AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th August, 2003, 11:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Cacker

Too hot --> blue screen of death :(

Hi,

My PC is set up as follows ;

AMD XP2200 + ThermalTake Volcano 9
GF4 4600
2 IBM HD
1 WD HD
EPOX 8RDA+ (ver 1.1)
BIOS @ 3716 **
TwinMos 256mb PC3200 x 2 (dual channel mode)
Win2k Prof + SP3
northbridge (heatsink + fan)
southbridge (heatsink + fan)

** i flashed to 3716 to see if it was a memory issue. I flashed back to 3129, but same problem.

The problem I'm seeing is at overclocked and stock speeds. I used
to be able to run it stable with FSB @ 190mhz, Memory @ 380mhz,
CPU @ 1800mhz (my cpu doesnt seems to be fairly oc intolerant,
perhaps due to heat). But now the ambient temps are much higher
its having probs.

Starting temps : CPU 41'C System 32'C
Stressed temps : CPU 50'C System 44'C

When I play games or use Prime95, once the temp gets to around 50/44 I get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, everytime. I know the ambient temperature at the moment is pretty damn high (bit of a heatwave here in the uk .. yesterday broke all records and was 38'C) but still :o(

So I opened the case, and put a desk fan blowing at max power, pretty much covering the whole board.

With the desk fan, stressing the computer now I get pretty much
the same temps as idle ;

CPU 43'C System 32'C

I turned off the desk fan, carried on playing, temps rose and then
finally, bang, BSOD :o(

Firstly is it the CPU or the System temperature thats causing the
problems. Secondly, a desk fan doesn't actually cost much, 17 gbp,
perhaps someone should design a silent 12" fan integrated into the
side of the case :o)

At the end of the day, my 2 IBM drives are damn hot, the GF4
chucks out its fair share too. Thats without considering the CPU
and system components :( I thought it might be the memory, but
the sticks dont seem to get all hot (too touch) .. and anyway, i
havent oc'd them.

What are my options ? Even if it survived at these temperatures, its
chucking out to much heat (room gets unbearably hot).

Vapochill and watercooling are all around 400gbp/150gbp + respectively. Too much. I was considering buying a second had fridge and putting it inside :/

/Chairs

Cacker

Last edited by Cacker; 11th August, 2003 at 01:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th August, 2003, 03:09 PM

if you are thinking about the fridge go here www.phase-change.com

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th August, 2003, 03:29 PM

Starting temps : CPU 41'C System 32'C
Stressed temps : CPU 50'C System 44'C

With the desk fan, stressing the computer now I get pretty much
the same temps as idle ;

CPU 43'C System 32'C

Your system temp behavior is strange. Your CPU temp range also seems a bit high.

For example, here are my idle/stressed temps @ 200 X 11.5, using Prime95:
CPU: 41C/47C (idle/stressed)
System: 28C/28C (idle/stressed)

This suggests that you have very poor case ventilation. You need better case air through-flow to displace warm internal air with cooler ambient room air.

Hope this helps!
Thermalright 900U
Antec 430 PS
WD800JB
ATI 9500 Pro
Old 11th August, 2003, 05:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Your options are limited, especially if you're concerned about heating the room.

Remember that any cooling system that involves a heat pump (be it phase change or peltier) will involve extra heat being thrown out into the room. Both the Vapochill and the fridge options will increase the total heat output - in the case of the fridge, it might be as much as another 150W worth of heat!

Any part of the hardware in the chain could cause problems. However, the most likely culprits are the CPU and the north/south bridges.

That pretty much leaves watercooling with a remote radiator (IE, blowing into the outside world rather than the room with a PC in).

bad4u - remember that the ambient air around his PC is probably around the 30-32C mark already, so it won't be possible to drop below this.
Old 11th August, 2003, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to RangerJoe

if you have the tbred A 2200...then you are lucky, because those are GOOD temps for this chip. if its a B, you might just have a crappy heatsink. but those tbred A 2200's are INSANE with heat.

get a new cpu....and an slk-800 or something :/
Albatron Ti4200P Turbo
SLK-800a w/ Sunon 84 CFM fan
My Heatware

My name is actually Phillip.
Need hosting? Check out my hosting site here.
Old 11th August, 2003, 08:04 PM

Hi,

True, I can't make heat disappear, I suppose I have to conform to the law of physics like everyone else )

The CPU is Thoroughbred core (ie 0.13 micron not the older hotter 0.18 micron).

I think the first thing i will do is get a full tower and improve air flow in/out of the box.

Chairs

Cacker

Cacker
Old 11th August, 2003, 11:00 PM

Get a w/c setup. It will be pretty future proof and will help o/c's and keep temps much lower. If you get a good block and pump (£70) then an old matrix heater core from a car scrapper (£5) you have spent about what you will spend on the full tower case. Throw in a couple of 120mm case fans at 5v/7v and it will be silent too...

Cause of bsod's probably northbridge temp (44c too high). What cooler you got on it? Even if you only take off the stock nb cooler, remove the goo and replace with as3 you will benefit. Add a 40mm fan on top and you will have no probs at stock fsb (166).

XP1700+ 0310 | 200*12.5 @ 1.775v | Miro Maxxpert Watercooled - all fans @ 5v | Epox 8RDA+ - Vanteq & ram sinks | Corsair XMS3200LL 6-2-2-2 | Radeon 8500 - 310/630 - Ram sinks | Yamaha sw1000xg | Maxtor 30gig | IBM 60GXP (has failed on me twice) | Modded Enermax 350w PSU

XP2200+ 11.5*145 @ 1.4v | Retail Cooler | Abit KR7a Raid | Crucial PC2100 4 bank, cas 2, 2-5-2, 1T | ATI Rage IIc | Maxtor 30gig | Alcatel 330 USB Modem | No name 400w psu
Old 12th August, 2003, 11:39 AM

Hi,

The other option of course, is to just keep my 14.99 desk fan blowing into the case

What I ideally want is the effect of car aircon, blow chilly cold air into the box. Cool all the components down at the same time. wc can at most cool the cpu/vga/chipset ? what about the HDs ? the hot mosfets etc ?

What's the heat transfer mechanism in car aircon, ie how do they cool the 'air'. I can't think it's just air blown over the evaporator ? I was wondering if there was a way to do it with a peltier. I'm thinking of an external unit that would generate cold air, which could be ported into the computer easily.

Chairs

Cacker
Old 12th August, 2003, 12:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The heat transfer mechanism in car aircon is exactly the same as any other aircon. It's just air blown through an evaporator... Of course, there's all the other parts that drive the aircon too. (condenser, compressor, expansion valve, etc)

A peltier won't get anywhere close to the throughput that aircon can offer. A small aircon system can pump 8000BTU worth of heat. Acheiving that with peltiers would require pretty close to a 4KW peltier system together with a method for dumping the heat. That would make it significantly more expensive (as in orders of magnatude) than going out and buying a small airconditioning unit!
Old 13th August, 2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacker
Hi,

True, I can't make heat disappear, I suppose I have to conform to the law of physics like everyone else )

The CPU is Thoroughbred core (ie 0.13 micron not the older hotter 0.18 micron).

I think the first thing i will do is get a full tower and improve air flow in/out of the box.

Chairs

Cacker
Both tbred A + B are 0.13 micron palamino was 0.18. tbred B is a bit bigger and has more layers or something that help heat isssues.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)