AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2003, 08:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kontrollverlust

Hard drive issues?/IDE problems?/I'm confused.

Alrighty. I'm on the 8K9A2 board (non + version) Let's start off with all my specs.

AMD AthlonXP 2500 (barton)
Epox 8K9A2
512MB Corsair XMS3200
Enermax 465P PSU
GeForce4 ti4200
WD 80GB drive 7200rpm
WD 20GB drive 7200rpm
Liteon DVD drive and CDRW

Anyways, here's the issue. I was on the 2/12/03 BIOS but it was really flakey with me overclocking. I saw there was a new BIOS dated in July off the Epox site so I went ahead and grabbed that and all seemed great. I made it up to 195 before getting any Hard Drive corruption stuff. So I back it off to 190 and it's running great. Then the problems start. After having the computer on from say, 24-36 continuous hours without a reboot, it starts locking up. I'll be in the middle of a song and everything just freezes for around 10 seconds. Can't move the mouse or anything, but the HD access light on the front is lit up. Then it goes back to normal for about 20 seconds and I then repeats the process. I have to reboot my computer at this point. When I reboot while it's doing this it sits at the detecting IDE drives and never does anything (this is a warm reboot by the way) So I power everything off and do a cold reboot and it works. Then about a day later...the same problems. I tried flashing back to the previous BIOS and I'm back on the 2/12/03 BIOS getting the exact same problem. I turned all my overclocks off and the problem persists. I'm kinda stumped on what to do. Would setting the access mode to the hard drives manually possibly help? What access mode should I choose if so? When using the Winflash should I click for it to clear the CMOS, and update the PNP and DMI areas as welll (by default they're unchecked) So any suggestions would help, hopefully I didn't kill my hard drive...
Old 5th August, 2003, 08:54 AM

Which IDE drivers do u use?
Powercolor Radeon 9700 Evil Commando 2 @ 326/326mhz
Western Digital WD800JB
Elan Vital A-10
Coolermaster HHC-01
Vantec CCB-A1C
Zalman MFC1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2003, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBonE
Which IDE drivers do u use?
The latest 4in1s from VIA
Old 5th August, 2003, 09:04 AM

I'm not familiar with your Mobo, but your bridges might be overheating. The worst case would be a dmaged capacitor. Can you check these?
Powercolor Radeon 9700 Evil Commando 2 @ 326/326mhz
Western Digital WD800JB
Elan Vital A-10
Coolermaster HHC-01
Vantec CCB-A1C
Zalman MFC1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2003, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBonE
I'm not familiar with your Mobo, but your bridges might be overheating. The worst case would be a dmaged capacitor. Can you check these?
I will check it out now. I have really good airflow so I don't think that's the problem (i hope that's not the problem)
Old 5th August, 2003, 09:44 AM

hmm didn't see any damaged capacitors, and I dusted off the inside. Hopefully this fixes it
Old 5th August, 2003, 11:52 AM
jcool

if these constant system freezes persist even when not oced you have either damaged something whilst OCing or your HD corrupted OS data and it's a SW problem now - this is more likely I think.
At first I thought it would probably be the heat but if it happens non oced too its got to be something different.
And remember for further OCings - always set your HD to ATA66 for high PCIs
Old 5th August, 2003, 05:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sounds like you've already corrupted your OS...
Reduce the HDD in the bios to force DMA4 (ATA66).

Then, back up all important data, and reformat.

Odds are, the OS is corrupted just enough to act like a gremlin in your machine... screws up, just when you least expect it.... only one sure fire way to clean it up.
Old 5th August, 2003, 08:15 PM

Tight memory timings have caused HD problems for many users, myself included.

Tras at 5, for example, has resulted in a lot of re-installs.

Hope this helps!
Thermalright 900U
Antec 430 PS
WD800JB
ATI 9500 Pro
Old 6th August, 2003, 07:17 AM

Formatted and reinstalled. Hopefully this fixes it Thanks to everyone for the quick replies! I looked around in the BIOS and the only thing I could change were the PIO access thingys. Could anybody direct me as how to run it at ATA66? Would running ATA66 at a FSB of 200 be the same as running it at ATA100?
Old 6th August, 2003, 12:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Don't look where the HDD is detected...
Look under the peripherals (or onboard devices) section for IDE controllers. There should be a breakdown m/s for each device that you can set the speed.... they should default to AUTO.
Old 18th August, 2003, 01:52 AM

Alrighty, the RAM timings seemed to be the issue. I'd like to try to overclock again. I found the IDE settings. The places it said Auto were for the PIO modes for the Primary/Secondary masters and slave. I put them all to mode 4, was this what you were talking about? Now if I raised the FSB would it also increase the IDE to the equivilant of ATA100?

Edit: I've looked around at the UDMA stuff but the only options there are for it is Auto and disabled...

Last edited by Kontrollverlust; 18th August, 2003 at 02:27 AM.