AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th August, 2003, 05:59 PM

4PCA3+ and SATA RAID

Hi all,
I'm new to this, and have no idea what sort of response i will recieve, but thanks in advance for anyone taking the time.

I have the above mobo with:

1 * IDE 80Gb Disk
1 * IDE 20gb Disk
1 * DVD
1 * SB Live!
1 * P4 2.8Ghz 800FSB
2 * 256Mb PC3200 Samsung
All stock speed - no overclocking
MS XP Pro with SP1.

Just bought 2 * Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80Gb SATA Drives. Not IDE with convertors.

Plugged drives into mobo. Enabled SATA in BIOS.
Intel SATA RAID BIOS sits for about 5-6 mins on copyright banner before seeing drives. Then I get blank screen for about 4 mins. Then XP Pro takes a further 5 mins to load (Usually takes about 30 secs), then the drives aren't recognised anywhere.

I've DL Intel SATA RAID s/w v3.5.0.2568 for XP. The BIOS on POST show as 3.5.0.2459.

I've tried doing a fresh XP install from original CDROM with both the ICHR5 drivers that came with the board, and the new ones from the Intel site. All give same results: XP Installer can't see the drives.

I've looked through the other threads on this Forum. Although 1 is similar, none are the same.

I've written to Intel and Epox, and they are yet to give me anything back. Not sure how helpful they will be.

Incidentally, if i enable 1 drive as IDE, this works fine. So i think drives are OK.

Anyone. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean.
Old 11th August, 2003, 10:42 PM

OK. Intel helped out. It was the BIOS version. Updated and all went swimmingly.

Thanks for looking people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanus
Hi all,
I'm new to this, and have no idea what sort of response i will recieve, but thanks in advance for anyone taking the time.

I have the above mobo with:

1 * IDE 80Gb Disk
1 * IDE 20gb Disk
1 * DVD
1 * SB Live!
1 * P4 2.8Ghz 800FSB
2 * 256Mb PC3200 Samsung
All stock speed - no overclocking
MS XP Pro with SP1.

Just bought 2 * Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 80Gb SATA Drives. Not IDE with convertors.

Plugged drives into mobo. Enabled SATA in BIOS.
Intel SATA RAID BIOS sits for about 5-6 mins on copyright banner before seeing drives. Then I get blank screen for about 4 mins. Then XP Pro takes a further 5 mins to load (Usually takes about 30 secs), then the drives aren't recognised anywhere.

I've DL Intel SATA RAID s/w v3.5.0.2568 for XP. The BIOS on POST show as 3.5.0.2459.

I've tried doing a fresh XP install from original CDROM with both the ICHR5 drivers that came with the board, and the new ones from the Intel site. All give same results: XP Installer can't see the drives.

I've looked through the other threads on this Forum. Although 1 is similar, none are the same.

I've written to Intel and Epox, and they are yet to give me anything back. Not sure how helpful they will be.

Incidentally, if i enable 1 drive as IDE, this works fine. So i think drives are OK.

Anyone. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean.
Old 9th February, 2004, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanus
OK. Intel helped out. It was the BIOS version. Updated and all went swimmingly.

Thanks for looking people.
What version of BIOS solved your problem? I have a 'hang' problem similar to yours with 2x120g maXtor sata in raid setup ( it hangs in raid mode with bios from 25.12.2003)

best regards Proxie
Old 9th February, 2004, 07:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roady Send a message via MSN to Roady

Yea can you plz tell us wich bios version you used.
A client of mine is havind similiar problems and tomorrow i was planning to rma the mainboard cause i couldnt find a solution for it.

Wierd part is that it doesnt hang when u use a older bios version but with the older bios version you cant make a raid setup.
Old 10th February, 2004, 01:30 AM

Epox Sata Raid Bios

OK chaps. I haven't checked bios version yet, and i'm about to turn pute off and go to bed, so will update tomorrow.

Since i last posted this. there have been a number of changes.
1. I'm using Intel RAID accelerator 3.5.0.2568 to create the 2 raid0 stripes. so i guess i'm using software RAID. This works ish with 2 exceptions.
a) it is no quicker than my 80 gig drive listed earlier. In fact it might even be a tad slower.
b) once every 20-30 boots it still refuses to pick up the raid, or reports one of the volumes as missing. either by restablishing the RAID or rebootting it fixes it and this takes a few seconds..

2. So as yet, i still don't have a satisfactory RAID. I've been hoping, meaning to rebuild it with a hardware RAID, but haven't found the time since. (Need to get all my stuff back onto a single drive from a striped system!!! Ghost??).

I eventualy got answers frm intel and Epox who were right helpfull. It was the epox bios that fixed it. I will post the bios ASAP.
Old 10th February, 2004, 01:32 AM

Epox Sata Raid Bios

Oops i've just contradicted myself. Sorry i'm tired. I'll just get you the bioses. You have the Intel accelerator version there.
Old 10th February, 2004, 12:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roady Send a message via MSN to Roady

Lol sleep wel m8

Hope your bios wil fix this wierd problem!