AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th July, 2003, 03:53 AM

USB causing boot problems.

8K5A3+, 10/25/02 BIOS.

Problem. Whenever I have any USB card reader plugged into a USB port or header I get a screen freeze at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". Normally, this is not a problem as I would unplug my old external card reader before a reboot. I recently upgraded to a nice internal USB2 reader and it is a pain to plug it into the USB3 port everytime I decide to reboot.

I have tried all of the BIOS settings I can think of (Boot Order etc) to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Once the reader is plugged in after reboot it works great, just freezes up the sys on boot.

Thanx.
Old 26th July, 2003, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher
8K5A3+, 10/25/02 BIOS.

Problem. Whenever I have any USB card reader plugged into a USB port or header I get a screen freeze at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". Normally, this is not a problem as I would unplug my old external card reader before a reboot. I recently upgraded to a nice internal USB2 reader and it is a pain to plug it into the USB3 port everytime I decide to reboot.

I have tried all of the BIOS settings I can think of (Boot Order etc) to no avail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Once the reader is plugged in after reboot it works great, just freezes up the sys on boot.

Thanx.
Same here but I'm using an 8RDA3+ MB...........

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....55#post1958655

BTW, are you using WinXP Pro and if so, do you have SP1 install or are you using some "other" USB 2.0 drivers for the onbord USB 2.0?

y2kpm
OCZ PC4000 2x1024MB EB Platinum Edition
Seasonic S12 600w
Lian Li PC-60 USB
NEC 3540A DVD/RW
Leadtek PX6800GT TDH 256MB
1 x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB ATA-133
2 x WD Caviar SE SATA-150 160gb RAID 0
Lynx LynxTwo-A (4 In, 4 Out)
Event Studio Precision 8 Monitors
Tannoy PS 110-B Subwoofer
2 x AG Neovo F-419 (R12) 19" Monitors
Saitek Eclipse LED Lighted Keyboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2003, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kpm

BTW, are you using WinXP Pro and if so, do you have SP1 install or are you using some "other" USB 2.0 drivers for the onbord USB 2.0?

y2kpm
WIN2K and SP4. The drivers are the Microsoft USB 2.0 as posted on the EPOX USA site.
Old 26th July, 2003, 02:34 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kpm

y2kpm

The operating system cannot affect the mainboards booting ability apart from in relation to ACPI data written to southbridge on system reset.
Old 26th July, 2003, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
The operating system cannot affect the mainboards booting ability apart from in relation to ACPI data written to southbridge on system reset.

That is well and good, but do you have any solution to my problem? I find it hard to fathom why EPOX would build a board that cannot boot from HDD-0 with a USB storage device attached, hence I assume the problem is on my end of the equation, hence my post for some help/information.
Old 26th July, 2003, 05:11 PM

Did you already try to disable the USB support for mouse and keyboard in BIOS?

Max

----------------------------------
Epox 8K5A2+
XP1800 T-Bred B @2324 MHz (166*14) 1.7Volt, watercooled
2x 256MB DDR-RAM Samsung cl2.5 333MHz @ cl2
1x IBM 60GB 120 GXP @ VIA aircooled
2x IBM 60GB 180 GXP @ HPT aircooled RAID 0
GF FX5900XT VTD128, 128MB, VIVO, watercooled
DVD 16x LG
Burner 32x LG @40x
----------------------------------
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th July, 2003, 10:05 PM
AOA Staff

I have a similar problem if my USB scanner is powered up when I boot.
Old 27th July, 2003, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
Did you already try to disable the USB support for mouse and keyboard in BIOS?

Max
Yup, it was never enabled to begin with, call me old fashioned but I am happy with a PS2 keyboard/mouse. The sad part is EPOX tech support is telling me I have my reader installed wrong or my power supply is insufficient. ????????? I am on my second CF reader and they both work correctly if plugged in/installed after bootup, getting it to boot with a USB reader installed is the bitch.
Old 20th July, 2004, 02:21 PM

Hate to ressurect an old thread, but I've just bought a Twinmos USB 8in1 card reader for my 8RGA+ rig. Hooked it up and Win2k SP4 recognised it without a hitch, suffice to say the device works perfectly in windows.

Upon reboot, the system locks up at the hard drive/cd boot device post screen as mentioned above. At this point I can pull out the usb cable for the reader, and then the POST resumes and win2k fires up as usual. I've only been experimenting with the way the bios boots up, but without any luck. I figured that the system was trying to boot off the reader hence the lockup, so I setup the bios to boot off HDD-0 only. Well that resulted in the same prob. Anyone found a way past this?

For now I've got to use the system with the card reader disconnected. When I need to use the reader, I connect the usb cable to it. Its a bit cumbersome though