AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 6th September, 2003, 08:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Easyrider Send a message via Yahoo to Easyrider

Angry XP Pro won't install on EP-8KTA3+Pro

Hi!

Trying to upgrade - for 4th time - a PC used for work purposes at my parents' home from Win2k Pro to XP Pro and it just won't go in...

I've tried an upgrade before on the "old" HD (Fujitsu 10Gb, circa 1999 ;-) with Win2k on it and it's frozen after the file copy during first reboot, so this time I got a new Maxtor 40Gb HD and pre-installed it with (a different!) set of XP source files, using the /syspart switch.

Now, as it won't play still, I 'm really suspecting a hardware issue - mobo and/or BIOS issue... Is the 8KTA3+Pro actually XP capable? I ask although Forum members seem to have got it going with XP, I don't see it on the HCL... Anyway, here's a summary of where I am... any help appreciated - I'm totally stuck on this one!

Took old HD out, put new 40 Gb Maxtor in, powered up. As hoped, XP setup kicked in, did hardware detect, then said "Do u want 3rd party SCSI/RAID" thing... First time, as I don't use RAID on the box, I said no. It copied a few bits (Setup, SCSI bits... ususal stuff along bottom) then blue screen appeared as normal, with "Windows Setup" @ top, grey bar @ bottom - "Setup is starting MS Windows"... only it didn't!

Next, as the mobo has onboard IDE RAID (HPT370) - for which I have floppy with latest XP drivers d/loaded last nite (they're available, which makes me think Epox believe the mobo works with XP!) - I fed it the RAID driver next time. Same result.

Spoke to a colleague - I work with PCs professionally, so this is very embarrassing, but never mind! - and he said to remove all peripherals I didn't need and try a build on minimal hardware.

I took out SB128 and modem, leaving just mobo/cpu, HD and RAM (which I also changed, for 2 new 256Mb sticks of PC133 SDRAM just in case it was dodgy memory)... no difference, same result!

Tried disconnecting the Zip100, which is on 2nd IDE (1) channel along with CD - when I did, the machine wouldn't see either old or new HD (both on IDE 0). Had to replug Zip to get them visible... I don't figure!

If I boot W2k (now have boot menu, as I tried upgrade - onto new HD - but with old W2k disk in still), machine generally knows new HD (now set as slave) is there in BIOS and in W2k, and doesn't seem to mind it. In fact, I've reformatted the new HD and laid down a new XP syspart... hope to rejumper to master and try again later today if I'm feeling brave/lucky! ;-)

My thinking is as follows: 1) Old HD is OK 2) New HD is OK 3) Old - and new - RAM is Ok 4) RAID controller cd be problem, but unlikely as I have latest XP driver 5) Peripherals (SB, modem) ain't a problem, as I got same result when I had them out 6) Cd be sth to do with Zip drive - curiously, the HDs are not visible in BIOS when I unplug Zip, despite it being on IDE1 and HDs on IDE0...

Alternatively, only other thing I can think of is if I need a BIOS update?! It's an Award BIOS, v6.00PG (dated 6/14//01 - US dating scheme ;-) which Aida32 is suggesting needs to be upgraded... But before I go down that route, I thought I'd check with you folks - have also mailed Epox UK Tech Supp, but may not get answer until Monday, I suspect...

MS Technet, surprise surprise, has nothing on a query like "XP won't install [on Epox EP... etc]"...

If anyone has any ideas where to go next - apart from a hardware store to get a new Mobo - I'd be immensely grateful!

Cheers!

Colin C

Below, Aida32 summary of hardware I'm using, with certain bits deleted in interests of security...:

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Computer Name ****
User Name **** ********
Logon Domain ****

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Duron, 950 MHz (4.75 x 200)
Motherboard Name Epox EP-8KTA3+Pro (1 ISA, 6 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A
System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (06/14/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter ELSA GLADIAC 511 PCI (32 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive FUJITSU MPE3102AT (10 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Disk Drive IOMEGA ZIP 100
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-104 (10x/40x DVD-ROM)

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 4986 MB (733 MB free)
F: (FAT32) 4759 MB (3940 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical (IntelliPoint)

Network
Primary IP Address ***.***.***.***
Primary MAC Address 4C-62-CE-02-30-19
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (***.***.***.***)
Modem Intel HaM Data Fax Voice Modem #2

Peripherals
Printer Fax
Printer Lexmark Z13 (Copy 2)
Printer Lexmark Z13
USB Device Logitech QuickCam Express
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support
Old 6th September, 2003, 09:34 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Did you try going into the bios and select "load fail safe"
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2003, 11:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mortal Send a message via MSN to mortal

try to reflash BIOS cuz this mobo had probs with installing windows XP if u have GF2MX400, but this prob was solved by new BIOS
Old 7th September, 2003, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortal
try to reflash BIOS cuz this mobo had probs with installing windows XP if u have GF2MX400, but this prob was solved by new BIOS

Had a problem similiar to yours and it ended up being a bad HD cable. Out of a ton checked only one was good for some reason. Took days to figure it out.
Old 8th September, 2003, 02:20 AM

I'm running XP Pro quite happily on an 8KTA3 (not a 3+ admittedly, but the difference is only the Highpoint RAID chip) and have been since XP came out.
Suspect the problem is the Via 4-in-1 timing issue, which can cause strange hangs etc - apart from getting BIOS up to date, I'd also get the latest VIA Hyperion drivers for the chipset.
Old 8th September, 2003, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Did you try going into the bios and select "load fail safe"
Rob
bump
512MB Corsair XMS 3200LL
FIC 9800 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2003, 02:13 PM

I've had trouble installing a few times, and it worked when I booted from the installation CD. Read all of the prompts carefully.

Russ
Old 21st September, 2003, 04:11 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Well, it's been MONTHS!!!! So I guess you figured it out.
Happy Clocking,
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2003, 04:25 PM
EPoX Tech

Ensure that the Highpoint BIOS and Highpoint driver loaded at XP startup using "F6" are identical - not the latest driver as you have done. These must be synchronous. You can only use the latest driver if you have the latest Highpoint BIOS and so forth.

If your BIOS doesn't have a Highpoint BIOS (yes - the Highpoint BIOS is part of the mainboard BIOS and can only be upgraded by flashing the mainboard BIOS) supporting XP, you will not be able to use XP drivers with that BIOS, and hence XP will not install.
Old 19th January, 2011, 01:36 PM

Hi all

Hey! How are you?
Old 19th January, 2011, 02:13 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

How do this bots pass registration?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!