AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th July, 2003, 12:24 AM

Can increasing the FSB do damage...

Being new to overclocking i was wondering if just increasing the fsb(is cpu clock the same thing?) would do any damage or can i freely up the fsb until my system becomes unstable???? Can it damage my graphics card as i have read on these boards that too high an AGP freq can mess with these cards..

I have :
Epox 8k5a3+
AMd xp2200+ (locked i think)
1x 512 samsung original pc2700
Radeon 9700 pro
wd 120gb hd

cheers for any info
Old 15th July, 2003, 12:36 AM

oh and i'm not thinking about touching voltages or anything else just yet
Old 15th July, 2003, 12:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Overclocking CAN fry your hardware, it is a fact. However, upping the FSB a little should not fry anything. As you are new to overclocking, try upping it just a bit first.

CPU speed is = multiplier x FSB. So if multiplier is 12, and fsb is 100, you get 12 x 100 = 1200 MHz CPU speed.
Old 15th July, 2003, 12:51 AM

thanks for the info ,
is there "safe" limits to just overclocking the fsb?? I thought you only hit danger points when you started upping voltages.
I wasnt thinking of doing anything too extreme but if my FSB is at 133 is it safe to bump it up to 140 or even higher maybe?
Old 15th July, 2003, 01:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Oh yeah, don't worry about it. If you go too far and it won't boot, you can just clear cmos and start over in BIOS.

I just wrote the above warning to let you know that bad things CAN happend, but they are not likely to. Good luck!
Old 15th July, 2003, 04:50 AM

thanks