AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd August, 2003, 10:11 AM

Unlocking multipliers

Hi I'm running a 8rda3+ with a xp1700 tbred. I'm super cooling the cpu and NB -50f . I can't go higher than 12.5 on the multipliers and I have max out my overclock at 2818.89 . I believe I can go higher but I need a higher multiplier. Please help I want to at least hit 3 gig.
Old 2nd August, 2003, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4
Hi I'm running a 8rda3+ with a xp1700 tbred. I'm super cooling the cpu and NB -50f . I can't go higher than 12.5 on the multipliers and I have max out my overclock at 2818.89 . I believe I can go higher but I need a higher multiplier. Please help I want to at least hit 3 gig.
Need to either paint the cpu bridges to unlock the higher multi's or do the wire trick. Search the forum or google for more details...

XP1700+ 0310 | 200*12.5 @ 1.775v | Miro Maxxpert Watercooled - all fans @ 5v | Epox 8RDA+ - Vanteq & ram sinks | Corsair XMS3200LL 6-2-2-2 | Radeon 8500 - 310/630 - Ram sinks | Yamaha sw1000xg | Maxtor 30gig | IBM 60GXP (has failed on me twice) | Modded Enermax 350w PSU

XP2200+ 11.5*145 @ 1.4v | Retail Cooler | Abit KR7a Raid | Crucial PC2100 4 bank, cas 2, 2-5-2, 1T | ATI Rage IIc | Maxtor 30gig | Alcatel 330 USB Modem | No name 400w psu
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoZa
Need to either paint the cpu bridges to unlock the higher multi's or do the wire trick. Search the forum or google for more details...
Its alittle hard for me to do either. If you could see my mb you would know what I mean alot of insulation. What I have found out so far is that there's only one nf2 mb out there that unlocks all multipliers. Just like to know if its hardware or in the bios.
Old 2nd August, 2003, 04:14 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4
Its alittle hard for me to do either. If you could see my mb you would know what I mean alot of insulation. What I have found out so far is that there's only one nf2 mb out there that unlocks all multipliers. Just like to know if its hardware or in the bios.
Actually there are quite a few now, and it is not related to chipset.

In your case, you need to change the default multiplier to something higher than 12.5x in order to be able to get at the higher multipliers... Painting a bridge won't help... you would need to cut one. The wire trick is the best option.... However if the insulation is tough to get around, then you are stuck with it the way you have it... If you can temporarily remove the CPU, from what I have heard, the wire trick is rather easy. good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 2nd August, 2003, 05:14 PM

tex4, here is where you place the wire for the "wire trick". You only need 1 strand of very fine wire about 1/4" long. Some people use a strand from an IDE cable, I just use 1 strand fron the small #24 wires that are found in most pc's for reset switch, hdd led etc.
Bob
ps click the image below to make it bigger, and either print it out or have it up on the screen if you have a second pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Unlocking multipliers-socket.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd August, 2003, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
Actually there are quite a few now, and it is not related to chipset.

In your case, you need to change the default multiplier to something higher than 12.5x in order to be able to get at the higher multipliers... Painting a bridge won't help... you would need to cut one. The wire trick is the best option.... However if the insulation is tough to get around, then you are stuck with it the way you have it... If you can temporarily remove the CPU, from what I have heard, the wire trick is rather easy. good luck with whatever you decide.
I think I made my mind up I'm going to uninsulate to do this mod.When you say its not related to the chipset does that mean epox could make a bios to unlock the upper multipliers.
Old 7th August, 2003, 09:17 PM

Just to let people know, the wire trick does not unlock the upper multipliers on this mb with a t'bred B .I think you have to open the third and 5th bridge on the L3. Sometime in the future I'll try it.
Old 7th August, 2003, 10:46 PM

don't know about any wire trick, but i have built quite a few 8rda+ systems for overclocking, and on some of them i got all multipliers, and on some i got up to 12.5... i think it had to do with if the cpu was defualt multiplier higher then 12.5 or not. but i didn't test too much cause i didn't want to mess with other ppl's computers once i had them all working ok. 225fsb? if your northbridge is at -50 degrees, then could it be your ram holding you back? good luck with getting them 13+ multipliers
ATI 9800Pro @ 420/760
lots of hard drives on highpoint RocketRAID 404 (some in raid...some not)