AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:16 AM

Angry 8RDA+ Rev 2.0 Hardrive won't shut up!

Hi There

Having recently just installed a 9700 pro into my system the hardrive won't stop accessing. I re-installed my gr4ti4200 8xagp an it's still the same! I updated the bios to 27/8/2003 and its still the same.

If I just let windows boot, the hardrive acesses intermitently, thought this might be Xp shuffling this around so left it for a full day. Still doing same. Defragged hardrive. Still doing same. reset bios to fail safe and optomised. Still doing same.

Running application manager I can see that CPU Barton 3200+) utilisation goes upto 100 percent at times but averages 2 -11% every second or so.

I have formatted my hardrive an reinstalled, tried a different hardive format an clean install. All showing same problem. Makes games stutter every other second which is a pain in the arse when its showing 16,500 and 5,400 in benches.
Any and all help welcomed and thanked in advance. Thanks.
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:18 AM

Why don't you post your system specs, especially wot hard drive you have
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

System restore running?
CPU utilization (100%) bug on WinXP?
You sure it's running in DMA mode?
Nforce MCP2 IDE driver installed instead of the other one?
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:26 AM

System restore is disabled to keep virus Wilcheia(spelling?) I think it was called off (norton antivrus 2003 installed)which has been removed also.

Its flasing away now as I write an totally depressing me.

The drives are ibm deskstar 180 123gb 7200
an Maxtor d540x 5,400 40 gb
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:31 AM

756 mb pc 3200 200mhx 8 3 3 2.5 (can't get lower without crash)
550 watt gold PSU
Sony 48x burnproof cdrw
barton 2500 (running 11x200 1.75)
open case to aid cooling
fan cooling northbridge,southbridge
fan blowing accross gfx card
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:35 AM

when watching task manager

The memory (physical) and paged just seem to be bobbing about swopping between 20k an 300k while no process seem to be changing

Plus at cpu 100% hardrive light was fully on didn't go off yet looking at the process utilisation didn't show any program using the cpu
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:45 AM

Turn off your swap file and hibernation and all should be solved.
Old 4th September, 2003, 11:55 AM

Hi

I have never had hibernation on (and it has never been selected as an option, just checked to make sure and it is indeed disabled/unchecked)

Could turn off the swop file to solve the problem but I can remeber reading quite alot of software expects there to be one and will crash if it's not there. Some direct x games use it to store the sounds and won't force it into memory even if space is available.

I know that I read it on a thread somewhere, have never tried an just wish that who ever made the flawless operating system on my 7mhz 512k amiga 500 would go an work for Microsoft! lol

Hard to appreciate that such a powerfull computer can be brought to its knees by accessing its hardrive.

Yay My copy of EDGE has just dropped through the letter box!
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:00 PM

Turning off the swap file will only bring stability - XP's paging algorithms are screwy.
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:03 PM

Right I'll put ma copy of edge down, get rid of my swop file, hopefully be able to still write another reply in a few minutes! lol
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:14 PM

Well hibernation disabled and Paging file set at 0mb and is switched off. Still doing it. Starting to sound more an more like ma motherbaords on its way out?
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:17 PM

no its definitely a software problem. give enditall2 a try, it kills all the programs and then you can see whether it still does it.
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/enditall2.htm
The other thing you can try is Linux, has great memory management.
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:23 PM

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/ is a better link as ya don't have to pay for it! lol
Right got it up an running. should I be targetting an specific program? or kill the lot
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

What happens if you disconnect any CD/DVD drive you have in the system?
Old 4th September, 2003, 12:46 PM

first of all you want to kill the lot. if this helps then reboot, and kill them off one at a time till it stops. that way you can get rid of the sucker causing all this.
Old 4th September, 2003, 01:06 PM

Cd/dvd did nothing 2 copies of svchost running neither is laster or welchia virus but when closed down kicks in with the 60 seconds shut down thing which looked like both of the above
Old 4th September, 2003, 01:20 PM

That is Windows' stupid "auto reboot if RPC is shutdown".
Old 4th September, 2003, 01:36 PM

Only things running (and still HD access)
lsass.exe services.exe
enditall.exe winlogon.exe
svchost.exe svchost.exe
Not gone mad there are 2 identical named files running. Closing one is OK close the other an off it goes. I don't know what RPC means "Root program control?"
Old 4th September, 2003, 01:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyBonner
Only things running (and still HD access)
lsass.exe services.exe
enditall.exe winlogon.exe
svchost.exe svchost.exe
Not gone mad there are 2 identical named files running. Closing one is OK close the other an off it goes. I don't know what RPC means "Root program control?"
Remote Procedure Call, both of them are required by Windows.
Old 4th September, 2003, 01:40 PM

winlogon.exe's title in killall is showing up as netDDE Agent