHz which isn't bad considering certain factors :-

1. Using Systems Integrators type PSU of only 250W.
2. Using a basic aluminium cooler with slimline 60mm fan at 4,400rpm.

These are considerations that have to be taken on when testing anything - not everyone has a Thermalright cooler, or Corsair memory or a TTGi PSU. So things need to be tested in worst case scenarios - the ET way!
Old 13th July, 2003, 06:05 PM
jcool

Quite impressive FSB....
But do you really think you will get 3k or so 3dmarks more only with tight mem settings?
I'm still a bit sceptical 'bout the new Via chipset...
Just because its VIA though ;O
Old 13th July, 2003, 06:09 PM
EPoX Tech

I'd be confident of getting a score the same as any other chipset given the memory timings depolyed.

jcool - it's a groovy chipset indeed - the SATA works a treat too - good diagnostic tool etc. Audio is excellent with Jack sensing ability, firewire onboard et al !!!

It really is worth giving a whirl - Very feature packed, and moreover very good value for money.
Old 13th July, 2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
USB Definatley works at 233FSB ! Downloaded from my Sony Cybershot P51 to the system whilst at that host clock .........

No SATA corruption using Maxtor series 9 8MB cache 80GB unit.
No VGA artefacting

It likes high bus speeds!
are you saying that it is capable of 3D or other load for long periods at 233fsb! i'll definately have to get myself one if that is true. what memory timings and voltage are you using if i may ask. must find agp card capable of 80mhz bus speeds. what are you using?
please excuse the 20 question - it is just that i've been looking for a board like that for 6months already. willing to bet that via's at 233fsb are at least as fast as nforce2's because of the rest of the overclocked busses.
Old 13th July, 2003, 06:16 PM
jcool

Quote:
I'd be confident of getting a score the same as any other chipset given the memory timings depolyed.

jcool - it's a groovy chipset indeed - the SATA works a treat too - good diagnostic tool etc. Audio is excellent with Jack sensing ability, firewire onboard et al !!!

It really is worth giving a whirl - Very feature packed, and moreover very good value for money.
Well - if you say that its no crap I'll believe you because I know you are testing it properly
I won't buy one though, why would I - my NF2 does almost 250 Dual sync stable even in 3d - the only thing I need is new mem.
Maybe Winbond could introduce some BH4 that runs DDR500 with 6-2-2-2
Old 13th July, 2003, 06:17 PM
EPoX Tech

Back to 200FSB now as I don't fancy hurting anything un-necessarily for the sake of an extra MHz here or there, when I've got loads of proper test work to be done.

To get 233MHz FSB I was running as follows :-

XP2700+ processor, week 49'02
Samsung TCCC at 3.1v - 7-3-3-2.5-2T no interleave
CPU interface Normal (For the moaners we have options!)
ROMSIP Normal (Standard)
10x multiplier
CPU voltage 1.7v
Old 13th July, 2003, 10:12 PM

when will these be available to purchase from the online stores?

if they are, then forgive my ignorance

I like the VIA chipset, seems more stable than the nForce one.

oh and also, does the AGP card run ok at those high fsb's?

TRM
Old 14th July, 2003, 12:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Quote:
CPU interface Normal (For the moaners we have options!)
What moaners?

Thanks for all the tests ET, I'm really putting confidence in this board. I hope I can buy one soon .

BTW, may I ask you or anyone here what is the ROMSIP? (Excuse my lack of knowledge on this one).
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th July, 2003, 12:36 AM
jcool

YEAH Vdimm up to 3,2V again, at least one thing the Via definately has over the Nforce...
I still can't understand why you guys broke your tradition for the NF by only enabling Vdimm up to 2,9V - the Vreg chip tops out at 3,25V (I have measured & verifyed that myself ) so don't you tell me its not capable of it
Old 14th July, 2003, 06:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Clipse Send a message via MSN to Clipse

agreed, I also loved 3.2vdimm unmodded on my 8k5a2+, that board was a solid performer.atleast my server benefits now

Athlon 64 4000+ @ 3Ghz 1.65v (300x10 , 3.5x HTT)
SHUTTLE XPC N26P NFORCE4 SLI
2x MSI 7800GTX 512MB @ 620/1880 each
2x 1GIG Kingmax Hardcore @ DDR600 2.9v

OLD

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 2.7Ghz 1.5v (300x9 , 3x HTT)
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum Nforce 3 Ultra
Leadtek Geforce 6800 Ultra @ 480/1300
2x 512MB Kingmax Hardcore @ DDR500 2.7v
Old 14th July, 2003, 07:20 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrenay
What moaners?

Thanks for all the tests ET, I'm really putting confidence in this board. I hope I can buy one soon .

BTW, may I ask you or anyone here what is the ROMSIP? (Excuse my lack of knowledge on this one).
ROMSIP is an area of the BIOS that is supplied by the chipset vendor. We have option in KT600 BIOS to alter the way in which this BIOS code is addressed in terms of aggressiveness - more power to the tweaker.
Old 14th July, 2003, 10:22 AM

@ ET

You just forgot the mountingholes moaners!

Any hints if the boards that customers will encounter in the wilderness have four little holes around the socket?

Thanks.

Mad "Mountinghole" Max

----------------------------------
Epox 8K5A2+
XP1800 T-Bred B @2324 MHz (166*14) 1.7Volt, watercooled
2x 256MB DDR-RAM Samsung cl2.5 333MHz @ cl2
1x IBM 60GB 120 GXP @ VIA aircooled
2x IBM 60GB 180 GXP @ HPT aircooled RAID 0
GF FX5900XT VTD128, 128MB, VIVO, watercooled
DVD 16x LG
Burner 32x LG @40x
----------------------------------
Old 14th July, 2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:
ROMSIP is an area of the BIOS that is supplied by the chipset vendor. We have option in KT600 BIOS to alter the way in which this BIOS code is addressed in terms of aggressiveness - more power to the tweaker.
ET, any idea when they'll be available? ignore my AGP question i really should learn how to read properly! haha.

What voltages does the board allow? Also will the price be around the £70ish mark like the other KT600 boards?

I bet it could go upto 250FSB with the correct setup considering the O/C you got there ET. what you reckon?

thanks.

Last edited by The Running Man; 14th July, 2003 at 10:48 PM.